Got a new c9

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by thestones, Jan 15, 2016.

1. thestones

thestones Member

Hello all out there, figured I would post about my new at least to me c9 i got today. Found a guy on facebook selling one as new in box, it seems he bought it a year or so ago and never fired it just opened it, gripped it and decided he didnt like it. Stowed it in some closet for a time and then sold it to me for 135 bux with 100 rounds of ammo.

From what i can tell it looks like its never been shot, or at least not much if any, the feed ramp was still perfect powder coat black with no marks on it at all and it was as dry as a hot desert day when you racked the slide. I just finished breaking it down and cleaning/lubing it and polishing the feed ramp, man is that a job, my fingers are killing me, but Ive got a nice shiny feed ramp and hopefully it will run any ammo good.

Speaking of ammo anyone have any luck with Federal aluminum cased fmj target load, got a 50 box of that and a 50 box of Federal Classic Hi-Shok JHP with it. Going to break her in tomorrow and she how she runs.

Attached Files:

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Each gun like it's own ammo. Some are picky most are not. Try them all.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Might have wasted a lot of time and finger hurt,
    polished feed ramp is not usually needed :rofl:
    MoonZie is right, try a LOT of types!

4. thestones

thestones Member

Well I took the new c9 out today and ran it a bit, overall its good, I am having an issue though that maybe someone could help with. If i load the mag (8 rounder) full the first 2 rounds will nose dive and hang it up, even when first cocking and chambering that first round, this happened with both fmj and jhp both federal ammo. If I load the mag with 5-6 rounds it works just like it should, no nose diving and will feed jhp just fine that way. I tried to slightly adjust the feed lips on the mag but no help. Debating on calling Hi point on tuesday about a new mag.

I tried my brother in laws mag from his c9 and it ran flawlessly, my mag in his did the same thing with the nose dive so its in the mag, maybe a bad one?

5. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

If it is a new mag you need to load it up and let it set for a couple of weeks. You can also work the follower with a pencil or something, to help loosen it up.

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Just needs breaking in.

7. thestones

thestones Member

I bought this from a really cool cat that moderates a local gun/knife sell site on facebook, said he bought it about a year ago brand new but never shot it, didnt like the weight nor the feel. From what I could tell when i broke it down it looked new or very lightly used at the least, still had all the crud they put on it from factory. I broke it down, soaked it in clp and let it sit for about an hour then finished cleaning it, sanded the feedramp smooth (my fingers are still sore lol) the mag spring doesnt feel overly resistive when loading it until that last round or two then its a pain to fit them in so i would say it is new.

Never had an issue out of my other c9, bought it new and ran fine from day one, didnt even polish the ramp on it, but ive never ran any jhp in it other then critical defense. This one came with a full box of federal classic hi shok jhp's, seems wally mart here sells these for 13.96 per box of 50 and with them being hollow points and all i figured if i could run them good, that would give me a chance to practice more with my carry load since critical defense is not cheap.

Ill work it with a pencil tonight and see if it loosens up any, plus keep it loaded for a couple weeks, if no change ill call in and have it replaced.

there she is in all her beauty, ive been called crazy but I love these guns, im a poor working man but i can still have protection and fun too :D

Attached Files:

8. cicpup

Vermont
    Might take longer. Be patient and work with it. It'll be fine in the end.

9. thestones

thestones Member

Wanted to ask whats everyones opinion on the Federal Aluminum case ammo that walmart sells, its like 9.96 /50 rounds fmj. Of course for target practice. I bought a box of it today so i can run the little c9 some more this weekend, gun came with a box of it and it run great but I dont wanna damage anything, I know steel case isnt recommended but I have never seen aluminum cased ammo before.

Will it hurt anything to shoot this all the time or should I go back to brass case, I dont reload so thats not a factor for me.

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I have used both aluminum and steel case in my JHP with no issues. Go with what works and you can afford.

11. Irishfanatik

Irishfanatik Supporting Member

I have used the aluminum cased federal in all of my HP'S and never had any problems with it. I don't think it could damage the gun. I think aluminum is as soft as brass. I use perfecta from Walmart as well. It is cheaper in 9mm at my walmart and runs well in all my guns.

12. tkd_fan

tkd_fan Member

I use Federal aluminum in my C9 and it works great. The only issue I've had is a couple of stovepipes. Those aren't the gun though. As soon as I hold my wrist tight those go away. I qualified for my CCW today with the aluminum ammo.

13. thestones

thestones Member

Awesome to hear, i love that its only 10 bux a box when our walmart has it in stock. Does anyone know if this is a walmart exclusive ammo from federal or does any gun store sell this. I intend to call around on tuesday and see if anyone has it but i will bet if they do it will be priced higher then walmart.

Congrats on the CCW, i plan on getting mine as soon as i get my tax refund back. Not sure where you are but here in KY it runs around 75 for the course to get your papers and then another 60 to actually get your permit, you can get the classes discounted if enough people do it together so I have convinced my nephew, brother in law and nieces husband to go with me, drops the class to 50 so that helps.

Ill be taking the new c9 out again tomorrow and running at least 100 rounds thru her, i spent about 3 hours last night with a pencil working that mag spring but it does seem smoother now and when i load it up to cap and chamber a round it doesnt nose dive on me. Gonna order a couple mags on payday to complete it

14. thestones

thestones Member

Ohhh on the subject of ammo, how does the c9 do with steel cased ammo like TulAmmo or Wolf. Ive read both sides of it, one saying no, the other saying its fine.

15. thestones

thestones Member

Also this is one i forgot to ask, when i chamber that first round into the c9 it takes an absolute ton of force to pull the slide back far enough, ive shot the c9 and cf380 before a lot and this one seem way more difficult to rack, so hard in fact that several times shooting it i lodged a round because i didnt pull back far enough, any suggestions on how to lessen this.

16. cicpup

Vermont
    Make sure the firing pin springs aren't entangled.

17. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Get the brass PerFecta it is less than the alum. I personally stay away from the alum stuff.

18. lsi1

lsi1 Member

agreed get the brass save the brass you may be able to barter or sell it after you get quite a stock pile.