Gun safe

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by GunControlIsGood, Jul 2, 2014.

1. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

Hoping to find a decent gun safe for reasonable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Depending on your circumstances, you could opt for a gun cabinet like the Stack-On models. I have two 14 gun models with three of the pistol cabinets. IIRC, the rifle cabinets were under $100 on sale.

They aren't fire-proof at all, and a guy with a crowbar and/or a cordless drill could be in it in 15 minutes or less, but it keeps the kids safe.

For an actual "safe" you'll be spending more. Walmart has some for around $400, which is as cheap as I've seen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

You know, this weekend I was looking for a new safe or cabinet myself. I was looking at the Stack-On units and the women looked at me and said, "screw that, it looks cheap, and its not big enough. Why not look at the Field and Stream 48+8? That way once you fill it, you have to sell one to make room for a new one. "

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Rach, you know you got a keeper there, don't you.;)

Liberty safes are made in Utah, most folks here like them a lot.

And they have a TON of models.

http://www.libertysafe.com/

5. I believe mine is a liberty branded by Cabelas, 24 gun, was about $1000, worthwhile lifetime investment.

6. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Check Sams and Costco, also TSC for decent priced safes. I have a Winchester I got from Sams on clearance for $381, it is a 24 gun and has been great. Also got a smaller 18 gun at TSC that we use for jewelry and paperwork, it was right around $400.

[​IMG]

7. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

My only regret in buying a safe is that I didn't get a bigger one. Thought I was saving money by getting a smaller safe. Just try to get an idea of how many guns you plan to own at any given time then add about an extra 10 gun capacity. The larger safe will cost you more initially, but it beats buying something too small then having to sell at a loss to upgrade. Even if you don't fill it with guns the extra capacity will be great for ammo/accessory storage. My safe is currently full and has been for several years. Now I have both guns and ammo stored other places in the house.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I can't buy a safe that big.:(

9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

10. GunControlIsGood

GunControlIsGood Member

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get a big ass safe I was only gonna get a small one but I might as well get a bolt down one.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  12. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Well, if the house catches fire, you might not have to worry about the garage. And if you're keeping just one gun out for quick access, they'll waste time searching the house for the safe instead of the garage. And if you can't fill one up with guns, think of the other valuables you could put in there until you do. Also, at over 1600 pounds, would you really want the added expense of having to reinforce the floor where it'll sit? At that weight, if someone can actually manage to get the safe out of the garage, have at it.

I don't have a garage, just a shed that sits near the house, but I wouldn't put a safe in there. If, by some miracle, I could find a safe that was big enough to house a good deal of guns AND fit inside my doors, I'd probably just cut a hole slightly larger than the safe in my floor, take some plywood and put it all the way to the dirt in the crawl space under the house, then fill that space with re-bar concrete with bolts sticking out of the concrete to attach the safe to. After that, some locktite on the bolts and nuts to hold everything in place
    Realistically, I might just convert a closet into a gun safe

13. Grumpy553

Grumpy553 Member

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    About 5 years, for me.:cool:
    And lots of fun, once if got going.

I had two, inherited 3 when my Dad passed away. That was October 2008. I passed 100 last year.

The trick is, stick to cheap guns like HP's, old .22's, and the low cost milsurps.:D

15. Back2School

Back2School Member

Well these are harder to get into than you think :)

I just got back from being a way a few days and decided I wanted to clean my pistols. SO I go to open my stackon (the one with riflrs on one side and shelves on the other) and the key isnt working. Now I have had some issue with the lock since I got it (its not even a year old) so I decided to try the other key. Guess I twisted too hard so the key broke off in the lock.

I read how easy it is to drill through the lock on these. Yeah not so easy - or my old tools (which I dont use much anymore) suck that bad. I got frustrated. Grabbed my pry bar and went to town. 15 minutes, a few dents and busted metal pieces later and I am in my cabinet.

HMM not sure if I am going to replace the lock. I have none under 18 at the house and anyone going to it (its in my bedroom) would have to go through me...

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Looks like it's exactly as hard as I thought. I called it at 15 minutes!:)

But I'm with you on the replacement.

You could just put a hasp and padlock on it, it would be less secure that it was, but still "secured". Sort of.:p

17. miamigunsinc

miamigunsinc Member

nice sharing guns image, thanks.

18. Fishy1

Fishy1 Member

Your basement looks like mine Ajole. My first line of defense is have them stumbling and tripping on s**t all the way to the safe..forget about hauling it out.
    Here is what I did with a Stack On 10 Gun Safe I picked up from Farm & Fleet. $293 out the door. This is not the cabinet version it is the Security Safe w/ Combination lock.
    I use this for my shorter guns, but even with the shelves I can fit longer rifles on the side holders. I have ZERO complaints with this little unit. Just need to fill it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  19. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I need more guns, then I'll need a bigger safe........ Then more guns.... Etc, etc....

20. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

you've posted some odd responses in several threads. Is English your first language? Because it doesn't look like it.