Guess My Age ?????

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by fatal-bert33, Dec 8, 2014.

1. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Picked this up last weekend. Can you guess the make, model, caliber and most importantly the age ???

Attached Files:

• m1.JPG
      m1.JPG
      File size:
      52.8 KB
      Views:
    • m2.JPG
      m2.JPG
      File size:
      77.4 KB
      Views:
    • m3.JPG
      m3.JPG
      File size:
      70 KB
      Views:
    • m4.JPG
      m4.JPG
      File size:
      67.1 KB
      Views:

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Mauser style safety?

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Mauser, Small ring, so pre-WW2 years, possibly even earlier, like 1915 or so judging by the limited nice deep bluing I can see.
    Correct thumb notch for stripper clips, Meaning it's a sporterized milsurp, not commercial? Really good looking stock. Nice scope base, and a sweet, gorgeous scope...Weaver K3, maybe?

Caliber...no idea. Originally 7 or 8 mm Mauser, leaning toward 8, without better picks to see the barrel and possible steps, I'd say still 8 mm.

Probably converted in the '50's.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

1955-1960 Santa Fe sporterized Mauser in 30.06

5. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Geezzzzz....did you own this gun ???? Mauser 98 dated 1917, 8MM...and the guy I got it from said it was converted in the 1950's. The scope is a Bear Cub and the mount a Buehler. The condition overall is unbelievable for its age.

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I love it! I have a 1914 spandau, large ring. Sporterized. Also have a 1944 that I recently bedded in a sporter stock myself.

Attached Files:

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Hee hee!
    Yes, that's a beautiful gun.
    You learn stuff in the milsurp game.;)

So, the scope...is it a Kollmorgen Bear Cub? They made camera and projector lenses, periscopes, parts of the Norden bomb sights, in between wars they needed a new line, and so, made scopes. Really good ones, so during later wars like Korea, Kollmorgen scopes were M1 Garand scopes in many cases.

It might also have Stith on it, they worked with Kollmorgen, or Redfield also made a Bear Cub.

It's probably covered by the mount, but do you know the factory that made the rifle?

8. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Yes it is a Kollmorgen scope. Yes the factory name is covered by the scope mount. However, I removed the mount and the factory is J P SAUER & SOHN, SUHL. I assume they are relatives or good friends of yours...lol !!! I want to be as smart as you when I grow up...lol !!!!!

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I wish!

Sauer is one of the oldest German gun makers, they team up with SIG to make Sig Sauer. They were in the East, after WW2 they relocated to the West just a few years prior to the wall.

In WW1, they were a commercial firm making guns for the military, so they were high quality guns.

Can you tell us what you paid?

10. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

I have it for sale locally at $475 so cant say what I paid. Thanks for the info!

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Shoot, that's a good price right there if the barrel is good, so assuming you paid less...NICE!!!:)

Dumb question, as I don't buy to sell....why'd you buy it, just to sell it....was it THAT cheap?:eek:

12. I could see you drooling over that gun, thought you were going to be making an offer on it.

13. Looks like a step to me, so that makes it a large ring. :confused:

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Its possible.

Even probable.

Yeah, I got carried away with other things, and got that wrong.;)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  15. bluharley

bluharley Member

I give up, what do you mean by "step"?

16. No, I don't. :confused:
    How about a close-up of the action only?

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I edited my last post, you were right, I do believe.;)

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

Here's a picture of the large and small. Large is on left, see the little step on the left, where the small ring on the right is smooth?

BTW, the arrows and stuff are to show how an action was set up for a longer cartridge, with different gas ports.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I was goofing around. The step is on the left side of the action (which you cant see on my 1893;) ) and is right at the front of the action's opening, the metal "ring" is slightly larger than the action body. On a small ring, its smooth from the rear to the barrel.

You can clearly see it on the 4th pic in the OP, just go straight down from the front edge of the scope turret....