Gun range in front yard in St Pete

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bluharley, Feb 1, 2015.

1. bluharley

bluharley Member

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    "According to St. Petersburg Police, legally he's allowed to do it."

End of story. Tell the neighbors where to go.

3. I need more info. Better pictures.
    What's behind his back stop? It's awfully small to me. Or is that just the target? And there is another bsck stop?
    Still rule number something "be aware of your target and beyond."
    If you want to shoot in your back yard. Pick a house in the woods.
    I shoot in my backyard and so do my neighbors but we shoot into the hill. Not a privacy fence

Edit. Maybe it's just media bias making him seem crazy and he is being responsible.
    Like I said. Give me more info. More pictures.

4. bluharley

bluharley Member

There was a guy recently on the news, in a trailer park, set up a gun range in his driveway. That ones legal too. I think there should be limits. These are close quarters down here, people everywhere, that's why I hate it.

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

The guy's an idiot.
    End of story.

6. 790.33 Field of regulation of firearms and ammunition preempted.—
    (1) PREEMPTION.—Except as expressly provided by the State Constitution or general law, the Legislature hereby declares that it is occupying the whole field of regulation of firearms and ammunition, including the purchase, sale, transfer, taxation, manufacture, ownership, possession, storage, and transportation thereof, to the exclusion of all existing and future county, city, town, or municipal ordinances or any administrative regulations or rules adopted by local or state government relating thereto. Any such existing ordinances, rules, or regulations are hereby declared null and void.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Hysteria apparently from the neighbors. And the article seems to have a certain slant. "Just feet away from children" and "go into my house and hide on the other side." These sort of small backyard gun ranges used to be fairly common. Sounds like a lot of people don't know much about it how guns work. However that's not exactly uncommon. It looks to me like its just a lot of fear mongering.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  8. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Hell, my one neighbor tweaked when I approached him to get permission to set up an archery butt in my garage and shoot down the length of the driveway. He would have had a stroke with this guy as his neighbor.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Surprisingly, no one went spaz when I did the same thing with my air rifle. Of course, I went to great lengths to to let every one know that it was "just a little BB gun" and that I'd be careful not to shoot my eye out.

However, laying there in my driveway (or yard, depending) and putting pellets into a trap certainly got the attention of neighborhood kids, who all wanted to know "is that a real gun?!?!" <sigh> :rolleyes:

Mostly, I stay in my back yard when I can.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

One of my pastimes in the summer months is to sit out in the front yard and shoot grasshoppers with my Steyr LP2. :p

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

And contaminate the entire area with your lead pellets!

Why do you hate Mother Earth?

;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    If the article is true in it's content, then the kid is a moron and so are his parents. It's an accident waiting to happen. Wonder if he knows what a ricochet is. Silly crap like this is what fuels the anti-gun mob.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's pretty simple to construct a backstop which won't ricochet.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. TRWXXA

TRWXXA Member

And if you MISS the backstop?

Even the best designed and constructed backstop doesn't work if the round doesn't hit it.

A while back, a shot accidentally cleared the 20' berm at a law enforcement range near my home. The round went over a half mile of farmland behind the range and hit an isolated house. The bullet still had enough energy to tear open the metal skin of a door. It can happen.

RULE 4: Know your target and what is beyond it.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. This guy is an idiot -- a 21 year old, going on 12. Probably gonna be featured on the "Florida Man" segment of the Dana Loesch show.

BTW: I am sure UPS is thrilled this twit decided to wear his work shirt for the photographs. They have cause. Time to introduce Florida Man to the joys of unemployment.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The movie The Best Years of Our Lives depicts the character Homer shooting a .22 rifle into a loosely packed wood pile in his garage, ims, inside the city ("Boone," which was supposed to be patterned after Cincinnati). The activity is depicted as normal and doesn't raise any alarm. The scene was intended to depict a guy just wanting to be normal, engaging in a normal, mundane, activity but is rendered impossible by children attempting to get a glance of Homer's "hook hands." I can find no indication that the scene raised any particular public outcry when the movie was released.

"How to Shoot" by Alfred Lane, had a prominent drawing and encourages the construction and contains a description of a pistol range set up in the home Cellar. It also encourages joining or creating a Cellar Revolver League.

I used to have a reference to an article or section of a book discussing building a sound-suppressing box for your .38 caliber revolver for use in your basement shooting range, the goal being to not bother the neighbors too much when you're shooting. I can't seem to find it now, but there are lots of similar ideas floating 'round google.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. so your saying, "nothing to see here, people used to do this all the time?"

IM not saying the guy is wrong, without seeing better pictures of his back stop, if the police cant cite "endangering others" or some sort then it must be all right.
    But i tell you, I live in the woods, I shoot in my back yard, My neighbors do too. I am as pro gun as you can probably get. But if my neighbor built a "back stop" that was facing my house, or yard i would have a problem with that.
    Our hobby may have an inherent danger we have to accept, some ricochet, some ND, some bad ammo, But i think we should take the time to control what we can, and having a safe place to shoot is one of those.

How will he tell nothing will go through his "Back stop" test it?

So it works today with his 9mm, tomorrow when he comes home with a 5.56 is he going to ask his neighbor if the round came through? 5,000 9mm rounds later of shooting the same spot one pokes through?

UGH, that came off as being entirely against it. like i said, im for it, as long as there isn't a yard or house on the other side of his back stop.

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Pretty much, yeah.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Attached Files:

18. I highly doubt that a 9mm will pass through 3 feet or more of sand, he uses pallets. Even a rifle round would not get through that. As long as he uses caution to hit the center of the stop I see no danger.

19. bluharley

bluharley Member

He's in St Pete, FLORIDA! Of course there is something behind that backstop. This is a crowded space, not much open space left in St Pete. I'm all for guns and shooting, like you, but this guy is off.

20. Any indoor gun ranges in populated Florida?

If he put up a piece of 2X4 I could see the concern, but it appears nobody has been injured or there has been no property damage. And he built a backstop that can easily stop a 9mm.