Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting the boot out of save a lot grocery store I sent a inquiry to their head quarters here is the response .
Mr. Ray in response to your complaint about being asked to leave our Lansing store location for carrying a firearm, it is and has always been our stance with our stores that we do not allow firearms in our facilities under any circumstances. We do have the right as a private business to ask anyone violating this policy to leave our property immediately. Very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused and we welcome you to continue shopping at our store.

Loren doty

Director of Retail Operations

Alliance Foods Inc.

517-278-2396 ext 1267

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Michigan Open Carry President has contacted them and requested they change their corporate policy. He hit them with the MI numbers. 240000 CPL holders and many thousands more who can OC.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
By most state laws, the business is REQUIRED to post a sign if they don't allow people to carry in their establishment. I don't know about Michigan, but I know in New Mexico, it's law.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Signs have to be posted on all entrances and the letters a certain size. Most of teh signs I have seen are not legal anyway. As a result they still have to ask you to leave before it becomes trespassing. At that point if you don't leave they can press trespassing charges against you.

The problem is many of these stores will put the sign up way over on the window away from the door so even if the sign is legal it's placement is not. They are just trying to please everyone and not realizing that most people don't care if I carry in the grocery store.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Here in SC the sign has to 8''x10'' with large bold lettering "No Concealed Weapons Allowed" In the center of the sign has to be a large black out line of a gun inside a circle with a dash going from bottom left to upper right. The sign is required to be place 36'' to 40'' above the bottom level of the door and is required at any place of business that does not want firearms.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The only rule in MI is the size of the lettering, all entrances, and distance from the entrance. So it can make it a bit difficult!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
if they persist in refusing you to be able to defend yourself, ask them if they want the liability when you are injured in their store? when a buisness takes away your right to self defense they become liable for your safety in that buisness.

SW

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
if they persist in refusing you to be able to defend yourself, ask them if they want the liability when you are injured in their store? when a buisness takes away your right to self defense they become liable for your safety in that buisness.

SW
+1 on that. Maybe we should all go in these places and slip and fall on the floor? :thinking:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Well lets wait and see what they determine after all we have had good luck in changing minds before! Look at Bass Pro Shop!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Bass Pro. Inc. Clarifies Policy – Open Carry Welcome!

OpenCarry.org (OCDO) is pleased to announce that Bass Pro Inc. advised OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk by telephone today that open carry of holstered handguns is as welcome as concealed carry provided all federal and state laws are followed.

After being contacted by OpenCarry.org (and apparently some of our almost 20,000 some thousand members) about sporadic inconsistent treatment of open carriers at some Bass Pro shops, Bass Pro’s Manager of Communications Larry L. Whiteley asked OCDO co-founder Mike Stollenwerk for more background information and some time to straighten things out.

Stollenwerk advised Whitely two weeks ago that open carry is legal in most states, usually without a permit, and that Sportsmens’ Warehouse and Cabelas have adopted clear corporate policies welcoming open carriers in their stores just as they do concealed carriers. Further Stollenwerk noted, it’s better to adopt one clear corporate policy than allow individual employees make up store rules or give legal advice to customers, i.e., the proverbial but well meaning, “psst, hey, you gotta cover that up, it’s the law” kind of thing, which can get gun owners in trouble for breaking the law and unlawfully concealing (e.g., in Wisconsin where no permit to conceal is even issued).

Well today Mr. Whiteley called and confirmed that Bass Pro’s policy is and “always was” to be to respect lawful customer gun carry, concealed or open, and that steps the following steps are being taken to ensure this policy is understood by all managers and employees, including production and distribution of training videos as well re-drafting of signage pertaining to guns.

OpenCarry.org is pleased that Bass Pro. joins both Sportsmens’ Warehouse and Cabelas in clarifying to OpenCarry.org that open carry is welcome in their stores as a matter of corporate policy.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Thats a crock, and here is a message I sent to the email posted in the OP

Due to your policy of not letting law abiding citizens practice their 2nd Amendment Rights and carry a firearm in your stores, concealed or otherwise, I will not be shopping at Sav-A-Lot or any other Alliance Foods establishments. Thank you and have a nice day.

Jonathan Kiviniemi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.