Grinding my Kahr bad?

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by bluharley, Mar 17, 2015.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

The one thing that bothers me when pocket carrying my Kahr CM40 is the horns on the back of the slide. It's going to wear a hole in my pocket real quick. What to you all think about just rounding those horns off with a Dremel tool? It wouldn't take much just to take the edge off. Not even both sides, just the outside.

Attached Files:

2. bluharley

bluharley Member

Maybe I need a different holster!

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Use a file and do it by hand. More precision and control.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    What Kirk said. Take your time. But if it won't ruin function and increases comfort, go for it. Carrying my Bersa this winter while driving my leg would push up on the muzzle causing the butt to shove up under my ample man-boob. It got to where the sharp ridges on the backstrap were threatening to slice off my nipple. I finally sat on the couch one night filing them down. Now it's more gentle on my lovely breast and my girlie hand.

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Glad I wasn't drinking anything!..... That was funny!

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

That's an image that is now burned in my mind forever, damn it. Thanks for that Cic

7. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Cic, that was Sick; but funny as hell :rofl:

I have a CM40 and carry it in a sneaky Pete type holster on my belt, or under my arm in a Body Armor T-Shirt. Most folks have no idea what it is. One cashier in a 7-11 asked if my belt holster was a PDA and I said yes. He just smiled and said Kool. I didn't lie. It is a "Personal Defense Accessory" :rofl:

P.S. I would seriously look for another way to carry the CM before I would take a file to it. They are probably one of the best handguns made....and pricey as hell. Mine was $800. new. I can't imagine the hit you would take if you ever decided to sell it. :eek:

Attached Files:

• PDA.JPG
      PDA.JPG
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
    • PDA2.jpg
      PDA2.jpg
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  8. bluharley

bluharley Member

I had a Sneaky Pete, just too big for my taste, I returned it. I see some of the Kahrs are expensive, I don't know why. Mine was a factory blemish for $294+$12 shipping, and a 6rnd mag $35. And selling it? I don't think so, I'll just keep it whether I carry it or not. But I'm going to look for another holster, I have it in a #3 Sticky, they recommend a #1, so I have it in the wrong holster. But I really wish they would have rounded that slide off.

9. Django

Django Member

Sent you a pm

10. bluharley

bluharley Member

Thanks, I'll try to find it.

11. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

You filed down your nipple?

12. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Hell of a good deal. I wouldn't mind the blemish at all for that price. Your call on the filing. I personally just couldn't get past the defacing issue of a well made weapon. I would be a lot more apt to do it to an HP, but not a Kahr, Sig or XD. That would be like cutting one of Cic's nipples off....Damn, I can't get that out of my head :foilhat:

Hey Cic, why'd you file both nipples down? :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  13. bluharley

bluharley Member

I couldn't find a problem with it. It didn't pass their final inspection, but it passed mine! Although I think I could pull it off, I'm going to look for another holster that covers that part of the gun without adding too much bulk.
    Yea, that's an image that doesn't go away easy!

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You do know...they've been de-horning (smoothing) carry guns for decades...including really nice 1911's and other high dollar guns.

15. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Hmm. Modify gun, or modify body part. Decisions, decisions....

16. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

Do it. File. It's yours. Make it comfortable. I cannot count the number of trigger spurs, and "horns" I have filed over the years on mine. (no nipples)
    There are not alot of guns I am gonna buy in my life that are gonna go up in price. Most are just like your car when you take it from the lot. It's now worth less. Doing a little filing in the right manner means squat to the value. Only the owner.
    Of course there are a whole bunch of folks on Armslist and other sites who have the notion that their used guns are now worth more. Magic guns!
    For me, if I see a good job of filing, "dehorning", on a gun for sale, I consider that it just may work for me too.

17. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The fact that many high-end concealable handguns feature "melted" or "de-horned" edges and corners, all done with an eye toward a customized configuration, would indicate to me that smoothing some sharp spots will not harm your pistol's value or appeal in the years to come.

As long as you finish your work with some very fine emery paper to give the filed areas a polished, professional look, it will be fine. It may even enhance its value if the sales pitch is right.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't have the time right now or I'd do it myself, but does any one want to run the original NIB price for a 995 "Classic" through an inflation calculator and compare it against used examples today?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. bluharley

bluharley Member

There are some fine examples on Kahrtalk. Here's one. I'd really like to get mine like this.

Attached Files:

20. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

You sir are one sick puppy. Pun intended.