Good deeds from the boys in blue

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Aug 6, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

As a proverbial olive branch to our fine folks who I may have offended by my posting that lead some to believe that I have a problem with police officers, I am going to post some stories of some of the good things they do as well.

I have come to realize that, just like the good guy with a gun, the stories of police officers going above and beyond and really making a difference don't get the attention they deserve.

I would also encourage others here to do the same. I know there out there. Personal experience with LEO's in a positive manner are good too.

This one, while not a perfect example of what I was thinking, is a feel good story about an officer that I just read the other day.

Speeding grandma thanks Idaho trooper for ticket

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/31/us-usa-idaho-grandmother-idUSKBN0G02ND20140731

Of course, we have all heard of stories like these

Texas officer gives homeless man helping hand

Police officer buys homeless man shoes

I LOVE this one

San Fran Police Officers Go Above And Beyond The Call of Duty

Two Officers Go Above, Beyond Helping Elderly Man

2. tallbump

Hero Cop Helps Little Girl After Her Bike Was Stolen

Cleveland police officer goes above and beyond the call of duty

Maine Police Officer Pulls Over Driver For Speeding, Saves His Life

KENNEBUNK, Maine (AP) — Not many people can say they owe their lives to a near speeding ticket.

But 86-year-old Gavin Falconer can. He was pulled over Saturday by a police officer in Kennebunk, Maine. But shortly after handing over his license and registration, Falconer suffered an apparent heart attack and slumped over without a pulse.

Police say Officer Michael Harrington quickly transitioned from writing out a warning for the speeding infraction to administering CPR. A second officer then arrived with a defibrillator.

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Thank you tallbump

It warms my heart to see this post. Much thanks:)

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I appreciate you extending the olive branch.

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Good job guys, thanks

6. rickm

rickm Member

This is the one that always gets me.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WxjZB5S_g7s[/ame]

7. tallbump

Thanks for sharing that video Rick. I have never seen that. I have a guy at church who is a retired State trooper who I know will love that.

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

That's a beautiful video........

9. tallbump

CAUGHT ON TAPE: Cop Saves Choking Woman During Traffic Stop

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/08/13/caught-tape-michigan-cop-saves-choking-woman-after-traffic-stop

This one is from last year, but its still good.

CAUGHT ON TAPE: Hero Cop Saves Toddler From Knife-Wielding Man

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/07/01/video-cop-shoots-man-holding-knife-toddlers-throat-walmart-grocery-aisle

10. tallbump

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/167375-instant-state-trooper-takes-action-saves-man-life/

In The Blink Of An Eye, A State Trooper Cruising Down the Road Saves This Man’s Life

This video, published on the Maryland State Police YouTube page, shows the moment when a trooper sprang into action and saved a man’s life.

The man was attempting to jump off the Tydings Bridge in Cecil County, Maryland on Saturday evening, when this trooper pulled up, immediately jumped out of his car, and dragged him to safety.

It is police officers like this one that look out for us every day, valuing life and making tremendous sacrifices to protect it. Fortunately, given this officer’s gut reaction to fulfill his duty, a man’s life was saved. This officer is a hero.

11. tallbump

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/167577-cop-becomes-hero-puts-breaks-choking-woman-pulled-running-red-light/

Running a Red Light Is The Best Traffic Mistake This Woman Could Have Made Because it Saved Her Life

When Officer Jason Gates walked up to the woman he had pulled over for running a red light, he noticed that she was acting very strange.

Gates told Fox News, “people do a lot of funny things to get out of tickets.” However, it only took him a few short moments more to realize that the woman’s violent wheezing was because she was choking.

Gates jumped to action, performed the Heimlich maneuver and saved her life. It’s diligent police officers like these that make our cities safe.

12. tallbump

The woman on the left is a mother from Miami who was so desperate to feed her hungry family that she was trying to steal a lot of food.

The woman on the right is Miami-Dade County Police Officer Vicki Thomas. Officer Thomas was about to arrest Jessica Robles but changed her mind at the last minute.

Instead of arresting her, she bought Robles $100 worth of groceries:

“I made the decision to buy her some groceries because arresting her wasn't going to solve the problem with her children being hungry.”

