Going to the range is healthy

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bscar, Sep 27, 2015.

1. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Pfftt....i have a private range and shoot multiple times a week. Im still dying more every day.
    The times i go shooting, i ought to be the healthiest man on the face of the earth!!

Spent several hours there just this morning.

Attached Files:

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

The range time may be healthy.... but it's the working to afford to buy all the ammo that kills ya!

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It does relieve stress quite well. A disciplined trip, during which one actively applies fundamentals for slow, fast, single and multiple-shot strings, the concentration is a good mental workout. After a good trip, it actually feels like having completed a meditation session.

5. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I dont know, when some a hole is rapid firing an AR10 with a muzzle break right next to you it's not very much like meditation. It's kinda jolting. It is good practice for SHTF scenarios though.

6. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

On our last day of shift, I remind my Soldiers that I will be having a intervention and Lead Therapy at the local gun range. Very relaxing.

At my last psych eval:
    SSG, have you ever had thoughts of hurting yourself?

A: No Sir, insane people hurt themselves. Sane people hurt those that hurt them.

Dr.: Oookay, I've never heard it put like that....okay. You can go now....seriously.

Passed that one, I think I scared Doc though....see you on the water tower.....through my scope

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    You are right about the ruinous effects of a rapid-firing, muzzle-break-equipped rifle next to you. The ranges where I usually go, rapid fire isn't allowed, though, so that hasn't been too much of an issue.

A couple of the indoor ranges, though, allow it, but those were all with handguns. In any case, I use both earplugs and earmuffs to keep the noise down. When I start out, those rapid strings will definitely shake my concentration early in the session, but then I desensitize and find that I can pretty well sink into my relaxing pool of meditative marksmanship.

8. I tell people I have to undergo some "recoil therapy".
    My wife undestands exactly what I mean but it goes completely over the heads of my anti-gun, left-leaning wingnut friends.
    (Yeah, I got some friends who are like that, but you never know when you'll need a wingnut. :rofl:)

9. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Haven't been to the range since October of last year stupid knee !!!

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well, yeah, but you're married, with children, and have a frick'n lib as an inlaw. That's enough to get any man a stroke.

I'm working on training my kids to make better decisions. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

Its been about 4 months for me since I was at a range. I was teaching a young female to shoot a revolver.

The recoil was getting to her so I had to sort of put my arms around her while she was
    shooting and help her.

12. I have an NRA tee shirt that says "group therapy" on the back.

I do feel relaxed and a little tired when returning from a range trip.

13. Hippie68

Hippie68 Member

Guess I'm lucky , I live in the country so I can go right out on my porch and shoot any time I want. Big stress reliever , although my dogs hate it.

14. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Well, you know what they say: "Keep your friends close, and your meat shields closer"

15. Branth

Branth Member

Well, look at Casanova over here, all smooth with the ladies! :p