Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
"Experts fret over ‘chilling’ effect on political discourse following Ariz. event"

what experts? like anyone is an 'expert' in this area. "oh hai, i'm a guns at presidential appearances in open carry states expert, and i haz ur answrs!"

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
"Last week, during Obama's health care town hall in New Hampshire, a man carrying a sign reading "It is time to water the tree of liberty" stood outside with a pistol strapped to his leg."

ballsy, and probably a little stupid. but definitely ballsy

"It actually becomes quite scary for many people. It creates a chilling effect in the ability of our society to carry on honest communication."

i don't know, i always thought people could get real honest while staring down the barrel of a gun....

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
"Experts fret over 'chilling' effect on political discourse following Ariz. event"

what experts? like anyone is an 'expert' in this area. "oh hai, i'm a guns at presidential appearances in open carry states expert, and i haz ur answrs!"
The ONLY experts heve spoken the SS have NO problem with em why should the moonbats have a problem with em

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
My only question is why? I appreciate its an open carry state and its thier right to do so, but IMO you are fanning the flames of the greater issue of gun control. When the current administration seems to be backing off the gun issue why would you do something like this to stir it up again? If it were a speech on guns and gun control I would understand that, but for healthcare it makes no sense to me.

Now the lib media has the "right wing gun nuts" ready to attack the prez..... just the kind of attention we don't want.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's totally legal to go kick a bear in the nuts too.

I don't see them tripping over themselves to do that.

I applaud their gumption to do such a thing. But you can't complain when anti-gun nuts get freaked out by it. On a normal day, that guy probably doesn't open carry anywhere else. So he was in fact making a scene for his own purposes. The important thing is that his rights didn't trampled and he didn't freak out and start threatening people.

I wouldn't do it. I just don't feel that "lucky". But if more people do it and nothing bad happens during the actual events, it has more potential to do good for 2A stand than harm.

My problem is that I can't always engage the "brain to mouth" filter in time to stop from getting in trouble. So me open carrying in a situation with much greater potential for LEO interactions than hunting, fishing, or walking the dog, is just a recipe for an angry cop and jailed butterbone.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
A lot of people are sick and damned tired of being afraid of their own shadow, hats off to the guy. The SS isnt concerned about the gun they can see, its the one they miss that give them problems.

May as well get ready that gun control fight is coming if only in the form of that damned treaty. OC or not wont matter.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My only question is why? I appreciate its an open carry state and its thier right to do so, but IMO you are fanning the flames of the greater issue of gun control. When the current administration seems to be backing off the gun issue why would you do something like this to stir it up again? If it were a speech on guns and gun control I would understand that, but for healthcare it makes no sense to me.

Now the lib media has the "right wing gun nuts" ready to attack the prez..... just the kind of attention we don't want.
My honest opinion is that the "right" is willing to sacrifice the 2A as a way of getting conservatives to unite during either the next congressional or presidential election.

All they have to do is keep pushing "patriotic" American conservatives into doing silly things like this and the gun control will follow.

The Democrats have backed off firearms for the most part. There are more than a few 2A Democrats surprisingly.

At this point gun control is the only wedge the Republican party has to really wiggle with. The health care issue is just the vehicle they will use to push gun control cause they are pushing it in such a way that pundits and commentators are denouncing violence that didn't happen, making these health care town halls sound dangerous. When nothing really happened.

Yes there is a current plot to get larger more expansive and more intrusive gun control laws enacted. It's a fact.
The surprising part is that it is being orchestrated by Republicans and Neoconservatives.

And the liberals are more than willing to do it once they have the proper public justification.

·
Registered
506 Posts

You said it yourself. The current admin is backing down, so that's the time to push the defenses.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
More power to them. they were obeying the law and putting out a message at the same time. to those who denouce it, ill say this: time to nut up, or shut up.

SW
You expressed it perfectly.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
"Last week, during Obama's health care town hall in New Hampshire, a man carrying a sign reading "It is time to water the tree of liberty" stood outside with a pistol strapped to his leg."

ballsy, and probably a little stupid. but definitely ballsy
This is the one I had the problem with ,while this sentiment is understood its not good to be carrying a sign with a quote that ends "with the blood of patriots and tyrants" at a Presidential event while carrying that does tend to send a message. You want to carry the sign and make that point? fine. You want to open carry and make that point? fine. The 2 together were a wee bit over the top given the event. Thats my opinion and while I agree with you on a lot of things SW if I would happen to denounce what someone did or disagree I would keep speaking my opinion and not "shut up" Isn't that the whole point of all this? Our rights?

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the point i was attempting to make is that its all fine and good to post about your beliefs on the internet. these are actually going out and DOING WHAT THEY SAY, hence "nut up, or shut up". its time to start acting on what you say or be quiet. words arent enough anymore. freedom of speech means nothing if you wont back it up 100%. these guys are.

SW

1 - 20 of 51 Posts