Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure about this one... living in Buffalo I have a city, lots of culture, amazing restaurants, theater, and family.

Bottineau, I can own class III weapons, and not have all the other lame restrictions NY has, great hunting, finishing, boating (a sportsman's dream); however, the one horse town may drive me insane.
Oh, and for those of you who get the sportsmans guide catalogs. On the page with all of the exemptions... there isn't one that references ND (thats a good thing)

They gave me 24 hours to make a decision... I have about 8 left.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a rather out of the way hole in the wall with not much to do.

SW
Yeah, I sorta figured that, and it looks like the closest city (if you can call it that) is a 3 or so hours away. On the other hand, the cost of living is lower than NY, and in a couple of years I will be able almost double my current salary. Then if it sucks I can put in for a transfer.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cost of living is probably 1/10th of what it is where you are now. if you can put up with teh crochety germans that inhabit that part of ND you can probably do pretty well.

SW
I won't have to put up with them. I will be a federal agent... I will just shoot them :)

or maybe just deport them

lol

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Jump all over it man. If the climate is something you can deal with, similar to NY, you're good. As far as the slower lifestyle, it's something you get used to. That and the money isn't bad for a Federal Job.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
cost of living is probably 1/10th of what it is where you are now. if you can put up with teh crochety germans that inhabit that part of ND you can probably do pretty well.

SW
I won't have to put up with them. I will be a federal agent... I will just shoot them :)

or maybe just deport them

lol
LOL!

I'd say go for it and then move off if you can snag that promotion. Who knows, you may like getting away from the hustle, bustle, and fascism of NY.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yea, whats way up there..... I went to school with few kids from Bottineau...... I don't think it's too bad of a place.... But heed SW on the 'crochity Germans', however take advantage of knoephla (sp) soup!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I accepted the position this afternoon, and head out in two weeks.

I have a guy that is a higher up over here in Buffalo, and he said he would try to transfer me if an opening pops up before I finish my training... but the more I think about it, the more I think I might really like the middle of nowhere. :)

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I went to school in Bottineau back in.....well, over 30 years ago. I went there from the Toledo, Ohio area and although it was quiet different from Ohio, I loved it up there. It's a sportmans paradise and the people were wonderful. Winters were a bit chilly at times. I went to school there 2 years, finished my college in Ohio and went back to N.D. to work in various state and Federal parks from the central part to the western part of the state. I loved living in N.D. and might still be up there except my job took me other places. I got married after I left N.D. and I kinda doubt I could get my wife to live there. BTW, back then we'd go to Canada to go drinking and crossing the border wasn't too big of a deal going either way.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Why would you have to go to Canada to drink.

Please tell me I am not moving to a dry county!
Homer: "No beer or no TV makes me something something..."
N.D. was 21 for drinking back then (I don't know about now) and I wasn't 21 so we'd go to Canada. We just had to make sure we were back before the portals closed.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why would you have to go to Canada to drink.

Please tell me I am not moving to a dry county!
Homer: "No beer or no TV makes me something something..."
N.D. was 21 for drinking back then (I don't know about now) and I wasn't 21 so we'd go to Canada. We just had to make sure we were back before the portals closed.
Thank God

You had me worried I was moving to Utah or something. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts