Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now I have my maverick 88, its time to feed her. I bought a 1oz lee key drive slug mold, and thanks to SW, I also have 00 buckshot mold coming from skiesunlimited. Now to get more powder. Am i to understand, that a powder charge for say trap, can be used in a slug load of equal weight??

SV

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
powder charge is based on wieght of the toal shot column, not just the projectile, be it shot or slugs. you have to account for the weight of the wad as well. its minor but enough to make a difference. to start with stick to the publuished recipies and later as your skills advance you can move onto developing your own setups like i do.

Also pick up the precisionreloading shotshell manual i posted about in that other topic.

SW

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why will the mail not come?? My mold should be in today. got the pot all ready with Wheel weights ready to cast. Argggh

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Patience, grasshopper.... LMAO!

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Is it a good idea to use wheel weights for shot gun slugs? I thought pure lead was used in shot gun slugs. That is what I use in my Minnie balls to allow the rim to expand to fit the rifling.-D

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
This raises some concern for me, as I want to cast slugs, but I want the effective range to be longer than 35 yards, but I also want to be able to cast from wheel weights as that's all I have. Is the Lyman mold the only one that will work with WW?

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
IME yes. however if you spend more $$ you can get way better molds from other makers, or you can used BPI sabots with modern rifle bullets. if its limited production with low volume hunting rounds in mind, thats the way to go. lyman makes both traditional foster slug and more modern sabot style molds that work excellent, but cost 60-80$ for a single cavity mold. these do work with pure WW, but the one i borrowed to play with worked best with WW + 3% tine mix. you could also buy hardball lino for these for not alot of money as well.

SW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.