Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, MUCH thanks to Julio at http://www.mygsg5.com/. He's a great guy to deal with and the price on everything was great. Shipping was free and I received it all in just 2 days after ordering.

Basically this is a step-by-step on mounting an Airsoft MP5 RIS on the GSG-5. In my opinion, all others out there only look "so-so" and cost twice as much. This one even came with the vertical grip. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the outcome.

Now, on to the pics!!

This screw is normally about 1.5" long, apparently keeps the barrel from twisting and gives the handguard support. I replaced it with a 3/8" stainless steel variant so it'd clear the new collar.

The rifle in it's stock configuration, save for the rubber slip-on grip from Julio

This is the RIS I ordered. It's all aluminum and the covers/grip are hard plastic

This is the collar that comes with the kit. It gives support to the back half of the handguard. This version has a long "barrel" attached to it that got cut off in the next step

This is the collar after I cut the barrel off and trimmed the width/depth to start fitting on to the gun

This is the other portion of cutting/grinding that needed to be done. This part is extremely tedious between taking material out, trial fitting and then doing it all over again.

Collar slid onto the rifle

Collar painted (following day)

The rail on each side actually protrudes past the covers. I took it down by (2) notches for a more flush fit. Also, this keeps the one side from blocking the breech.

Not sure if the flashlight will stay...but it definitely looks decent on there!

All in all, this wasn't a VERY hard job. But I do have tools at my disposal that most people don't. If you're willing to put the time in and be patient, the rewards are worth it. Looks great on the rifle, IMO, and is sturdy enough to pass as OEM.

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
I like it dude. Great job modifying it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the good words, guys. I'm definitely happy with the outcome.

Nice job. I've been trying to decide whether to buy one of these rails or one that I won't have to modify to fit.
Well, like I said, I felt as though the made-to-fit ones don't look the best and are very overpriced. If you have a decent amount of mechanical ability, the right tools and some time on your hands, you can't go wrong with the airsoft unit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought a GSG a few months ago and love it. I just dont think I could do that to mine. Looks sweet but the work on it, Id probably screw it up lol

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GSG-5 Owners:

I'm not sure how many peple (here) know this, but we own a fabrication shop in N.Y. and the link is below to show our work. At this time, I'm contemplating coming up with a pre-made collar that could make these rails work on all rifles as (basically) a bolt-on. I'm looking to make these out of stainless steel, tig-welded where needed, including the shorter stainless steel screw. Powdercoating will be an option as well.

I haven't come up with a price yet, as I just want to gauge interest first. I'll probably get something going on AR15.NET as well. Keep me in the loop if there's any interest in this.

www.rdfabs.com

·
Registered
222 Posts
I feel dumb now. I kept passing this post because it said air-rifle. The mod is a definite improvement. Looks great dude.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel dumb now. I kept passing this post because it said air-rifle. The mod is a definite improvement. Looks great dude.
Lol...trust me, I had serious doubts about even putting an airsoft part on this rifle. But the quality is what you'd expect from a piece for an actual firearm.

·
Resident PITA
16,375 Posts
Come to think of it... We really don't need a clean up. This $#!ts too funny.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol...I've done Google searches for that handguard and my thread is (one of) the only ones that ever came up.

I can't guarantee it'll fit, but if you pull your handguard off, just compare the what you see underneath to my pics. I can't imagine they would've "re-invented the wheel." They probably just changed the barrel shroud and left everything else alone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.