Greets from Columbia, SC

Discussion in 'Welcome Aboard' started by bcoats, Dec 16, 2014.

1. bcoats

bcoats Member

Hello,

Been a Hi-Point owner for a while (as a matter of fact....all I have is Hi-Points - 4595TS, CF380, and C9), but thought I'd finally join this forum. (Had a warranty question, and saw on the Warranty page a link to the forum, so I thought I had to go here to get the details until I found the phone numbers.)

But now that I've joined...hello to all!

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Hi from Texas. This is a great place to ask questions so if something is broke ask away.

3. bcoats

bcoats Member

Thanks much! My 45 carbine and 380 have functioned flawlessly; zero of this infamous break-in period, outstanding accuracy out-of-the-box, etc.

The C9 I bought used at a shooting range. It looked pristine other than one of the dots missing from the right post of the rear sight (replacement already in the mail, so no worries there), and the deal I negotiated was too good to resist. Now, I've only shot the pistol once (50 rounds through it during my CCW class a couple of weeks ago), but I did notice that the last round hold open feature seemed to be functioning sporadically (although everything else was perfect). But I don't know whether that was just operator error or what, so I'm inclined to reserve judgment until I've gotten a couple more range trips under my belt. If I'm still having issues at that point, I'll give you all a shout - sounds like there's some really knowledgeable people here.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    A barely used C-9 at a great price? Gee that's a new one. Oh wait. That's right. I happens every time a new owner expects $150 perfection, doesn't quite get it and is too lazy or too toopid to fix it. If the LRHO is the only problem you got lucky. Make sure the LRHO moves freely and springs back to it's original position. If it does, clean it, oil it, put a few hundred more rounds through it. She'll start breaking in by then. If you end up with feed issues (most common reason newbies dump their C-9s) we'll be happy to help you sort that out too.

5. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Hello, Welcome to the forum!

6. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Welcome from ND!!!

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Welcome. Do you ever make it to Manchester Forest Shooting Range or the one at PSA? SC is one of the best places for ranges.

8. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

WELCOME from the home state of Hi Point!
    Three Hi Points already,
    Have you seen a doctor yet?

9. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Welcome from the great southwest!
    CicPup is really not a jerk even though he comes off that way. lol
    And remember, You can always send it back to mom. It will come back good as new, and they will throw in an extra mag for your trouble (so I hear). HP has the best warranty in the business.

10. MachoMelvin

You never heard that from him!

11. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Hello from Indiana! Glad your here!

12. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    [​IMG]

What the hell you apologizing for me for? I only attacked the schmucks who expect everything and give up too easy. Not this fine upstanding young Hi-Point owner. Besides, I don't need to be explained. Just experienced.

13. bcoats

bcoats Member

So where is the Manchester Forest one? Never heard of it...to the best of my knowledge the Indian Creek one (way up in Newberry...past Molly's Rock, I believe, going toward Whitmire, on HWY176) was the closest outdoor range...and that's definitely not worth the drive for me, even if I COULD shoot cheap steel/aluminum-cased ammo there! But, yes, I do go to the PSA range a good deal. Thanks!

14. bcoats

bcoats Member

And as for you....I totally understood your first comment. Threw me for a loop when I glanced at it offhand, after clicking the link in my email...actually did think it was an insult for about 0.5 seconds, until I ACTUALLY read it all the way through...and then it made perfect sense.

So, I think I understand their apologies for you...and understood you just as well...so no problems here! :)

15. bcoats

bcoats Member

Say, any chance that there's anyone here, also from South Carolina, and who has likewise applied for a first-time CWP within the last several months? (Probably way too specific a query to hope for an answer, but who knows, stranger things have happened.) If so...how long did it take? I think it's a little crazy that SLED doesn't post current/recent turnaround times (except maybe they're just too ashamed); and though I've looked and looked, can't find any recent posts on the interwebs reporting recent times. (So I know exactly what I'll do when I get it back!)

Best resource I came across was a thread post from maybe 5-6 months back, where some guy got his in about 21 days...so was pretty hopeful; but I also guess there's an uptick in applications between Thanksgiving and mid-January, so no telling!

16. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Why bother apparently there is no cure

17. Think1st

Florida
    Manchester Forest Shooting Range is towards Sumter, off of HWY 261. If you take Garner's Ferry east toward Sumter, you'll turn right onto HWY 261, which will put you going south. It looks to be about 6-8 miles south of Garner's Ferry from a quick Google Map eyeball estimate.

From where I live in Columbia, it is just under an hour to get there, which is actually a much easier drive than the one to Indian Creek. They're only open on weekends, but that is the only time that most of us can shoot anyway.

The people out there are pretty good folks, and it's easy to end up spending as many hours BS'ing with the RSOs and other shooters as you do actually shooting. The pistol side goes out to 50 yards, and the rifle side goes out to 100 yards, so unless you are looking to do some extreme distance shooting, it is quite sufficient. You can also use steel cased ammo. They have a 10-round limit on what you can load into magazines at any time, however, and they don't allow rapid fire. When I go to the range, I like to focus on perfecting fundamentals, so I don't mind those restrictions.

At $5 per visit or $25 for the year, it's a pretty good deal. It is actually the first place that I went to shoot when I first got to South Carolina, and it continues to be my favorite place to go.

18. bcoats

bcoats Member

Sorry, been out of touch over the holidays (actually dealing with a plumbing catastrophe for the last week or so)! Thanks very much for the information on this Manchester forest shooting range - I'll definitely have to go check it out. Pretty much dirt cheap, sounds like. I like the PSA range for its convenience and lack of restrictions such as you mentioned (Shooters Choice tends to get irritated about "military-style weapons" - I was able to take my son to shoot the 4595TS for his third birthday, but I don't think they'd be OK with me bringing my recently-purchased VZ58), but none of them let you shoot steel/aluminum-cased ammo...and when it comes to 7.62x39, that can make the difference between a fun, affordable range trip; and a very dull one, because you're having to be so miserly with your ammo!

19. MachoMelvin

How is the VZ58? I have been looking at them for a while. also have my eye on a PPS-43C, I'll make my mind up soon, I HOPE!

20. Think1st

Florida
    I went to Shooter's Choice, once, when I first moved to Columbia. I'll never go back there, again, if I can avoid it. Their staff did not impress me one bit. I've never been to a place where the counter dudes are BS'ing when I approach with an item to purchase, and they keep BS'ing, as if I am not there, while one of them just rings up my purchase and then hands me the receipt with barely a glance in my direction. That kind of rudeness is unforgivable.

And their irrational disdain for the AR platform on their range is ludicrous. One of the staff said that the 62-grain green tip is why they don't allow them. What a joke. The impression I got was if One had brought any other 5.56-chambered rifle, it would have been okay; even though it could also use the same round.

Manchester is definitely the place to go with long guns--especially if you want to use an AK with steel-case ammo.