Got a new ride

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Mar 7, 2015.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Looked at several, drove a few the last few weeks. Missed out on a few good deals.

Rode with a friend down to State College today to pick up his new bike.

On the way home, I stopped and bought this.

[​IMG]

95 Chevy Blazer. 4.3 Motor with 165K on it. Pretty good shape overall. Can't complain. Needs a little work, I'll post more tomorrow (including pics of the bike because I know you'll want those)

2. tallbump

I'll post more about the Blazer in the morning. it's nothing special. But it's mine.

But, the bike, it's AWE-Frigging-SOME!!!

It's a 2014 Ural Gear Hear Up

http://www.imz-ural.com/2014-gear-up.html

The coolest thing is the wheel in the side car is also powered, so the bike is 2 wheel drive. These things go through snow, mud, everything. Check out the You Tube vids of these things.
    They are made in Russian and shipped to Washington and distributed from there.

He got the last remaining 2014 still in a crate, unassembled out in Washington. Shipped it to the dealer and we went and picked it up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. colthrash

colthrash Member

I am already envisioning forward and rear facing weapon mounts... or possibly a ring? love the e-tool on the side...

4. Ummmm look up some of the BMW motorcycles used by the Germans in world war two. Side car wheel is in line with cycle rear wheel and has drive shaft connecting them. Ural is just new version of old technology. And they had mg34 &42's mounted on them

5. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

The urals are basically just a copy of the old beemers, a guy who used to come into the bike shop I worked at owned three or four of them, decent bikes but they have their little issues....especially wheels! Going to need a trueing stand and lots of patience those things love to loosen up, almost every tire change is going to also require a spoke tightening and wheel trueing.

I think that guy eventually ended up mounting up some cast beemer wheels on one of his bikes, think they were off an r40 or r50.

And grats on the blazer, I've owned 2 4.3 chevys, one a 96 swb stepside with the vortec and a 5 speed bought with 320k miles and sold with 480k, and a 93 gmc swb stepside with the 4l60e bought with 280k and sold with 350k, those 4l60's suck though, got it down to where I could do an R/R in just under 45 minutes lol.

Just went through the whole car buying crap myself, I looked at just about every used car from Baton Rouge to New Orleans, every one was some auction house loser or orange peel painted rebuild. Finally ended up with an 02 Nissan Xterra with 136k, would have rathered a decent japanese truck but the suv counterparts have half the resale...plus you have room to camp in them.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  6. bluharley

bluharley Member

I used to frequent a bike shop south of Colorado Springs in the late '90s that always had a couple Urals on hand. I think they are way cool :cool: Grats on the Blazer, I need to replace my old 92 Ranger some how, soon. :(

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

You got the Blazer and the skinny guy was thrown in for free or what?

;)

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Ummmm...and the Russians did what Russians always did....copied them and kept making it for the next 60 years.

So, no, it's not a "new" version. It's a newly made old version, with very few updates or modernization.

They did preserve some of the old quirks though, like RedRaptor said.;)

9. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Sweet bike! Something I could handle even.

10. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I think it's way cool!

And congrats on the blazer tallbump. I just bought a 1989 4runner. It's got 233,000 miles on it.

I always wanted one back in the eighties.

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Glad you got a vehicle Tall.

12. bluharley

bluharley Member

I've been shying away from vehicles with close to 200k on it, which puts them out of reach for me. But after reading what you guys are buying, maybe I'll take a closer look. Growing up in NY state, vehicles back then never made 100k, and I guess I'm just stuck in the 70s.

13. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

100k is not bad nowadays, 200k plus on a Toyota is OK as long as It was maintained.

If a vehicle has been taken care of and oil changed regular they'll go for a long time.

They never lasted that long back east or in the midwest because they would rust out from all the salt on the roads in the winter.

14. tallbump

The Ural is awesome. Yes, it has it's quirk, but as Al says, it's like a 70 year old design. The 14s did get some upgrades, including fuel injection and Brembo disc brakes all around. He almost went with the 13 to avoid fuel injection, but he wanted the other upgrades. Plus he got an additional 1 year warranty and $350 in extras. They are shipping him a front fearing windshield as soon as it comes in.

The Blazer seems decent. It has it's quirks. The top bushing on the driver's door is broke, so you have to give it a good tug to get it to shot tight. Little fix I'll be doing soon. There is some rust on the rockers, but not bad for this part of the country. I'll fix this as soon as the weather breaks.

Does need a tune up, again, easy to do. The seller told me about this and I already budgeted for it.

Only other issue I noticed is that there was an electrical issue. There are some wires that right under the driver's carpet. They got wet and shorted. The problem was the dome light and one small dash under the driver's side dash won't shut off. They just pulled the fuse for now. They first pulled the dome light bulb. Then they noticed the under the dash one. That's when they pulled the fuse. Unfortunately, that is also the horn and the driver's side power mirror.

Going to pull that other bub, put the fuse back in and see how it goes.

Weather permitting, more pics tonight

15. lsi1

lsi1 Member

ah chevy electrical gremlins. Have helped my friend chase down several in his wife's van. A cheap electrical tester from the parts store can save you hours and days of frustration. Harbor Freight may have them even cheaper.

Tell Mrs. Tall to please start feeding you again.

Seriously congrats i hope you found your family a great car.

16. My crv. Has 215,000 on it.
    My dad has a Honda repair shop. And I help him out every now and then.
    Last week I pulled an 03 accord in for an oil change. The dash said 415,535.
    Maintenance is key

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Tall, it may be that the switch in the door post has corroded and leaving the lights on.
    It sounds these are the courtesy lights that come on when you open a door.
    Start by spraying some WD40 and pushing the switches in a couple of times.
    After you put the fuze back in obviously.

18. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Does sound like courtesy lights, my old s10 did that, I just unplugged the switches at the doors, had no ac so most of my drag strip time was spent with the doors open.

If you can open up the switches an eraser and some contact cleaner will polish those contacts up like new, dab of dielectric will keep it from happening again.

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Isn't that the SUV where they had Lenny KravitZ song Fly Away on the ad?
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiEcvCeuGN8[/ame]

:rofl:

Got a Moose w/209K, still going STRONG!

20. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I had the same issue with my '95 Chevy Suburban. The wires under the carpet turned out to be grounds and I just extended them 6", used shrink tubing to seal the new splices, and zipped a self-tapping sheet metal screw higher up on the floor pan to keep them dry in the future.

For the courtesy lights, it turned out that the disconnect switch on the passenger side had popped through its retaining clip and fallen in to the dash. Mine were crappy plastic ones located on the side of the dashboard and made contact with the interior door panel. I had a dome override button which allowed me to shut off all the courtesy lights in the vehicle though so I never bothered replacing it.