Good Christmas This Year

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Flyboy, Dec 26, 2014.

1. So this year, my in-laws were here along with my wife and I (my brother-in-law already lives with us, so just my parents-in-law are here extra).

We've been scraping the bottom of the proverbial bank account so to speak; we're not over our heads and keep our finances well in check, and are preparing for the baby, so we've been cutting spending down to essentials. So needless to say, I wasn't expecting much. Boy was I surprised. My in-laws all pooled their money and I received a brand-new Acer laptop (1TB drive, 8GB RAM, 15.6 inch HD screen, etc.) and the best thing ever; my wife bought me a voucher for a 30 minute flying lesson in a two seat Cessna. Not much, but they let you control the aircraft from right after takeoff to just before landing. It's something I've always wanted to do but have never gotten the money or time to manage.

It's spectacular, I'm very thankful this year. Sadly, Cafepress failed on their end of things; I bought my wife a meteorite necklace, but they, against my express instructions, used FedEx SmartPost to ship it, which means instead of being to flown to England in a timely manner, it is currently on a cargo shop crossing the Atlantic and won't be here until the end of January. The damn thing entered Earth's atmosphere at Mach 20 and yet can't be bothered to cross an ocean in more than a month. Rawr, says I.

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sounds like a good Chtistmass. I remember the early years. My wife quit work to be a mom. Didn't last. :)

Sorry to hear about your troubles with cafeepress.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

3. This might last lol; my wife has never worked since she got done with school. Most of the issue is, she has four degrees, but the places that are hiring either want references she can't provide (many of her teachers don't speak English, and her employment experience consists almost solely of working for her family business, so non-family/friend references are pretty much out), and a stable job, aka one for the Air Force or DoD, require her to be a U.S. citizen, which won't be possible for another year or two at least. She almost got a job with a department store here doing online sales, but the UK requires anyone working in the UK to have a National Insurance Number, which is like a Social Security Number in the U.S. Anyone living here legally, to include myself if I wanted to, can get one, but while businesses are allowed to hire without them, they don't like to, so that job fell through because she was still waiting on her number. She's got it now, but she'll be getting into the third trimester soon, so good luck getting a job after the interview is basically, "I'm pregnant and will need a few months of paid maternity leave right after being hired." :p

4. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like awesome presents. Great news on the upcoming baby. Let us know how the flying goes!

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's not a base model computer!:)

Very nice!

6. Gotta earn my name somehow. :p

7. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

We thought it was because you dressed spiffy.... ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1419693237.692200.jpg