Gun Smithing vs Gun cleaning

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Rick3bears, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Rick3bears

Rick3bears Member

If you had a business and all you did was professional gun cleaning, is that considered gunsmithing?

2. Stratojaxter

Stratojaxter Lifetime Supporter

Nope. Would you call the kid washing your car a mechanic?

3. Rick3bears

Rick3bears Member

Gun cleaning

Hahaha I deserved that! It's just that I live in prince George's county MD and the business rules here are archaic.

4. Stratojaxter

Stratojaxter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, MD is crazy. It's not just Prince George's county I grew up in Baltimore City and have family all over the state. It's all nuts. Good luck bro.

5. ATF considers that an activity proper to a Gunsmith. You need at least an 01FFL to make money doing it. If there is no profit motive, clean away. Also "occasional" jobs are exempted from the license requirement, so doing a couple a month for friends is probably OK. Also, if the owner is standing there when ya do it, most agents interpret that as exempting you also as you are not retaining custody of the gun overnight, something that requires records be kept by an FFL.

6. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If the owner of the firearm is present at all times when you are cleaning it you should be okay. If they are not, then you are considered to have taken possession/transfer of it and will need an FFL. The BATFE has a lot of grey areas that they kind of enforce on the whim of the day, this is one of them. ;)

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If it is FTF transfer, you don't need an FFL...right?

I do agree, there are some serious gray areas there.

8. I'd call the ATF & ask.

9. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If it is a sale then you don't need an FFL.... but even that can go into a gray area as the BATFE never defines how many you can sell before they can say you are making a business of selling firearms. This is how some C&R's get in trouble. They buy up C&R's and then sell them at a profit. The BATFE says you can do this as long as you are not making it a business or making income and are doing it to further your collection. They don't give a limit like 5-10-25-50 per year etc.; not sure if they did this intentional or not. ;)