Good Information From The SAAMI Website

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by wizard93, Jan 30, 2008.

1. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Well this part put a damper on things

SAAMI is an accredited United Nations ECOSOC Non-Government Organization (NGO) with Consultative Status. For the last 25 years SAAMI has provided the UN with technical information related to SAAMI-member company products. The issues facing the UN are daunting and complex. Our goal is to be a technical resource for decision-makers. Since SAAMI has at its disposal the technical knowledge of the manufacturers of firearms and ammunition, we are in a unique position to provide factual and reality-based information.

We participate in meetings and discussions related to model regulations for transportation and storage (see SLARAC) as well as treaty negations related to small arms.

United Nations Conference to Review Progress Made in the Implementation of the Programme of Action to Prevent Combat and Eradicate the illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects
    New York - June 30, 2006

The Firearm Safety Equation

United Nations Preparatory Committee for the Conference to Review Progress Made in the Implementation of the Programme of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects
    New York - January 12, 2006

United Nations Second Biennial Meeting of States to Consider the Implementation of the UN Programme of Action
    New York - July 13, 2005

Open Ended Working Group to Negotiate an International Instrument to Enable States to Identify and Trace, in a Timely and Reliable Manner, Illicit Small Arms and Light Weapons
    New York - June 17, 2004

The UN is notorious for attempting to stop OUR rights for gun ownership and these fools are just helping them along

2. Shooter Z
    I have no idea where you got your info? Saami does not lobby against or for gun ownership anywhere! Sammi is a nonpolitical NGO! They only provide info and help regulate the ammo industry. SAMMI has nothing to do with firearms. They set standards for cartridge case size and powder loads, nothing else. They do the same thing for the ammo industry as UL does for electronics.

I've dealt with them twice in the past. Once when I was working up a wildcat load and once when i was reloading .32 rimfire ammo. Yes you can reload rimfire ammo it's just a real pain in the azz! They were nothing but helpful.
    Mr Saturday Night Special

3. SHOOTER Z

4. Duh!!! The UN is anti-gun ownership for civilians!! But SAAMI has nothing to do with regulating ammo or guns for that matter! Your very link proves my point!
    http://www.saami.org/index.cfm
    SAAMI helps ammo makers conduct their operations in a safe manner. Have you read your link?
    Here is a list of SAAMI companies.
    So you're going to sit there and tell me Ruger, Glock, Beretta USA Browning Arms Company, COR-BON/Glaser LLC, Federal Cartridge Company, Fiocchi of America, Inc. Glock, Inc.
    Hodgdon Powder Company Hornady Mfg. Company
    Kahr Arms North American Arms, Inc.
    Olin/Winchester Remington Arms Company Inc.
    Savage Arms, Inc. SIG SAUER
    Smith & Wesson St. Marks Powder, Inc. are all anti-gun!!!!!! The only company on that list that is anti gun/ant 2nd Amendment is Colt!!! :evil: :x :evil:

SAAMI IS A NONPOLITICA NGO AND ONLY DEALS WITH AMMO AND AMMO/GUN SAFTY ISSUES.
    Mr Saturday Night Special

5. SHOOTER Z

OK wrong area try this one http://www.saami.org/United_Nations.cfm

"United Nations Conference to Review Progress Made in the Implementation of the Programme of Action to Prevent Combat and Eradicate the illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects"

They consider private ownership a bad thing to have and have tried for years to get the US to ban guns

6. I don't know where the anti-gun part came from. I read everything on that website and there is absolutely nothing stated that indicated the prohibition of firearms ownership to any extent. SAAMI is simply the firearms and ammunition manufacturers "referees", who set guidelines to ensure that when we buy a gun and ammunition for that gun, so that whenever we pull the trigger, the gun isn't very likely going to blow up in our faces, because nothing for that cartridge was regulated. An ammunition manufacturer can't just decide to sell a 9mm load which operates at 65,000 psi. Ammunition isn't allowed to be manufactured and sold to the general public if it doesn't fall within the specifications that SAAMI set forth. They also believe that the only true gun safety is the human brain. They prove that guns can't be made "idiot proof", that people have to maintain a certain level of responsibility when possessing a firearm, and must store it safely, especially when children are around. And they list gun safety rules in more than one place on the site.
    There's several places on their website where they talked about how it's a waste of time to put things like loaded chamber indicators, "child-proof" safeties, gun fingerprinting, etc. into legislation, because they proved that it wouldn't work. SAAMI's job is to try and keep everyone on the straight and narrow when the gun-ignorant people of the world try to impose fantasy ideas into law. It's not that they don't want people to own firearms, they just want people to be safe with them. And they want the manufacturers to provide firearms which are safe to use.

As for the connections to the UN, the letters posted on their site were simply the SAAMI trying to tell the UN that guns aren't as dangerous as they think they are. SAAMI even included statistics where guns were near the bottom of the list when it came to accidental deaths in the U.S. Also, the information provided showed that deaths involving guns are lower now than they were in the 1930's.

Just like this letter Richard Patterson wrote. It's the same story all over the website. They support gun safety and common sense, nothing else.

http://www.saami.org/docs/The_Safety_Equation_paper.pdf

wizard93