Good Time to Watch

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by perotter, Jun 28, 2015.

1. The banks in Greece have been closed for the next six day. It should be a bit informative to watch the details about the 'man on the street' in a mini SHTF there this coming week.

They will still be able withdraw 60 euro a day there and as there were plenty of warning signs about it many have done some things to get ready. Currently a mass buying of gasoline and food is going one.

http://news.sky.com/story/1509799/greek-banks-and-stock-exchange-to-stay-shut

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/29/world/europe/a-wary-athens-awaits-the-referendum-on-austerity.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/28/us-eurozone-greece-idUSKBN0P40EO20150628

2. Pablo

Pablo Carbine Guy aka Zippy Member

Many sites folks say don't buy silver (or gold). Reasons given: when the SHTF that metal will be useless.........

I gotta think converting a bunch of funny money to silver rounds awhile back in Greece might have been pretty nice.

3. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

It's not just Greece to watch. Porto Rico says it can not pay it's debt and the Chinese stock market has dropped almost 20% since June 12th. Things could get interesting.

4. I have seen in the news that those living on a pension are having the ones having hardest time.

The Chinese stock market is of interest for overall world finance. One thing to note is their market had just over a few months gone up the 20% that it dropped. But it was enough to cause their central bank to easy up credit, which was already very eased up.

I did see that Puerto Rico can't file bankruptcy like a US city or state can. It's likely the federal government will pay take Puerto Rico's debt and pay the bankers. Then the fed government will forgive what Puerto Rico owe.

5. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

See you in September or October this year! I really want to change jobs. Just I am way up on the seniority list. New job if the economy tanks? Unemployment.......

6. A little article about Greece that show what most here already know. Those living in small towns are getting along better. The only thing is that those on a pension that is direct deposit can't get their much of there money.

It costs them 40 euros to get 60 or 120 euros. It depends on if they have debit card. Those without one can get the 120. There are some that get paid directly.

"The retired farmers in this remote region have relatively low pensions compared to other workers, but many get their payments under a special system that allows the Hellenic Postal Agency to deliver the cash directly to their homes.
    That has been a godsend since the bank closures, because armored trucks containing cash have delivered funds directly to the post office without going through the shuttered banks, said Keke Bakoyanni, a postal worker who distributes the pensions paid this way and also runs a shop in the village."

All the people living in the rural town are at least getting food from what they raise and what they trade for.

"Ilias Mathes has protection against bank closures, capital controls and the slashing of his pension: 10 goats, some hens and a vegetable patch.
    If Greece's financial crisis deepens, as many believe it must, he can feed his children and grandchildren with the bounty of the land in this proud village high in the mountains of the Arcadia Peloponnese.
    "I have my lettuce, my onions, I have my hens, my birds, I will manage," he said, even though he can no longer access his full pension payment because of government controls imposed six days ago. "We will manage for a period of time, I don't know, two months, maybe three months, because I also want to give to our relatives. If they are suffering, I cannot leave them like this, isn't that so?""

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-07-03-08-15-15