Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am goin to be getting the wife a gun for her CHL class and personal defense. She has shot my Glock 19 (did ok??). Any suggestions on what I should get her that will not overwhelm her while providing good stopping power? She has minimal shooting experience (2-3 times). I will have her take a gun safety class and plenty of range time prior to her taking the CHL class. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Might think of a simple revolver like a Charter Arms. They have a sweet little piece made in pink trim and chambered (I think) in .38. If you really want a semi auto look for a 9mm in a smaller framed gun like a Kel Tec. Otherwise the Beretta Tom or Bob Cats are pretty nice too. They are chambered in .22, .25, and, I think, .32 ACP. Sweet little things they are and easy to conceal in a purse. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a tough and personal question HP? My wife started with a Enfield .38. Then I bought her an SP101 Ruger in .32. Then it was a Kel Tec P32 and now it's the HP C9 comp! Your best bet is to find a range that rents guns and do some experimenting with her. Odds are that as she gets into shooting more she'll want bigger and badder guns though. So be prepared! ;-)

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Yep I started my lady out on a .22, then she moved up to a 9x18, then a 9x19, then .45. I think she'd keep going if I had a DE .50, but for now the 1911 suffices. She said she'd be most comfortable with a 9mm for a CCW. It's whatever she's most comfortable with, though it is hard to beat a good 9x19mm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about getting her one of those sub-compact Glock's. The specific model is G26 (9mm). This way we could share ammo, she would have decent knock down power, and 10 rounds to empty at the BG. It is smaller than the G19 she shot, and would fit in her hand better. I know she would eventually graduate to larger calibers, and not sure if I want to buy a 22, then a .380, then a 9mm, then??? Her mom was DEA and her dad US Marshal, so big guns are in her pedigree. Just not sure if I should start big and make her get used to it, or go from small up through the ranks.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Start small and go through the ranks. Two reasons. Let her get comfortable with the calibers. Having parents used to shooting guns doesn't automatically make her used to guns. I know you know that though, lol.

Reason two, and my favorite, is that if done properly you can keep the tweeners. What's a tweener? The guns she used in between the first on and the last one. Encourage her to try as many as possible! Yeah I know she won't fall for it. I bet you knew that too. But it's still worth a try!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
...do some experimenting with her...she'll want bigger and badder...be prepared...
:shock: :oops: :drool: :pray:

+1 On starting small. My wife tried my c9, didn't like it. Tried Dad's .380, didn't like it. Tried my .22, loved it. Now she wants a Taurus P22.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As others know here I have the Phoenix HP22 deluxe range model. I think it's a great gun for the price much like HP's are. But it's also a gun that gets many nay sayers just like the HP's do. :-/

If I were you I would still think about taking her to a range that rents guns and try some out for size. It's a great way to try guns you'll never buy and also a great way to test guns you might buy! ;-) At bare minimum you can have her shoot .22's and .32's and 9mm and so on....

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Gun for wife?
If you want one of my guns for your wife--forget it.

However, if it's the other way around--what you got to trade?

:roll:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Start with a Desert Eagle, and work your way down. "Oh, the .50 AE is a little too much gun, dear? Well, I'll just hang on to it, and let's pick out another one for you. What do you think about this nice .500 S&W Magnum? Oh, and a new, bigger gun safe too..." Eventually, you will find one she likes. :D

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I have a .25 and it's pretty unimpressive. The .22LR has more penetration than the .25 does (from my testing). I think I'd skip .25 and go for a .32. If you have a .32 S&W weapon (Nagant revolver plzkthx) she can try that out. It's still not what I'd consider a carry round, but I'm sure it's going to make somebody hurt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do like the idea of trying out many different guns prior to purchasing. The only problem is...The range that will rent tons of diff guns, cost $14 per hour, and I would like to never spend another dollar there again. They will only allow the shooter, so this would mean that it would cost me $28 per hour, plus the gun rental, plus ammo. Testing out a few diff guns could likely cost me the same price as the gun I would buy her. I am going to contact her mom and see if she is ready to start handing some of her arsenal down to her little girl. :D

Both parents federal agents = huge selection of toys. They have to have something she can handle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That stinks Hipoint. :-/ Are you not near any other ranges? If not I'd look into opening up your own and running them out of buisness within a month! lol If that's what they charge it wouldn't take much to get everyone to leave them and go to a standard public range with reasonable fees!

No matter what you end up doing in the way of a gun for your wife, so long as she has any gun it'll be a good start! ;-) If she just wants to carry a .22 (I know she already said no) don't sweat it and let her carry a .22 and you both can feel much safer! For those who tell you that a .22 is too small... first ask them if they'd like to be a test subject! ;-) Then when they decline (hopefully?) tell them to look up gun shot injuries in major hospitals and see how many of them were from .22's. When they then see that a vast majority of them were from .22's and many resulted in death you can both feel satisfied! ;-) I'm of the opinion that all the nay sayers for smaller calibers are opinions based on nothing but printed stats. Not to mention that 99.99% of us will never even need to pull our guns much less fire them. Do I think my .45 would stop a BG quicker? Sure! Do I think I could stop a crack head with a .22? Absolutely! Shot placement is like real estate.... location, location, location! Couple that with practice, practice, practice and carry, carry, carry and you'll be good to go! ;-) My wife carry's a .32 all day and I never worry one bit! :D

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
i bought my wife a .38 rossi revolver for her first gun but do to "fashion considerations", we also bought a Kel-Tec PF-9 for the majority of her concealed carry times. she is very proficient with both and all of our other guns even the fire breathing M-38's, so it wasn't a concern of it being to much recoil or power for her, she simply wanted something that she was comfortable with and for that reason, she goes to the gun shops with me at every occaision. she's even been know to open carry my XD45 Tactical

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.