And there’s no denying they were hungry. Robles’ 12 year old daughter started crying when she told local TV station WSVN about how dire their situation was:

“[It's] not fun to see my brother in the dirt hungry, asking for food, and we have to tell him, ‘There is nothing here.’"

Officer Thomas says she has no question that what she did was right:

“To see them go through the bags when we brought them in, it was like Christmas. That $100 to me was worth it.”

But Officer Thomas did have one request:

“The only thing I asked of her is, when she gets on her feet, that she help someone else out. And she said she would.”

And guess what? The story gets even better.

After word got out about what happened people donated another $700 for Jessica Robles to spend at the grocery store.

And then best of all a local business owner invited her in for an interview and ended up hiring her on the spot as a customer service rep.

She started crying when he told her:

“There's no words how grateful I am that you took your time and helped somebody out. Especially somebody like me.”

And to think it all started with one veteran police officer trusting her “instinct” instead of going “by the book”.

Courtesy WSVN

13. I'd like to see 100% of the money trail when they pay for these things. There's a good chance that the $ came from a slush fund or from their PR budget. Then they send a press release about out.

An example of a good cop is one that arrest his partner, because his partner took a bribe, etc.

14. tallbump

Wow, who peed in your Wheaties this morning?

15. moona11

It's nice to see that no matter what a LEO does there is always a hater out there to destroy a act of kindness. Just to let you know there is no such thing as a slush fund for doing a act of kindness. What the real reason for that comment. Did you get arrested for stealing or do you just like to stir up s***.

16. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    In all my years of driving I have only come in contact with one obstinate LEO. And he was not that abusive, just had the wrong information, which was the dispatcher's fault. He wouldn't listen to what I was telling him. Which he apologized for, after the dispatcher gave him the correct information.

17. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

I've come across some butthole cops in my life. I've also come across a lot more buttholes working at AT&T, Taco Bell, McDonalds, Sprint, you name it.

A lot of cops get a bad rep for giving someone a ticket THAT THEY DESERVED. Or the ONE time they got a ticket for speeding when they weren't, that 10,000 OTHER times they SHOULD have gotten. If I need to speed, I should have left earlier. Same with everyone else out there.

Many cops will let people go for stuff they have them dead to rights on, as long as the person is polite.

I think that people ought to put the blame squarely on themselves when they get caught doing something that their state legislatures actually took the time to outlaw, and the cities took the time to hire someone to deter. Once that's out of the way, the I bet there are a lot of nice cops out there who actually set out to make the world a better and safer place. Remember - these guys have to do a job that requires them to run towards danger and carry a gun.

18. Nobody did. I only spoke the truth.

Anyone who doesn't realize that these are PR news releases is naive. When was the last time you saw a news article about a cop arresting a 'bad cop' or a cop who committed a felony?

19. I'm not a cop hater at all, never been arrested nor trying to stir things up. Just speaking the truth. I'm currently personal friends with both current and retired ones.

What problem do you have with the truth? Your living a dream world if you think they don't have slush fund(might be confiscated drug money or discretionary budget). I know for a fact they do. You got to out more.

The tip off that these are pr is the fact they are making the news, when they are things that normal people do.

Want a good cop story? I have one and the short version is:

1. Rookie cop being a d-head in emergency room.
    2. Final told to f-off by the injured one.
    3. Cop pulls gun.
    4. Injured person call 911.
    5. Police chief comes.
    6. Police chief ends up suspending cop.
    7. Month or 2 latter cop tell injured that sooner or latter he'll get him.
    8. Police chief called.
    9. Police chief fires cop & has cop's license pulled.
    10. Ex-cop will never be one again.

This happened not to far from here, but in a different state.

Now that is how the police should function.

20. moona11

It don't need to get out more. I do it for a living and you don't. This I heard from so and so is 3rd hand info. Which is generally bs. Is it a bad thing for a LEO to get good press every no and then. For the record its against the law to use those types of funds to do that. You get a set budget and can only us it for certain things. Buy a lady groceries is not on of those things. Its a human helping a fellow human in times of need
    We do shop a cop here every year for the under privilege children. He pay it from donations and out of our own pockets. We don't go to the press about it they come to us. I read about bad cops getting arrested all the time or its on TV. Every time a cop does something wrong it hits the press.