Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of adding a good .308 semi to my collection for long range hunting. The practical limits of my AK is about 200-300yds depending on conditions which is fine but stretching that to 500yds+ with the .308 may be a good idea since Im pretty flush otherwise.

I am deadly with the AK but Uncle trained me to be a good rifleman so I kind of miss that kind of shooting.

Dunno maybe should leave it as is, opinions?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could get a .308 in an AR platform if you have some serious cash to drop on it. What's your price range?
Less than $1k if possible since then I have to stock a few k of rds and repair parts in addition. I am researching the Saiga .308 AK variant but not sure of the range issues, it would be greater than the 7.62 but unknown beyond that. Of course I would prefer the M-14 but thats a very pricey firearm atm, though a damn good one. Would even go M-1 Garand and 30-06 if the price was right, either are a hell of a combat rifle.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah looking at the Springfield M1-A right now though that may be tough to find. Its as close to Uncles M-14 as Im going to find used at this late date Im afraid.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Yeah looking at the Springfield M1-A right now though that may be tough to find. Its as close to Uncles M-14 as Im going to find used at this late date Im afraid.
Don't overlook the Norinco / Polytech M14 copies that show up on the used gun market from time to time.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Look into the Century Arms CETME rifles. I have one that's pretty darn good and uses the HK G3 / HK91 mags. Runs great, low recoil, and pretty freaking accurate out to 500 yrds. You can even get the claw type scope mounts for it if you want to mount optics/nv/thermal sites to it.

·
Village Amadan
593 Posts
I must be getting old, or worse yet, be exactly what my kids accuse me; a behind the times old fart. When I first read the post about a semi-auto hunting rifle the first thing that came to mind was my .308 semi-auto, not a 'black gun.'

Sorry for the crappy phone camera pics...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you Mr_Mac... I was thinking that Savage makes a Model 11 in .308 for under $600, with a synthetic stock, dual pillar bedding and Accutrigger. My 110 in .30-06 is very accurate, right out of the box with the stock scope.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Given the prices of combat rifles now Im looking into hunting versions now. The only real difference is the hunting rifles aren't designed to sustain a high rate of fire for a prolonged time and magazine capacity is limited. But in general they are more accurate and are easier to find repair parts so Im thinking that may be an equal trade.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
137 Posts
Shot my new Savage Mod 11 yesterday, 223, acu-trigger, acu-stock (free floating barrell) 4 rds top load. 4-12 x 40 Simmons scope, slightly over 600.00. Love it, can't go wrong with a Savage. Doubt if the groundhogs will appreciate it very much.This is the last 6 shots out of 20, at 100 yds. I'm not a marksman, but don't tell the groundhogs. Jim <><

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hehe guys if I had the money to get to get a BAR I would just get the Springfield M-14 clone.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Savage Model 110 in .308. Package rifle deal is a pretty good way to go for getting started with this.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.