Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new camo 45 yesterday and really like what it looks like in hand. I liked the photo shown on Bud's Gun Shop, but photos can be a tad deceiving at times, so I was pleased with the WYSIWYG.
I especially like the camo grips and wish they came as an available accessory for my 380 & C9. I have spray rubber on my 40, so don't want to change that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I picked one up from Buds last week. This is my first Hi Point, and I think I got just what I expected. Let me state that I haven't fired this gun yet, but I have no reason to believe that it won't go bang. Also, I didn't expect to open the box and find a S&W, I knew before hand that I had purchased a gun that would rank somewhere below my Kel-Tecs (a few of which are my favorite pistols at any price). I was shocked at how top heavy this gun is, even with a loaded magazine. I understand why the slide is large and heavy, but HP might have considered weighing the frame some to balance this pistol a bit better. First thing I did was tear it apart (not only because I am a guy, but I like to give each of my new babies thier first bath). Shocking, whatever this "paint" that they coat the barrel in was already flaking off, mixing with what little oil was on the action, and turning into sludge. Ok, I can always refinish (properly, HP are you listening?) the barrel, but I thought it was pretty poor form to send out a firearm with major finishing blemishes (at any price...). Then I had the pleasure of removing the firing pin, this is a nice piece of tin isn't it? Two things to mention here. The firing pin is made from a very soft material, as is the extractor. Now these are two parts that will get the brunt of wear and tear with regular use, and I realize that these are lifetime warranty, but I can't honestly trust my life to a weapon that I can't trust EVERY time. Needless to say, this gun won't fill the "truck gun" role that it was originally purchased for. However, as a plinker I think it will do fine, even if it has the worst ergonomics that I have ever encountered. I know that HP has gained some loyalty, and that is fine with me. I don't mean to bash on any of you for supporting an American company. This is the first and last HP that I will ever buy, and never recommend.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sell it to me if you don't like it I will take it off your hands and you can by another kel-tec. My jhp .45 in od green is great shoots everything I feed it and is accurate as hell.One of the best guns I own .

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn't doubt for a second that this is an acurate weapon. With the fixed 4.5" barrel it would take a major sight problem to be inaccurate. I am also sure that it will feed/fire most ammunition (I have heard that they prefer the 230gr simply because the balistic force is greater thus aiding in this heavy slide to move all the way back). My issues are with the factory finishing of the barrel, maybe the plastic trigger, and the light weight firing pin/extractor. Also the ergonomics leave a lot to be desired. I have fitted a slip-on grip that seems to help. I might get a few rounds thru it today, so we will see there. I haven't ruled out that this firearm will be a good shooter, just that I wouldn't depend on it to aid my rescue. On a side note the feed ramp is a great design that should allow many blends of ammo to feed. Polish, not paint though...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Please explain how you can either trust, or not trust your HP before you have ever even fired it one time?

I'm a complete pistol noob so I would like to know. I was not aware that the finish on the outside of the barrel made a pistol unreliable. I'm no metal expert, but how do you tell how soft or hard the metal is just by looking at it?

Seriously, I would like to know.

-Spiker

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok, it is late but I am going to write this now just to make sure that I do it. I managed to get the HP to the range today with a box of 230gr Blazer Brass (everyone likes/dislikes certain ammo, BB has always been good to me for plinking). This gun shot very well. Not a single misfeed/light strike/ FTF. I WAS NOT shocked at this. Also, the recoil was very soft compared to other (more expensive) 45's that I own, and I atribute that to the blowback design. Ergonomics weren't great, but I dealt with that in my own way I suppose. I could see a person with small hands having trouble, but that was not the case for me. Accuracy was good. Trigger response wasn't bad, but spongy in my opinion. More range time with this gun and I am sure I would get used to the trigger (as with most guns). I did notice that the firing pin was striking the primers a bit hard (BB uses CCI primers), and as I affirmed that the firing pin is already made from a non-hardend metal this might lead to premature wear (which one could argue isn't a problem when given a lifetime warranty). Now if I were to choose between a hard strike or a light strike, obviously I would go with the first as it will still more than likely go bang. My statements about not trusting this gun are maybe incomplete. In my opinion (for what it may be worth to you), if you were to plan on using this as a defensive tool, I would keep a very close eye on the firing pin (the tip, make sure it is not warped bent, etc) and the extractor (clean, not bent, or chipped). If there is anyone currently making an alluminum trigger for this gun, I think I would like that (not much of a function upgrade though, just feels better to me). All in all, I got my moneys worth. It is what it is, and it is foolish to hold it to a higher standard. If nothing else, at least it was made in the USA!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that G. The link lead to a "product not found", but I see where they are selling triggers for the carbines. Do they/did they make one for the handguns? It is all preference I suppose. An alluminum trigger won't change the "mushy" feel of this, but it would be worth the $17 IMO.

·
Registered
134 Posts
there used to be an aluminum trigger FS on the site, it seems to have been removed at this point. I hope it returns though as I was wanting one myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts