Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered everything I need to start casting. Just ordered one mold for right now till I see if I am gonna enjoy it or not. I figured that since midway was giving me a birthday discount on one order I might as well make it worth my while.

So I will now have a couple new sets of dies, melting pot, dipper, flux, alox, lee tl 38sp 158swc mold, bullet puller, and a few other things.

So any tips for the new caster?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I'm not sue if I'll ever get around to casting or not. I just found a guy really close that sells cast bullets pretty cheap. I'm going to try them. If I like them, I may not get around to it.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
welcome to the cult of the silver stream. buy a GOOD pair of thin leather gloves. i use horsehide myself.. keeps thoase random spits of hot lead from hitting your hands. have a dedicated area for your casting equipment set up. putting it away and setting it up each time you use it wastes alot of time.

SW

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
I always wear leather boots, long jeans, long gloves & usually long sleeved shirt. I have a little air movement/venting going.

I drop the bullets into a pail of water. FWIW, I find casting bullets the purely 'fun' part of reloading.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of casting. Best tip is safety 1st. There is a lot of great info on another forum. Here is the link. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ Check them out and spend some time reading their information and you'll save yourself a lot on the learning curve.

2 tips I'll offer now are do not let water, in any amount, get near your molten lead pot and get some bull shop sprue lube. It is available from a member on the above forum. 1 bottle will last just about forever and your molds will love you for it.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Mornin hobbz,
I cast my own and made a few short vid's on doin it.

Check out this page and see iffin anything here can help.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 tips I'll offer now are do not let water, in any amount, get near your molten lead pot and get some bull shop sprue lube. It is available from a member on the above forum. 1 bottle will last just about forever and your molds will love you for it.

Feel free to ask any specific questions.
Believe me I know about the water and molten metal. I work in a steel mill and at least once a week hear/see a good explosion from water and metal trying to occupy the same space. We have have some felt 3 or 4 miles away from the plant.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Well Hobbz guess there is no need to say more about a visit from the tinsel fairy. :cantlook: You've got that well covered.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
LOL tinsel fairy, I never thought of it like that. I have seen my share of metal/water explosions. (worked for aksteel). I plan on getting into casting soon also. good luck on your journey. I'm not far behind.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no, that is kentucky steel, i work for ak steel. it is up 23 on the other side of ashland

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have worked here for almost 3 years. got layed off last fall until jan of this year. but we are getting ready to run full blast again.

anyways, hopefull one day this weekend i will get to try to cast a few boolits

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just got done casting my first boolits. Out of about 150 i did, 77 came out good. i didn't notice till i was done, but sometimes when i closed my mold back up, it didn't line up right... But, I am hapy with the ones that turned out good.

They are lee 158gr SWC tumble lubers for 38/357

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
hobbz,

Good going. Thats not to bad of a % turnout for the first time. As you gain experience the % good will increase. Are you using a 2 or a 6 cavity mold?

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
oil the pins on teh handles when the mold gets warm and that will help with the alignment issues. mine do that all the time. cheaper molds like Lees require a little more tinkering to get 100% out of them. if you havent yet check out the castboolits forum 2TN posted above. i hang out there a little and there is lots of good info there.

SW

1 - 16 of 16 Posts