Guess I stink too

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by tallbump, May 10, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

:confused:

Took my .22 rifle to the range today. Put a 4x scope on last weekend and wanted to sight it in.

Started at 100yards just because. No dice, couldn't hit the target at all.

Moved to 50. (the 25rd lane was occupied). Still nothing. Even tried a group of 3 shots at the very top, middle right, middle left and bottom of the edges of the target and not one single shot hit the target. Couldn't tell where the rounds were hitting.

I was using brand new CCI .40 grain target ammo.

Picked up some 12X12 hi vis targets from Gander Mountain. It's got a grid pattern and they are the ones that allow you to see the hits easier.

I didn't have a shooting rest, but the range has seats and tables. So I was sitting and resting my elbow on the table in front of me and supporting the rifle that way.

Now, maybe the rifle wasn't level with the target so at 50 yards the angle would be way off, but I'm not that bad of a shot. Can't believe I couldn't hit anything. Tried a couple with the iron sights too at 50yds and still nothing. Now, the rear sight may need adjusted, but still... :confused:

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

i'll give ya the benefit of the doubt and say that the first time you try sighting in an optic, especially at moderate distances, like 100yds it takes a lot more ammunition to find the first hit on paper so that you can make adjustments. wind at that distance, especially with a .22 could be a factor, and if you cant get that initial hit, you can adjust for days and make no progress.

try it again at 25yds, you should be able to hit paper with just eye balling it at that distance, get yourself a baseline and then adjust from there and go further out once you get some consistant hits.

3. rickm

rickm Member

If u have a rest of any kind put the gun on it and sight down the side of the barrel then look into ur sights to see how far off it is this will get u close.

4. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I use a 4x4 sheet of cardboard at 25 yards to start sighting in with a new scope. Once I get somewhat centered I go to the high viz targets at 50 then 100 yards.

5. tallbump

Yeah, if didn't have any kid of rests or bags, so I am sure that made it harder. It was a bit breezy so I am sure that didn't help either.

Next time I will take a bigger target, thanks for that suggestion Mary.

Maybe I'll just go with my buddy who is a firearms instructor and has a rest :D

I really wanted to see if I could do it myself, but I guess not

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I never use a rest. Usually I just put the front hand or arm on a bed rail on the truck, and that's it. I've shot smaller than dime sized groups at 25 that way.

But you really really need to start at 25 yards and move out from there.

Also, I have an advantage, I can set a target in front of a dirt wall, and see dirt kick up from any bullets that miss the target, which is rare.

7. tallbump

The range I was at is free, on State Game lands. They had one lane set up at 25 yards. That was being used by a lady teaching a few young kids to shoot.

They had 2 at 50 and a few at 100. Another guy and his wife/gf came and set up at one of the 50 yarders. So I had access to the 50 and 100 yard lanes.

There is a dirt backstop, but it's behind the 100 yard targets.

Unfortunately, since I didn't bring anyone with me, I really didn't have anyone to see where my shots were hitting.

The backers you pin your targets to is pretty good size, maybe 5 x5, if not bigger. But there were sooooo full of holes there was no way to tell which ones were mine, if any. All in all, the place is fairly run down, but it's free so I am not going to complain. It could be worse.

I think I am going t try to arrange a time where my buddy can go with me. I figure if a firearms instructor (he's a contractor with DHS and has his own private company) can't help me, no one can.

8. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

i scoped an AR a few weeks back
    tried ot start at 50 yards, no hits
    walked in to 25, nothing on paper
    got really pissed at this point and moved in to 10 feet, everything hit the top far right corner of the paper
    after moving in to 10 feet it took me all of 20 minutes to zero the scope

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Don't feel bad at all!
    My Son had to get a clean sheet of paper, much larger than the target, to sight in a new rifle (SR556) and ACOG optic. The paper was 18" and we made it 48" tall. He was barely on the side, and just about as high. This was all at 100 yards. It was not shooter error at all. He was Top Shooter in his Boot Camp platoon, 2nd overall out of 3000 in the whole class.
    Bigger clean sheet, or lots closer. You'll be fine, TB :D

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

if you have a 5x5 area to set targets, might i suggest buying a piece of poster board. that will give you approximately 36inches of coverage to see where you are hitting total. you can still tape or pin your target to the center of it, but it will give you double or triple the ''viewable space'' around your target to see your hits. getting a bright yellow piece of poster board will sometimes allow you to see your holes at greater distances as well without having to keep walking up and down to the target each time to check.

11. Branth

Branth Member

Sounds like it's a rifle problem.

When you first put a scope on a gun, it's often WAY off. Best to start at 25 yards or less, sometimes even 15. Once you get it on paper, then move it out. If it's too far off, you may have to shim your scope mount, but I've thankfully never had to deal with that.

Don't sweat it, man. For all you know, you were shooting half-inch groups 3 feet to the right of the target!

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    PS: He had it sighted in about 5-6 rounds later...

13. tallbump

Thanks, poster board is a great idea. I can get that at the Dollar Store. I wouldn't have thought of that. Maybe I'll even grab a couple and tape em together just to be sure.

Hopefully next time I go I can get on the 25 yd range first.

Thinking about trying to grab a cheap bore sight too to start with and get it aligned that way first. Can't hurt, right?

14. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I use a cheap bore sighter that I got on ebay. I set my rifle up on my kitchen table and point it at the front wall (about 40'). That always gets me on paper at the range then I zero it in from there.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    About all I use my bore sighter for is to put scopes on straighter.

The few times I used them to zero, it took just as many bullets as without it.:rolleyes:

Maybe parallax issues, maybe just that lasing a wall 50 feet away isn't really that effective when I need 75 feet?

16. undeRGRound

INDY

It is just an aid, to get close... my son has had 2 of these, and both were slightly off, as in you could place it in the chamber 4 times, at like 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock and get 4 different dots, at a varying width at longer ranges. Very small diff. at 25 yards, but it grows, just like you would expect. :p

But i should get you down to a smaller initial zero, before shooting.
    At least on paper!

17. talon

talon the banned wagon

thats how i taught my oldest daughters husband to shoot. he couldnt hit the broad side of a barn, so to even see where he was hitting we taped some bright yellow poster board to a sheet of plywood at 25yards and set it up on our range. guy hit every corner of the dang thing, for months. even when i sighted his gun in for him and could pull nice groups, he just couldnt shoot to save his life (he's a bit of a pretty boy, doesnt want to get his toes dirty in the flip flops he wears all year round), but he's got a couple real nice guns (the joys of him being from some money). so i happily will offer to sight his stuff in for him just for a chance to try it.

but, it really does work, and you can see most of the holes from that distance and get a real good idea of where you stand.

18. You can bore sight by pulling the bolt and center the target in the barrel, and without moving anything, look through the scope..... As long as you have a rest of some type. But then what self respecting shooter wouldn't have a red plastic $40 rest?

19. tallbump

Finally got it sighted in. Took it back to my buddy's (the guy who gave it to me) and he messed with it.

He really had to crank on both adjusters to get it where it should be.

Still needs a little fine tuning, which will give me an excuse to head to the range in a few weeks.

But for now, for a free rifle and scope, I am very pleased.

Here's what we were shooting at. This was set up at about 50 yards.

[​IMG]

This was the target at the bottom right of that pic. It's on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper, so the head was about the size of a half dollar.

And we were shooting some old ammo.

[​IMG]

20. undeRGRound

INDY
    I forgot which gun we were talking about :D