Got good news today

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by planosteve, May 8, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I got a call from my boss in KC today and he hand some very good news. In a few weeks I will be getting the back pay I am owed from when I was a COOP.

I talked to my wife and told her the vacation fund gets half and I get the other half. As she blew my entire bonus on new living room furniture I told her I am using the other half to get me a rifle to shoot service rifle matches. She is not overly thrilled about that but she did say it was fair.

So as soon as I get it I am going to order the Windham AR I want. Here is a link for those interested.

http://www.windhamweaponry.com/pdf/NewTechSeets/R20GVTA4S-7%203-25-14%20MSRP.pdf

Reasons are:

Price: Under $900.00 out the door from grabagun and I don't need to have it shipped as they are 20 minutes away.

Accuracy: These are very accurate rifles

Ammo: Easy to get and cheap when compared to a M1A. I already have 960 rounds and nothing to shoot them in. I will need to get HP to shoot at my local range but I can swing that.

Money left over for mags and ammo. I will also be looking into a quick detach scope mount and scope at a later date.

I like the looks of the standard AR. This will stick out more than all the tacticool one I see all the time.

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

My 1st AR was a Stag model 4.
    I should have kept it!

Attached Files:

3. Rerun

Rerun Member

Well, that went nicely.

Congratulations!

eldar

4. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Congrats! Now since I'm out of living aunts & uncles, or any relatives older than myself to leave me some money, I plan on winning the lottery on Saturday. Barring that, looks like I need to sign up for overtime to get me any new firearms.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I need more OT as well. Nice Deal, Plano!

Only 960 rounds of 5.56? :rofl:

6. planosteve

As I do not currently own a 5.56 I figure that is a good amount to have on hand. Start buying HP's this week so I will be able to go straight to the range after I get it.

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    Just stirring things up... ;)

But I bet you'd need to sell some 22lr to be able to catch up on the big-boy ammo :D

8. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Awesome, congrats!

My bonus, if I get it, will be going to buy the girls a swing set.

Be waiting to get a range report. :)

9. planosteve

Nope, don't need to sell my LR's. currently 5.56 isn't too expensive. If I work it right I should be able to pick up enough for a moderate zombie apocalypse fairly quickly. My goal is to have at least 2K rounds of FMJ and 2K of HP's before the end of the year. I will keep the green tip I have in reserve unless I can sell it to CTD for a buck a round.

10. planosteve

Good for you Tall, the only child I have to get toys for is me.

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    But that's still not catching up on Big Boy Ammo ;)
    If I get a local shipment the 5.56 I want, I hope to have at least that much
    more by summer's end myself. As you may know, SHTF commences 10/20/15! :foilhat:

12. planosteve

How well do AR's hold up using steel case ammo? I found some 62 HP wolf for a real good price.

13. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Dang! My first AR was an M16. Then I had to give it back :mad:

14. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

According to this test that Lucky Gunner did awhile back, They seem to hold up just fine. I ran some Tula through my SU-16 without problems, before I got my AR, and I imagine it would do well enough in an AR, too. In fact, I was so confident in it, that I bought a 500-round case of 55-grain Wolf when it was on sale for $105, last summer. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to try it out.

15. planosteve

Thanks for the info

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    T1st beat me too it :D Supposedly the ammo savings will offset at least the cost of 5 to possibly 10 new barrels, in the time it takes to "wear it out" :eek:
    Polymer Coated Steel Cased Ammo is likely easier on the chambers and barrels than even brass, but I have seen no testing...

17. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I've ran a few hundred through mine..... Dirty as hell, but no problems.

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    I have procured a 1/2 case of Tula Steel AR Ammo, (500rds) and hope to test it this month. I will stack that in earnest if it is acceptable! I have seen it as low as 21¢/round online :dance: :llama: :dance:

19. planosteve

As I have to use HP's at my local ranges I will need them for that. For the farm, anything I want to shoot goes with the exception of nukes. So now is the time to start stocking up. Before the elections.

20. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

That seems stupid they want you to use just hollow points at the range.
    I can understand steel cased/tipped ammo in an indoor range, but hollow points......