Good kit or No?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by robertgreen_86, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Ari

Ari Guest

When you learn it is good to start with a single stage press. There are a bunch of things to get figured out. Once you have learned the process on a single stage it makes setup on something like this much easier. So what you run into here is you have to learn how to reload and you have to learn how to setup the press at the same time. With that being said I think that is the press I am going with next. I think you get a lot with that press, even more then you would with the turret press. (for hand gun ammo) The only other thing I would want is a factory crimp die and this

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=244455

2. Thanks ARI! I have a lot of freinds that reload and are willing to help me set it up the problem with a single stage is the time. I plane to load about 1000rnds a month so i think the turret will be faster but then again i dont know cause the anniversary kit looks like a great deal also.........

3. Bandit320

Bandit320 Member

I have a Lee 1000 turret press that I load for my 40's. It does a great job and I absolutely love it,

Mike

4. I just got the lee anniversary kit for christmas. It amazes me how well an 84 dollar entry kit works.

5. I also got the Lee Anniversery kit for Christmas, and for the price you can't beat it. The only thing that I have heard bad reviews on was the scale that came with it. I picked up a Frankford Arsenal digital scale from midway for $25. I havn't set mine up yet, but will as soon as I can. I talked with my uncle who has been reloading for years and he reccomended to start out on this type setup, and not to go for a progressive style until you get some experiance behind you.

6. Ari

Ari Guest

Lee Anniversery kit is what I did to start with also. During the summer I shoot and load 700-1000 rounds of 9mm a month

7. You will love this press. I would also get the case collector, it is worth it's weight in gold.

Once the press is tuned you will be able to put out 1K rounds in a couple of hours. I run at a slow pace of 100 rounds in 10 minutes. That includes loading the primer tray and the case tubes.

8. Jokey

Jokey Guest

I got a Lee Anniversery and then bought another press the same. After a few thousand rounds I noticed that the casting that holds the steel arm cracked on the first one and that the second unit had started cracking as well. I did the most expedient that I could think of to bond the two dissimilar metals and wrapped the junctions with some carbon fiber and epoxied them. Both are solid now. They work great. If you get one look for the arm like they now use on the better press It is a casting and not the steel rod arm that slips through a slot.

I also have two Lee Pro 1000 units that I purchased used. I have one set up for 9, 40 and 38 and the other set for 45 colt and acp. Takes about 5 minutes to convert from one caliber to the other. Even less time to switch between 9 and 40 as they use the same shell plate. Are these units the best, I doubt it but they do make bullets pretty fast. Seating the primers and getting the thing setup is the hardest.

If you don't have a press then by all means start with a single stage so that you can make your mistakes slowly. Also get a ballistic dissassembling tool.

9. I really want one for reloading pistol ammo but I can't justify it since I only have to do it every 6 months or so. I'm gonna be loading 1000 .40's in a few days...

10. For loading a thousand rounds at a time, then the Lee Pro 1000 is probably necessary. I normally wouldn't recommend a progressive to someone who is just starting out reloading, though. For a newbie, I would at least like to see them start out on a single stage or perhaps a turret press where the operator is observing each stage of the reloading process. It can be too easy even for some experienced reloaders to get carried away on a progressive and overlook the running out of primers, powder, or whatever. If you're very careful and pay attention to what you're doing (and patient setting stuff up), then the progressive is the best bet.

I have the Lee Classic 4-hole press with the Auto-Index. I timed myself loading 38 special with it one evening. I loaded 100 rounds in just under 30 minutes with it. That's without a primer feeder, too. I prefer to feed the primers by hand one at a time. But if you're loading 1000 rounds at a time, you'd be looking at a good 5 hours or more with a turret press. Much longer than that with a single stage press, though.

wizard93

11. I started out reloading with a single stage Lee "C" frame press, about the cheapest table mounted press you can find NIB. At that time I was only loading 30-30 for my Winchester 94 and .38Special for the 2" snubbies I had. I learned a lot while using that press. Next few presses I bought were Lee "O" frame presses, that gave me a total of three single stage presses to work with.

A few months back I got back into reloading, after a 15yr break, and went with the Lee 4 hole Turret press. I like the turret presses because you can use them as a single stage or use the auto indexer to speed the process up a good bit.

Progressive presses are for those who have experience in loading on either single stage or a turret press. One boo-boo on the progressive and you could end up with an entire batch of bad/dangerous rounds.