Grip enhancement idea and video... fantastic!

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by xj220_jagcar, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Ladies and gents, I found this video on Youtube just by chance while trying to search for some less slippery grips online. There were very few places that I saw to get aftermarket grips. Take a look at this video below for a great idea. Just did it to mine today, and for the cost of a can of spray paint and 20 minutes, they look awesome and have an awesome texture now. Will post a pic later today when they fully dry and I get them back on the guns. Also, there were several neat colors available so you can customize them to your own liking.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZILLXLJ6ik[/ame]

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Huh. I paid $8 for a hogue slip on, took 1 minute to install...done.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Textured paint? Now why haven't we thought of that before?

4. Good point ajole, that is another way.... but that adds extra bulk to the handle, and this didn't really add much at all. I had thought about what you did, but the idea of keeping the handle "roughly" ;) the same size caught my attention.

5. CAM00449.jpg

So I ended up going with a very similar color, but that's what stood out to me. I was going to show the C9 also, but I had to do a touch up work for some excess spray. This is my 45, turned out nice and feels so much more secure in the hand.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That is a good look.;)

7. It came out really nice looking. I was in Walmart today and seen several colors in the textured spray paint couldn't decide which one to get. I almost got the black but wanted to think about it a little more.

8. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Who made your sandstone grips for your hipoint?

9. Thanks Chartiers! I am really holding myself back from redoing it in some kind of multi-color action. Good luck in your choice, and please post a pic of what you do for all to see.

10. I did pan.. Rustoleum textured spray paint over the factory grips. Watch the video in the first post and you'll see how I got the idea. All you need is a trip to Walmart, some 160 grit sandpaper, the TEXTURED paint of your choice, a little time, and then enjoy it! ;)

11. To add to my grip texture, I'm going to try the paint on my slide grips for my C9 tomorrow. I will post a pic and my opinion of the additional ease for racking a round after it sets.

12. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Bwahaha. Good one.

13. A follow up... so I didn't use paint on the slide. I can handle the C9 just fine, it was mainly for my g/f so she could rack the rounds easier. But, she likes the 45 better, so I just put a 2" strip of black grip tape on either side of the rear of the slide for her. Turned out nice, can barely even notice it's there, and it adds a huge increase for ease of pulling the slide back with only 3 fingers.

14. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

It does look good...nice contrast between the grips and the rest of the gun. My only question would be is how does it hold up to average wear and solvents?

15. Well, the author of the video, "Armed Defender," has made a few videos on YouTube. One he made, "Things about HiPoint that Suck," (yeah, terrible title) says he's had the same paint on for quite a few hundred rounds I believe. I'll make sure not to get any oil on mine, but it hardens like a rock, so I would say it would last a couple/few years. The paint is made to be used on outside furniture and such, and Rustoleum is a well known brand. If it starts to wear off, I will post it for time-frame. For now, I'm a fan, and a touch up should only be about 10-15 minutes.

And thanks for the compliment of the looks!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  16. I did my grips last week.

Attached Files:

17. Very nice Burns! seems like the desert color is a popular choice to go with the black. Thoughts on the texture? How many coats did you use? I went with 4 light ones.

18. Thanks I just went with two coats and now the gun doesn't feel like it is going to slip out of my hand.

19. I painted my grips yesterday and I like the way they look and feel. I noticed that the silver color strip on your slide is a black color. Did you paint the entire slide or just the stripe?

20. From the looks of what he has, I think that's the all black model judging by the factory powder coat. They make the C9 and .380 in the silver accent and all black I'm pretty sure. Nice that you did your grips too, did you go with the same color as Burns and I?