Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad finally got his ccw permit.

He has a hi-point 45 and LOVES it, but he has a bad back and complains about the weight (indirectly of course hes to stubborn to admit he needs a lighter gun :p )

I want to get him a gun less then 30 oz.

An EAA witness(26oz), Ruger model 34(29oz),XD45 (at 31oz whats one oz?? :p), taurus model 24/7(27oz)

I know quality is a factor but so is price so,

what do you guys suggest??

what do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
man, guns are really personal things. You know yourself how each one feels different, and with the right holster, you could carry a bazooka.

Maybe same objective, but different question for your dad - "Hey dad, Happy _______, I'm gonna buy you a new gun. Let's go look at a few". This way he gets what's right for him, and get a good holster too. You'd hate to spend $550 on an XD and have it become a safe queen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the last gun show he had looked at all of the listed guns, picked them up and said "thats nice".
Those are just the lighter guns he was looking at. so im trying to figure out what the majority of you guys recommend?

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
One thing you also need to consider is the weight of the loaded magazine, and a bullet in the chamber of the weapon as well. Fully loaded, most smaller guns gain several ounces.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
+1 @ what Newskate9 said.... Take your dad shopping and let him be the judge of what feels right and what he can conceal well based on his body and clothing style.

Just a quick note about the guns you listed... The Taurus 24/7 is the only one on that list I have personal exp with. It is a fantastic pistol and well worth a serious consideration provided your father is comfortable with it in his hand and in a concealed carry type holster on his body.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Walther P99/P22/PPS?
XD Subcompact?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Kahr cw9 7 round mag one in the tube = 22oz. Small enough for pocket, thin enough for iwb. Quality and price about $400.00.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When I first got my CHL, I carried a Firestar m45, 39 oz loaded after a few months it felt like I was carrying a brick on my hip. I developed a limp. So I put my Kel-tec P-11 into service, it fit nicely into my left front pants pocket, I'm left handed. but it printed, and although no one ever called me on it, I did get a few strange looks. It did save my butt from a carjacking once, but the one time I knew trouble was coming I carried my trusty Firestar and a 22 mag derringer. It was the derringer I fired at the badguy and it defused the situation. From then on it was a matter of how I felt , during the day I carried the derringer, at night the P-11.A year ago I bought a NAA 22mag revolver and a suitable pocket holster. It is now my don't leave home without it, gun. It is quite accurate out to 15yds, hitting pie plate size targets with ease.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts