Good score

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by FlashBang, May 30, 2015.

1. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Hit up a smal shop out in the boonies today and scored 12 lbs. of Titegroup and 4 lbs. of TAC. Got 1000 165gr 9mm bullets coming on Monday and will be loading them up with the Titegroup for subsonic use. All in all a good day. :)

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Always a good thing.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Geeze, isn't 16 lbs of powder an ATF visit invitation?:confused:

Regardless, I'm glad for you.:)

4. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Please don't say that. Just got 16# of Titegroup myself, along with 2# of HP38 and 3300 BBI 135gr RN bullets.

5. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Wow! 12 pounds is a lot of powder!

At an average of 1750 rounds per pound for 9mm, that could reload about 21,000 rounds! :p

6. Rachgier

Hell, I would settle for 2-3 lbs each of the powders I need.

7. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Hell.... @ $20 +/- per lb for titegroup around here, (if you can find it) I'd settle for $240 worth of petrol for my truck! :p

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    He'll just "Flash" his LEO Badge :D and AF will say "Have a Nice Day!"

...to feed his sub-machine gun! :D

9. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

I 'member the day when I was doing a lot of trap and skeet shooting and working the heck out of my Lee Load Alls, buying five 3 pound cans of Hercules Red and Green Dot powder every two weeks.

Most weeknights were spent loading Winchester AA hulls with 7 1/2, 8, and 9 shot. And shooting them Sunday afternoons after Church with my four friends.

Don't do that much anymore. Lost two of the friends to anti-gun women...

eldar

10. FlashBang

I have never heard of the BATFE coming for a knock and talk over powder. I suppose anything is possible, not sure how they would know who to go talk to when the receipt says "CASH" on it. :D

I'm already on practically every list the BATFE has, and on a bunch of other agencies lists as well. ;)

11. FlashBang

Good thing I have 20,000 primers on hand. :p

12. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Been there, done that ;)

13. Rachgier

That's it?

14. That is just awful. My wife did not like firearms around the house at first. She has changed her opinion after getting some firearm training herself. I have taken 8 days of firearm training and safety courses. I would not marry a woman who would not allow me to own guns.

15. FlashBang

That's just small pistol primers. ;)

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    That's what I was going to say, Just in that "Flavor" :D

Q for Flash:
    What are the differences in Small Rifle Primers? Can you use magnum primers for 5.56? My backwoods gunsmith buddy says he has used magnum pistol primers in place of regular and vice-versa, noticed no difference. Is it just "overkill" or is it a possible overpressure, or worse yet, a Ka-BOOM! :confused:
    Best to ask an Expert, they say :D

17. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Right there with Eldar, shot competitive trap for about 3years, through junior, regular, and senior leagues, shooting 3 and 4 nights a week, and would normally go through 15 to 18 lbs. powder a month

18. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Right there with Eldar, shot competitive trap for about 36years, through junior, regular, and senior leagues, shooting 3 and 4 nights a week, and would normally go through 15 to 18 lbs. powder a month

19. FlashBang

Can you use them? Yes.
    Is there a valid reason to use them for normal loads? Not really.
    Magnum primers are typically used in conjunction with specific powders that require a little more "uumph" to ignite. They used to be used also in subsonic loads when the powder had a filler added to it to increase case volume. I know some people that use them with spherical or ball powders to ensure more consistent powder ignition, and also because they have a thicker cup wall to lessen the chance of a slam fire. A Magnum primer can be used to load to higher pressure, but I don't see any need to load a .223/5.56 to higher pressures; if I need a hotter round I'll use the 7.62x51.

20. undeRGRound

INDY
    Thanks! I ask because I have seen a good price for bulk primers and they
    only have the small rifle magnum primers at this time. Does the same
    rationale apply for pistol primers also?