Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked some noob questions in the past and have gotten great answers (thanks guys!) and I have another one.

I was in WalMart looking for some ammo (and failing... as always) when I walked over to the gun cleaning supplies. I picked up a nice gun cleaning kit for 16 bucks and was looking at the cleaning chemicals and oils. I am new to the gun scene and have no idea what to get. I see some posts saying to get supplies that are synthetic safe. Nothing I read said anything about synthetics. They had RemOil and some stuff by Hoppe's (I think that's the spelling.) So basically what I'm getting at is what should I get chemical wise to clean my JCP? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
GunScrubber (Synthetic Safe - white spray can), Break Free CLP, Boresnake of proper caliber and a couple rags about 6x6 inches. (I use handkerchiefs for this that have been washed in hot water a couple times)

That's all I use on most of my guns. I use lithium grease for lube in high friction areas instead of oil, but thats just really overkill most of the time. Normally and for normal use, Breakfree CLP is more than sufficient.

If you want to take it apart, or take other guns apart, you'll need a couple of pin punches, you can get a good starter set from Brownell's.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I like Hoppe's #9 solvent for cleaning my guns. I use Bore brushes and jags for the barrel and a soft brush (tooth, bottle) for the rest of the gun. Rem oil and white grease for lubing. I have also used brake cleaner to spray down the guns and remove all of the residue.

If you use brake cleaner you MUST use NON-CHLORINATED or the polymer frame will melt!

I know that everyone knows this......but.
All cleaning must be done in a very well ventilated area.
Nuff said.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I'm gonna 2nd Core with the gun scrubber. The regular is widely available at WalMart, but not the Syn safe version. You can request them to get it, but it will take foooooorever to get it in.

Stay away from the Outers "nitro solvent" they sell at WalMart, IMO it leaves to much of an oily residue (and it stinks to high heaven).

A brush/snake/patches/cleaner/oil/drilube/rag will get the job done just fine.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
For my C9, some Shooters Choice spray cleaner for the insides, Hoppes #9 on a boresnake for cleaning the barrell and Hoppes oil for lube.
It takes 5 minutes and does the job.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
gun scrubber=brake cleaner, save the money and buy the latter, it will take off paint if you have painted your weapon. me, brake cleaner, bore snake, and rem oil..that's it. do not use anything with ammonia in it on aluminum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts