Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I have not had a chance to look at one. If it's as well made as my GSG-5 that may be my next .22 rifle. I'm going to the Pasadena, TX gun show Saturday for a look around. I hope to look one over then.

I really want the SiG 522 but that seems to be on long term hold. I suspect it dropped in the same black hole as the 4595.

Ron M.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Snap....ok....I'm gonna have to get one of those... My bank account isn't going to like it...but I like AKs way too much to pass up on that! Having an AK that I can actually afford to shoot on a regular basis would be huge amounts of win!

·
Premium Member
757 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
BTW, the GSG AK does not accept any real AK parts (i.e. no stocks, receiver cover or any internals), I don't think I'd pay $500 for one, I'd opt for a WASR 22 and have money left over.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Alright...here's my take on things:

GSG-5: $500.00 copy of a (let's say) $2,000.00 MP5

AK: $500.00 copy of a...$500.00...AK-47

The GSG-5 is cool because it allows people to own a VERY GOOD copy of a gun that's legally and financially un-attainable for most shooters. The AK doesn't offer that same appeal; it's cool if you want to save on ammo, but for the same money, one could buy an actual AK-47.

Another thing about the GSG is that the "silencer" fools people even more-so. They see you with an MP-5, and even though it sounds like a .22, they wonder if it is, or a real-deal silenced MP5.

For me personally, I'd buy the Sig Sauer (522) .22lr before the GSG any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Having an AK that I can actually afford to shoot on a regular basis would be huge amounts of win!
x39 ammo is cheaper as hell to shoot, around here you can get 40 rounds for $9.

I hope this takes the "awe" factor away from the GSG-5.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Heck, right now you can get a "real" WASR for $400, and have $100 left over for x39 ammo. Classic even has AK pistols for $399 right now. If the GSG AK was $249 or under, I might think about it. They missed the mark on this one, the target audience (i.e. milsurp shooters) are thrifty and when they can get the real thing cheaper then your market is shot. PS they may sell a few to the suckers in Cali who can't have real AKs

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Huh?

[/quote]

I'm hoping people will get over the GSG-5 when these come out, subsequently making them cheaper and more available.

And the x39 ammo around here comes on four stripper clips, rapped in a plastic bag. No box, no brand, just a cheap price for decent ammo that works.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I suppose if one does not currently have a "scary" version of a semi-auto rimfire, then that GSG might be the ticket. However, I've found that my CMMG 22 AR conversion kit (which I bought for $159 plus shipping, and with 5 BlackDog 27 rounders is still under $300) is plenty accurate.

I'd even bet an AR-15 with the 22 conversion is still more accurate than a 22 rimfire AK knock-off.

Hmmmm....maybe someone out there with both can run us a comparison sometime?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.