Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate my Bench! It is high time to build a real reloading bench but Tim Allen style! My bench is currently a older piece of plywood with some two by four supports. I am sick of the dang thing not functioning right. I am going to set out tomorrow and buy the stuff and build a nice bench with shelf's, and peg board! I will post some picks of the final product. Anyone else got a nice setup? Ideas would be helpful Thanks -Bob

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
LOL, Haven't taken a pic of mine because I'm ashamed of it. Cobbled it together as just a work bench long before I ever thought about reloading. It is 2' deep, 8" long and even has the old wooden headboard off a waterbed as the 3rd shelf on top. It is strong though. Couple of ideas though are to look at Lowes or Home Depot for the metal brace kits for bench building. They come in a box and will make the bench super strong. Second thought is to make the bottom shelf strong enough to put several hundred pounds of ingots down there. The weight will keep it in place and prevent it from moving around.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mine is pieced together from a $20 computer desk bought at Big Lots, and some scrap wood I found. I'd like to make something nicer, but I don't have a place to put it right now. It gets the job done. Had a nicer setup in Louisiana, before my garage became one with the lake. :-[

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK The plan right now is 22" wide by 96" long. It will have a shelf on one half and a tool box under the other half with peg board sheet hanging on the wall behind it. I have tons of shelving in the garage that i currently keep lead on but i plan on keeping the buckets and ammo cans of brass under the bench on the bottom. The whole thing will be secured to the wall. OK so time to go get started......shoot i need to go get beer and smokes first.......

·
Banned
3,722 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I want pics. :)

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK took 22 96" 2x4's, 3 96"x 7 inch x 1 inch oak boards, and 1 4'x8' x 1 inch piece of ply along with one sheet of pegboard, a 6 pack of Coors light, a pack and a half of smokes, many curses, and some blood but it is finished. I am putting several coats of poly on the bench right now. I am also working 18hr days for the next two days. So when the poly is dry i will post some pics of the final product. Gowd i love the smell of poly and tobacco..lol

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Dude, how much did the lumber cost you for the bench? That sounds like a lot of wood for a reloading bench. I bet it's sturdy as heck though.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Here is a bech I will be building soon based of a member of another loading forum I visit time to time . He has it very orginized and well layed out .

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
That one is very nice and well organized. I wish mine looked half as neat. Oh well, something to strive for.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lumber cost was right around 100.00. And yes she is very sturdy...maybe i will get some pics up tonight....

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
OK The plan right now is 22" wide by 96" long. It will have a shelf on one half and a tool box under the other half with peg board sheet hanging on the wall behind it. I have tons of shelving in the garage that i currently keep lead on but i plan on keeping the buckets and ammo cans of brass under the bench on the bottom. The whole thing will be secured to the wall. OK so time to go get started......shoot i need to go get beer and smokes first.......
you just described my bench to a T. i have a 4x8 sheet of pegboard up on the wall right behind it with all my tools....and instead of a toolbox under one half i keep a shopvac and a trashcan. i love it....plus i have it mounted to the wall so tight i can jerk the crap out of the vice, and run 2 bench grinders mounted to it @ the same time, LOL....until my gf starts complaing about the whole house vibrating, LOL

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL...Great minds think a like........ :D :devilsidesmile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts