Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28808916/

Thoughts and prayers with the families and victims.

DENDERMONDE, Belgium - A man went on a rampage at a Belgium day care center Friday, stabbing two young children and a female worker to death and slashing 10 other children all over their bodies, officials said.

Sobbing parents rushed to the scene and to hospitals, and medical workers in the town sprung into action, performing 10 operations to save the badly wounded children.

The attack caused widespread panic in the day care center, which serves up to 30 children on a residential street in this town 20 miles northwest of Brussels.
Story continues below ?advertisement | your ad here

"An act of great brutality has happened here against our weakest citizens," said mayor Buyse Piet. "The whole city is united in support for the parents who are in deep grief."

Christian Du Four, a local prosecutor, and witnesses said the man rode his bike to the Fabeltjesland day care center, entered about 10 a.m. and immediately began slashing a knife around. The dead included two children - ranging in age up to 3 - and a woman working in the day care center.

Du Four said in the mayhem that ensued the attacker simply walked out and got back on his bicycle before being arrested in a nearby supermarket shortly after the attack.

Dr. Ignace Demeyer, director of the local hospital, said 10 children arrived at his hospital with very serious stab wounds, all required surgery, and all were now in stable condition.

He said the attack was very violent and the children had multiple stab wounds all over their bodies.

Demeyer also said 21 children were at the daycare at the time of the attack, and nine were unharmed.

Attacker had no connection to center
Du Four did not immediately identify the suspect, who was injured as police detained him and taken to a nearby hospital. Local residents told The Associated Press the suspect had a history of mental illness.

Du Four said police showed shaken parents digital photographs of the youngsters who had been taken to the hospital, asking them to identify their children.

"People are totally in shock," said Leene Du Bois, a spokeswoman for the regional government of Flanders. "Nobody would have imagined anyone could do so much harm. There is much grief."

She said the perpetrator had no connection to the day care center.

The city opened up a nearby community center to provide psychological counseling to victims and witnesses of the stabbings.

Veerle Heeren, the social welfare minister for the regional Flemish government, said she would be investigating security measures at the center.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I hear in Great Britain, Since their gun control ban, they are talking about banning those Wang Chung samurai swords you get at flea markets, because people are hacking other people with them. Take away one instrument of death, and someone else will find another way of killing another person.

·
Registered
23 Posts
All gun control does is to provide more victims. When the criminals know that people are unarmed, they run rampant without any hesitation as they know noone will fight back. Just look at Chicago after their gun bans. Our parayers are with the victims and their families.

Mayor Daly of Chicago said that without gun control we would revert back to the times of the "Old West." I hope so. There was alot less violence back then.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
"There's more then one way to skin a cat"
Criminals will always find a way to commit their crimes, and use any weapon available to them

Jet

·
Registered
85 Posts
yeah whats next, no more guns also means no more baseball because bats are being use to kill people with. then hammers, crowbars,.........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yup, I told a gun hater once that a gun is just a tool, like a hammer. I use a hammer to build a house to protect my family from the elements and I use a gun to protect my family from other unsavory elements. He told me, "But a gun can kill a person." I smiled and said, "You're absolutely right. So can a hammer."

·
Si vis pacem para bellum
548 Posts
Why the children?? There is little or no justice for criminals like that. Man I love children and I couldn't be a police officer because of low life like that. I would show no compassion while arresting him and hope that before anyone else arrived I could get rid of him in a river somewhere. And no thats not justice but sending him to eternal hell early might be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why the children?? There is little or no justice for criminals like that. Man I love children and I couldn't be a police officer because of low life like that. I would show no compassion while arresting him and hope that before anyone else arrived I could get rid of him in a river somewhere. And no thats not justice but sending him to eternal hell early might be.
I know how you feel. I have 8 kids and will protect them fiercly. I had someone ask me once what I would do if someone broke in and attacked my family. I told him that if that ever happened, I would empty my gun into their head. No hesitation, no regrets.

·
Gun Fanatic
830 Posts
Actually Belgium got better gunlaws than most european countries.

But ofcourse, carrying weapons is a no go even there.

G

·
Hearing this reminds me of that one douche, who attacked a lady with a short bladed knife: repeated stabbing of her, all caught on film. Only a few folks made half assed attepmts to stop him. No balls required to live in Europe, I take it.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hearing this reminds me of that one douche, who attacked a lady with a short bladed knife: repeated stabbing of her, all caught on film. Only a few folks made half assed attepmts to stop him. No balls required to live in Europe, I take it.
Depends on WHICH part in Europe. There are PLENTY of parts that would frankly scare the HELL out of most Americans. Like all media: It's the sensational bits from the "clean" parts that only get filtered over here. Hell, most Americans I talk to think that the last war to occur in Europe was WWII!!

Like to see you try that knife trick in Essex or Cardiff. You'll get taken down AND your iPod nicked.

And, I had a research post done on EU countries with right to bear arm laws somewhere on here... gimmie a few to dig it up.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Ah, here it is!!! Cut and Pasted from a previous post I had written:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's something to chew on.... A list of nations that allow REAL WORLD right to bear arms for personal defence. Some of the laws might seem a bit strict to us, but in comparison to other nations that don't allow personal firearms at ALL, these are some pretty promising states. Also, it's interesting to note that many nations that allow personal arms ownership (handgun), are some of the more secure economies in the world (But that's just my take).

Here's a list of states with established gun laws that I could find with current research resources. Your mileage may vary This is by no means a complete listing, but a set of listings of the most popular researched countries that are willing to document gun policies. Lesser developed nations (i.e. nations currently at war or under a coup) don't even bother with arms laws...:

Germany
If you are considered as target shooter, you can only have 2-3 small caliber gun (<.32) and one large. Storage can be checked by police. Hunters may buy an unlimited number of guns > 60 cm long. Handguns are limited to a total of two revolvers or pistols. Fully-automatic weapons are illegal. Rifles and shotguns are limited to 2+1 rounds. Hunters may only carry their gun to, from, and during hunting. Carrying in public is illegal without a hard-to-get special permit.

South Africa
Permit with fingerprint required. Full auto and semi auto rifles are very difficult to obtain. Concealed carry is allowed. no restriction on handguns. (Funny: hard to get an AR or AK, yet you can have a CCW with no issue)

Switzerland
Permit is required but easy to get. no limitation of caliber or number of guns. Full auto available for collectors only. Concealed carry is legal except in 2 states.

The Netherlands
You can ask for a permit after a year of membership in a club. Need certificate from the club. No more than 5 guns. Full auto is illegal.

Austria
Need permit for handguns and number of handguns is limited to 2 (5 for hunters). Need special permit for carry. No permit for rifles or shotguns.

Finland
Minimum age of 18 years old, with federal review of permit.

Italy
Local authorities issue permits to bear arms. Validity periods and procedures vary depending on whether the permit is for self-defense, sport, hunting or collecting. All requests must be accompanied by medical certificate showing the applicant is sound in mind and body. If the permit is for self-defense, the request must be based on a valid reason to bear arms.

Ireland
Pistol and Rifle ownership legal, as is shooting on private land. Illegal to transport outside of locked carrier. Home must be equipped with a non-mobile, alarmed safe.

Russia
Longarms (Shotguns and Rifles) for sport with licence (easily obtained, but exensive), but cannot be transported "assembled". Russian federal law states that a firearm is considered "disassembled" when the magazine for the weapon is detached. Transport for self-defence is NOT considered a legal justified reason, but only cited if there is an incident with the firearm. Pistols are illegal.

China
All citizens prohibited from owning any guns. No exceptions

Brazil
All firearms in Brazil are required to be registered with the state; the minimum age for ownership is 25 and it is generally illegal to carry a gun outside a residence.

India
Indian citizens have the right to own, possess and carry guns provided a license / permit is obtained under the Central Arms Act, usually necessitating a background check from the nearest police department, or other law enforcement agency. The Indian government also distributes arms to citizens in areas ravaged by foreign infiltration and insurgency, as state policy.

New Zealand
New Zealand gun law is covered by the Arms Act 1983 and the Arms Regulations 1992. In order to own a firearm, a person must obtain a firearms license. These are issued by the police and enable holders to own and use sporting rifles, shotguns and ammunition. In order to obtain a license, applicants must pass a test on 'safe and responsible firearms use, ownership, and storage'. They must also be a 'fit and proper person' to hold a license, based on a background check, and the license may be revoked for a variety of reasons. A special license is required by dealers, collectors, pistol club members, and owners of certain semi-automatic firearms. Less than 3% of all firearms owners have such endorsements and they must comply with much more stringent conditions than sporting firearms license holders. When not in use firearms must be locked in a secure rack and cabinet.

Netherlands
Dutch gun law is typical of the Western European approach. Firearm possession is not subject to any constitutional protections, but regulated simply in the Arms and Ammunition Act (Wet Wapens en Munitie). Weapons, including firearms, are divided into four categories, and for each of the categories a certain maximum punishment is set for "voorhanden hebben" (possession), and "dragen" (carrying in public). Only citizens who are members of hunting and shooting sports clubs may obtain licences for weapons. And even then they may only get a licence for category III weapons (sports weapons). Firearm possession and use by the military and the police is not subject to Arms and Ammunition Act, but regulated separately. Sale/Use is only for those age 18 or over.

Taiwan
Legal private ownership of firearms and ammunition is severely restricted in the Republic of China. Aside from a few individuals licensed decades ago and shooting organizations sanctioned by the government, only Taiwanese aborigines may receive firearm permits. With approval from the government, Taiwanese aborigines may build and possess up to two muzzle-loading black powder rifles per individual, or up to six rifles per household, for hunting and ceremonial purposes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.