Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most technically proficient person in the world. I'd like to go back to my old flip phone but I guess I'm gonna' have to evolve or die. My bank doesn't have any local branches, my local credit union moved out of the area and while I hate to admit it, I do the better part of my shopping on Amazon these days.
I just got a new "cell phone" which has to be the wrong name for them these days. They take better pictures than a lot of high end cameras and are basically mini-computers capable of doing complicated calculations and tasks thousands of times faster than what the early room size government state of the art computers could do back in the 60s and 70s. Hell, I remember back in school it was considered cheating if you used your slide rule! You had to show all your work on paper, and calculators hadn't been invented.
It makes me wonder what most people would do if we suddenly lost all our satellites? I could take a bunch of ammo and my guns and go out to my cabin for a while. I heat with wood and have a good running spring on the land. I have some candles which eventually would get used up, but I could survive. My neighbors here in the city? not so much. all our communications with few exceptions and infrastructure rely on satellite communication. power plants , water departments, etc. could all be compromised. forum communications would have to written on rocks and tossed back and forth (maybe not).
All I know is I was just getting comfortable with my last phone when it decided to stop taking calls on it's own and doing other weird stuff like having Google ask the nurse what she would like at my last visit to the dr.'s . Now I got this new one and had to go on a treasure hunt to find where they hid all the parts! I've never seen packaging like this, you open the box, you expect to see the owner's manual, and all the other relevant pieces. Instead you have to pull out sections of the box and pull them apart to get at stuff. I think this is China's way of getting even for the sanctions. Actually I have no idea where this was made but it probably was China. My last phone was a Motorola because the one before it was banned for federal employees due to a possible spy chip. I'm no spy or anything I just don't want uninvited company in bathroom. Now I found out Motorolas are made in China too. This one probably is too so I guess I'll just leave it in another room when I go to the commode.

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
Could be Korean. They make a bunch of phone brands too.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I use my phone most of the time. Or a tablet in bed. My only complaint is the keyboard. With my bifocals at home and trick caps at word. I hit the wrong keys slot or predictive text screws me up. Which with my retardism I don't need that kind of help slaughtering words or sentences.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
This one probably is too so I guess I'll just leave it in another room when I go to the commode.
I need something to read when I do my business, so my phone goes with me. I don't talk while I'm making mud, so there's nothing to spy on. The only thing a spy would hear would be the sounds of mini depth charges going off, staccato machine gun fire and ripping canvas noises. If they want to listen to that, then more power to 'em.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most technically proficient person in the world. I'd like to go back to my old flip phone but I guess I'm gonna' have to evolve or die.
No need to evolve.

I have a landline at home but wanted a phone in the car just in case.
So not much choice other than getting a smartphone. Hated it!
It's annoying with all the notifications, constant updates, a pain to carry, etc. etc.
I don't need all the high tech mumbo jumbo when I just want a phone.
I don't ever anticipate being in a conversation where someone will ask me
"What's the Capital of Botswanna?"
"OH wait! Let me check on my smartphone!"

Ended up going back to Tracfone. They have Alcatel and LG flip phones.
Got the Alcatel flip. It's small. Hardly know it's in my pocket. Paid $19.99.
Works great everywhere. It uses the CDMA network (Verizon). It's BT so it connects to my car.
Bought a one year card with double minutes for $99.
As opposed to my previous Verizon Smartphone subscription at $35/mo.
And - the most I ever used the phone in a month was "maybe" one call at $35.

I'm old school - rotary phone and party line.
I'd be happy if the only means to communicate was via smoke signals.

·
I Stand With Talon
6,514 Posts
I always carried a cellphone that my employer provided but broke down and got my own when I retired. I have a Galaxy S10+ through TMobile and pay $55 a month for unlimited everything and that includes all taxes etc. I needed it since I got rid of the landline that was costing me around $100 a month with all the fees they hit you. I mostly got it for having a phone with me at all times due to some health issues and living alone now. It's overkill for what I need but it gives me everything I need and then some.

·
Premium Member
6,854 Posts
I always carried a cellphone that my employer provided but broke down and got my own when I retired. I have a Galaxy S10+ through TMobile and pay $55 a month for unlimited everything and that includes all taxes etc. I needed it since I got rid of the landline that was costing me around $100 a month with all the fees they hit you. I mostly got it for having a phone with me at all times due to some health issues and living alone now. It's overkill for what I need but it gives me everything I need and then some.
They are very good for the health reasons alone. That is why wife and I both have one on the Tracfone system.
They are there for you in any Medical or other Emergency. We both have lesser models of the Galaxy like the 7.
Update enough for us.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Motorola's Chinese made(Lenovo) phones are junk, mine ate a battery within 5 months, destroyed the fingerprint reader when the case back was pushed off.Put in a new Motorola battery, yeah it lasted 12 months... I paid it off early and went to a Samsung S20. My phoe is medical emergency, my kindle reader, my web browser if I am shopping and want to see reviews on a product(did it for olive oil not to long ago to see what was best)...

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
iPhone. It cooperates with my iPad and my PC pretty well. 2-3 years use, and once replaced the old one is still a functional browser and mindless games machine. But the next one may not be, the free phone with a contract thing is ending.

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
We did tracfone for years, then they screwed me over when I went to a "smart" phone. We're with Cricket now and have Nord(?) phones. Had both Samsung and Motorola, hated bot for different reasons. The school district I worked for issued Apple products - I hated them. I know they are supposed to be the cat's backside, but I want NO part of an Apple product

Reactions: lklawson

·
"The Veiled Male"
574 Posts
You can still get flip phones, you just have to work a little harder. Don't believe the hype. I pay $15/mo to run mine. I wouldn't have a smartphone if you gave it to me - a mediocre phone at best, and a HORRID computer. Jack of all trades, master of none. No thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
Me and you Zorba are the only anti cellular people on this forum I think. Recently I gave in and started using the cellular phone more because my wife has been out of town for a few weeks now on a trip and it is how I talk to her. I expect my non use habits of cellular will come back once she returns home though.

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Me and you Zorba are the only anti cellular people on this forum I think.
Not really. I had a flip phone until an upgrade was forced upon me at work. At his point I'm looking to go back to one, maybe even give tracfone another chance. I hate 'em, but they're here to stay

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
Not really. I had a flip phone until an upgrade was forced upon me at work. At his point I'm looking to go back to one, maybe even give tracfone another chance. I hate 'em, but they're here to stay
Just remember, Straight Talk is TracPhone but a different section, so maybe look at them too. Their CS tends to be a bit better than TracPhone. My kids had Trac, I have ST. I just switched my son to Boost and may join him. 3 lines with unlimited everything and a 35gb Hotspot for each line is only $90/ month. I pay $70/ for 2 lines with only 10gb per line and no Hotspot right now. Almost worth finding someone who wants the third line to share the cost...

Reactions: histed

·
"The Veiled Male"
574 Posts
Me and you Zorba are the only anti cellular people on this forum I think. Recently I gave in and started using the cellular phone more because my wife has been out of town for a few weeks now on a trip and it is how I talk to her. I expect my non use habits of cellular will come back once she returns home though.
I've been using cellular phones since the bag phone days - I had a bag phone for 18 years, and would still be using it today except they turned off the old analog cell service back in 2007. Now, if by "cellular" you actually mean "smartphone" - then yea. I wouldn't be caught dead with one of those horrid things.

I recommend Consumer Cellular - and yes, you can get a flip phone directly from them. A pretty nice one too!

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
I recommend Consumer Cellular - and yes, you can get a flip phone directly from them. A pretty nice one too!
I considered them when I switched from tracfone, but read some really bad reviews. Apparently you've had no problems?

·
"The Veiled Male"
574 Posts
I considered them when I switched from tracfone, but read some really bad reviews. Apparently you've had no problems?
I've been with them for years, never had any problems at all. Sometimes it takes a bit to get through on their CS lines - and sometimes not - but when you do get through you're talking to someone who speaks American English who is very helpful. I've only had to call their CS 2 or 3 times over the years...

·
Administrator
24,594 Posts
Didn't get a new phone, but I got a new BP monitor that syncs with my phone and more specifically the Samsung health app. Now I can stop using the old cuff with a stethoscope and having to keep a journal on my phone. Now my blood sugar monitor, bp monitor, and scale all sync to one app on my phone so my doctors can get info from the day, week, month, and even year if they want it.

Although they were all quite impressed when I told them I still used a cuff and stethoscope on myself at home, then proved it in the office. You should have seen the nurses faces when I stuck myself on the first poke for a blood draw after they each missed twice.

Best way to learn how to spike a vein on a patient? Practice on yourself a few dozen times. You'll learn how not to look like a junky PDQ. Two types of sticks I can't stand, fishing and a push through pull back. A fisher sticks you then wiggles the needle until they feel the needle popping across the top of the vein. A ptpb will push all the through the vein then pull back until it pops in and they get blood. Both leave you bruised and sore for days.

Super low angle so the point of the needle can do its job and slip right in, keep the vein from rolling by making a peace sign or an L and holding pressure above and below the insertion point. Your bottom finger will be just like your guide hand when you're shooting pool. You'll feel the vein pop as the needle enters.

Sorry. I'm rambling. I still miss going to work... Really need to get down to the Ranch and start getting back to feeling productive and useful again...

·
Premium Member
4,736 Posts
@Rachgier - Can I get you to do my draws every month? Most of the techs where I have to go couldn't hit a balloon with a shotgun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts