Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Got my Hunting Rifle---Looking for Info

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Pistol Pete 
#1 ·
So i finally bit the bullet and bought the .30-06 i have been beating myself up about. It is a Savage model 110...got it used at the pawn shop for $230 with a little 3x9 on it and a box of reloaded ammo. Also came with a sling but its nothing special.

Anyways i am excited to take it out and so some hunting soon...i have a buddy with a ranch so its always open game for anything roaming the property...I am looking for any info on this gun somebody can give me. How does it hold up and if you own one i would like to see what you have done with it...pics of hunts or anything of the like.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have a Remington 30/06 ........the 30/06 is pretty much an all around great gun .... just put a better scope on it ... and i would suggest shooting 150 grain bullets { Winchester power points has killed many a deer 4 me}

#3 ·
I have a Savage 110 in .30-06.

I got it for an early Christmas present, and I love it. Haven't had a chance to hunt with it yet, but it is a sweet shooter, to be sure. Mine is in the black synthetic stock, and came with the Simmons 3-9X40 scope, but I added the bi-pod, which helped my shooting a lot. I have shot Federal 165 grain and Remington 150 grain ammo in it, and it did well with both. I hope you enjoy it.

#4 ·
Thanks guys!

I went to buy ammo at wally world and they had nothing...went to CAL Ranch and they had nothing...Went to Big 5 AND nothing...so i finally went to KMart and they actually had the shelves stocked! So i bought a box of 150 grain and a box of 180 grain because they were the same price!! I plan on taking some small game tommorrow!

#9 ·
I love 30-06-- it can pretty much take any game in North America-- and a good portion of game in the world. It is a pretty safe bet that if SHTF 30-06 will be there till the end-- I am working on trading a Armscor Model 20, and FEG .32ACP, and a Maverick 88 for a Remington 742 30-06. I wasn't trading the Maverick, but I got a like new Remi 870 in a trade this week, so the Mav is sort of surplus...

#10 ·
from what ive heard savage has had an increasingly good reputation for out of the box accuracy. The savage in my sig shoots nice little 1/2-3/4 groups at 100 yds
I agree-- Savages are just about the best value for the buck IMHO. I got a Wally World MkII (non accu trigger) that is a tack driver. I put a little off brand 3X9 on it and will be putting on a cheap bipod on this weekend, but I am positive it will be putting some suirrel on the table this fall....

#12 ·
I love 30-06-- it can pretty much take any game in North America-- and a good portion of game in the world. It is a pretty safe bet that if SHTF 30-06 will be there till the end-- I am working on trading a Armscor Model 20, and FEG .32ACP, and a Maverick 88 for a Remington 742 30-06. I wasn't trading the Maverick, but I got a like new Remi 870 in a trade this week, so the Mav is sort of surplus...
I have a Remington 742 30-06. ..... I would not advise getting one.....a piece in the inside of the gun is made of soft metal ....which after some years of punishment it flattens down and causes JAMS constantly

Unless you know a good gunsmith that can weld a new piece of metal on it will make you really mad to own this gun..

It Jams every other shot .... when i deer hunt with it i have to carry around a little screw driver to unjam it

And this is the Problem with all 742's ... if you don't believe me look it up

#14 ·
Thanks gunman...it was between that and a mossberg with a synthetic stock...i just couldnt pass up the look of the wood on a good hunting rifle.

#15 ·
I have a Remington 742 30-06. ..... I would not advise getting one.....a piece in the inside of the gun is made of soft metal ....which after some years of punishment it flattens down and causes JAMS constantly

Unless you know a good gunsmith that can weld a new piece of metal on it will make you really mad to own this gun..

It Jams every other shot .... when i deer hunt with it i have to carry around a little screw driver to unjam it

And this is the Problem with all 742's ... if you don't believe me look it up
I hear ya-- I met the guy last evening and inspected the rifle-- good chamber with no rust, almost no wear, and it shoots great. He and I talked about the 742 issues, and he knows that they aren't designed for 100+ rounds on a weekend-- that being said, I am trading this to be a sub 200 yard (100-150) brush gun. I have a call into Accuracy Systems in CO to get parts of the gun updated, and a heavy barrel with a brake-- Supposedly they will upgrade it (not sure exactly how) to a 750 or something-- probably will cost more than a new 750 going that route. But I am not worried, I have less than $300 into what I am trading him for, and since I shot his already (the 10 round mag works awesome too) I feel ok about the trade. He is offering the trade w/scope rail, sling (whee..), 2 mags (10 and 4) and a box of 30-06...

Not too bad..pics to follow when (and if) we make the trade this weekend...

G
#16 ·
Make sure you have a good scope that can handle the recoil. If you shoot it and it hits where you want it to every other time then the scope is blown out inside. Nikkon makes a good 3x9 by 40 $199.00 thats great I put one on a 270wsm and its great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.