Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/09/08/survive/index.html

'many of the disaster survivors he studied weren't the most skilled, the strongest or the most experienced in their group.

Those who seemed best suited for survival -- the strongest or most skilled -- were often the first to die off in life-or-death struggles, he says. Experience and physical strength can lead to carelessness. The Rambo types, a Navy SEAL tells Gonzales, are often the first to go.

Small children and inexperienced climbers, for example, often survive emergencies in the wilderness far better than their stronger or adult counterparts, he says.

They survive because they're humble, Gonzales says. They know when to rest, when they shouldn't try something beyond their capabilities, when it's wise to be afraid.

"Humility can keep you out of trouble," Gonzales says. "If you go busting into the wilderness with the attitude that you know what's going on, you're liable to miss important cues." '

·
Registered
534 Posts
Keeping a level head and doing simple things will make a difference. I agree the "Rambo" types are dangerous. You don't have to be a commando to find food and water!!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Keeping a level head and doing simple things will make a difference. I agree the "Rambo" types are dangerous. You don't have to be a commando to find food and water!!
I agree with that.

Strength (Physical Conditioning) I feel will help, I never met a fat Seal, Recon or other Snake Eater.
Experience I think will also help as in knowing about shelter and such.

Rambo types, now that's another story.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Also, I keep a couple of basic survival books in my bug out bag. It doesn't hurt to have a quick reference guide with you. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
The Thread Necromancer strikes again!

So, um... you preppers... when you die, can I haz your stuff? ;)

bwa-hahahahahahahaha

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
The flaw in the OP's cited article is that it correlates recklessness with the characteristics most beneficial in adverse conditions. Being prepared for the worst with physical fitness and knowledge won't necessarily make one cocky and careless. Unprepared slugs can be the same way, but they will just die harder.

The article is just another of those recently-popular pieces written to celebrate the sub-par and denigrate those who put a little effort into what they do.

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
Maybe. But that reasoning won't let me harass my prepper friends. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
Maybe. But that reasoning won't let me harass my prepper friends. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
And yourself. By his reasoning, you'd be one of the first people to go, too. His scenario would involve you being bested by some doughy little hipster prick because your arrogance led you to trip and fall onto his poorly formed fist, ruining his hand, but knocking you out cold.:p

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
And yourself. By his reasoning, you'd be one of the first people to go, too.
I've been thinking about becoming a couch potato so that I'd be statistically most likely to survive a SHTF event. ;)

His scenario would involve you being bested by some doughy little hipster prick because your arrogance led you to trip and fall onto his poorly formed fist, ruining his hand, but knocking you out cold.:p
hahaha These sort of things do happen from time to time, though, you're right, they're pretty uncommon. Of course, there's been a long-running argument in Martial Arts circles noting or affirming that the practice of some martial arts styles are more/less likely to produce those, or the opposite, results. It's akin the the Great Caliber Wars on gun boards. :)

But you're ruining all my fun. :(

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
9,308 Posts
Of course, there's been a long-running argument in Martial Arts circles noting or affirming that the practice of some martial arts styles are more/less likely to produce those, or the opposite, results. It's akin the the Great Caliber Wars on gun boards. :)
Hm! Yo One Hung Low style Kung Fu no match fo' my Iron Finger technique. You shall be defeated!

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
Hm! Yo One Hung Low style Kung Fu no match fo' my Iron Finger technique. You shall be defeated!
:)

It was usually something like MMA/UFC vs. Traditional Martial Arts (aka "TMA" such as karate, tae kwon do, taiji quan/kungfu) vs. Reality Based Self Defense (RBSD) vs. Military Combatives (particularly WWII combatives) vs. Weapons Arts (like Kali or Arnis).

Remember these guys yammering about MMA and "Self Defense" and contrasting it to Karate? Yeah, like that.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Just a Man
14,224 Posts
I remember watching some of the first UFC stuff, where Royce Gracie just devastated people with submission stuff..... He choked one guy out with his own Gi..... Next guy, who had been wearing one all through the tournament, wisely removed it!....

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
I remember watching some of the first UFC stuff, where Royce Gracie just devastated people with submission stuff..... He choked one guy out with his own Gi..... Next guy, who had been wearing one all through the tournament, wisely removed it!....
Yeah, UFC1 signaled a sea change in the U.S. martial arts landscape. Gracie essentially hand-picked his opponents; ims, his sign off was required for each of them. That said, he did prove his point (I think. Exactly what his "point" was has been open to debate.). Nevertheless, subsequent UFC's and MMA matches continued to show the same pattern for quite some time, which "proved" that (in the context of MMA at least) Grappling skill was required and punching & kicking (P/K) alone wasn't going to get it done. This eventually spawned two distinct "styles" in MMA: Ground & Pound and Sprawl & Brawl, each taking differing strategies on how to address the issues of grappling and striking in the MMA context.

As far as MMA proponents vs the rest of the (then) established Martial Arts world, there was quite a debate (still smoldering) over how much of MMA "rules" and context could be extrapolated to "the real world" and self defense, much like the "Go .45 Or Go Home" advocates that just will never be convinced. :)

But, anyway, about my new Couch Potato Prepping Method. Do you think $45 per mail order course is too much? ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Just a Man
14,224 Posts
Too much $...... Go to the mall, you'll learn all you need in s short time..... Maybe invest in some Banquet pot pies.... Watch a lot of reality TV... You should be gold!

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
Too much $...... Go to the mall, you'll learn all you need in s short time..... Maybe invest in some Banquet pot pies.... Watch a lot of reality TV... You should be gold!
I'm gonna set the DVR for "Real Housewives..." and "Keeping Up with the Cardassians." ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Just a Man
14,224 Posts
I'm gonna set the DVR for "Real Housewives..." and "Keeping Up with the Cardassians." ;)

Peace favor your sword,

Kirk
That may be a little tooooo far down the rabbit hole, brother..... You're going for couch potato, not (non) walking dead...

·
Super Moderator
28,606 Posts
That may be a little tooooo far down the rabbit hole, brother..... You're going for couch potato, not (non) walking dead...
Too late. Heck, I gained 2 lbs just writing that!

Now where's that Ben & Jerry's "Chunky Monkey" icecream???

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Just a Man
14,224 Posts
Too late. Heck, I gained 2 lbs just writing that!

Now where's that Ben & Jerry's "Chunky Monkey" icecream???

Peace favor your sword,

Kirk
I got a pint of bunny tracks, and two spoons, see you soon!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts