Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
2921 - 2940 of 2946 Posts

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
86 Posts
You're right, I did mead when. It's been like a decade since I saw them at that price at Southern Ohio Gun.

·
Administrator
24,775 Posts
May be blasphemous on a Hi-Point forum, but I can't get a Ruger Super Redhawk out of my mind.
Try being the Admin when the members find out you like your Glock better than the HP pistols you refuse to own...

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
Try being the Admin when the members find out you like your Glock better than the HP pistols you refuse to own...
I bought a HiPoint 45 pistol awhile back and I gave it away for free just to get rid of it. The HiPoint carbines are fine, but their pistols are only suited for "something is better then nothing".

my .02

·
Registered
Anything but GLOCKS
86 Posts
If you get any more pistols you want to give away let me know. I'm such a nice guy I'll even pay shipping :) Maybe even take a puppy if they're all that combat ready.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
Been thinking about the new Taurus Gx4. Do I need another sub 9mm? No... but I do like it. The styling is really sharp. Has anyone bought one? Interested in your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
35,977 Posts
Been thinking about the new Taurus Gx4. Do I need another sub 9mm? No... but I do like it. The styling is really sharp. Has anyone bought one? Interested in your thoughts.
Triggers are nice. Price is decent.

·
Premium Member
9,404 Posts
Don’t think you will regret it. I like my GX4.

The Micro 9 is one I did not have. I compared the GX4 with others in its class, namely the Shield Plus, Max9, G43, and 365. I wanted to like the Ruger, but I just could not. The Sig I knew going in that i did not like the grip and I still don’t. Just too small. The GLOCK and S&W vied for top spot, and in the end the S&W won out if for no other reason than the trigger. But the GX4 just intrigued me. So much that I went back and bought it too. Make no mistake, I like the Shield Plus and am in no way dissatisfied with my purchase. I have always thought that the KAHR was the perfect semi auto for social work. Still do. But I always rated the Shield as just a quarter step behind.

So what did I like about the GX4 that made me go back and buy it?
  1. It’s smaller than the shield
  2. It fits my hand well, especially with the large back strap installed.
  3. 2 11 round flush fit magazines
  4. Stainless steel chassis
  5. Taurus fixed their gawd-awful trigger.

So why did I not buy it in the first place?
  1. While Taurus fixed the trigger, it’s still around 6 pounds
  2. i hated the sights
The trigger is really pretty good. Second to the Shield. Flat faced, which I have come to like. Minimum take-up and barely perceptible creep. Crisp but somewhat heavy break and a quick reset. if the trigger was a pound or so lighter, it would be almost exactly like the Shield trigger.

The slide rides on 2 full length stainless steel guide rods. Not just a quartet of tabs.

The takedown is very easy. Requires a tool to unlock the slide, but that tool is as simple as the rim of a 9mm cartridge. Plus there are no tiny takedown pins to lose.

The sights are a tiny white dot front with a blacked out rear. Hard for my tired old eyes to see. I replaced the front sight with an Ameriglo front sight. The sights are now perfect!

I liked that the pistol came with 2 flush fit magazines. I was interested in easily concealable. Still, I did purchase a 13 round magazine along with a holster when I bought the night sight.

I have only fired some 200 rounds through the pistol, but they have been flawless. 50mrounds of 115 grain Blazer aluminum case that came with the pistol. 20 rounds of 135 grain hollow points, And 200 rounds of my 125 grain cast truncated cone reloads (some of those went through my Bond Arms derringer). The GX4 has run flawlessly and accuracy is very acceptable out to 15 yards, which is as far as I have shot it so far.

Cost including the Ameriglo sight was $406. The extra mag and holster cost me another $100. Very happy with it!

Reactions: Rerun and Dagwood

·
Premium Member
21,390 Posts
Was at LGS today. No Taurus. M&P+ was there $589. There was Sig 365's. Tried the $898 model with the flat trigger and dot sight. Gritty trigger and it would take a while to work with the dot sight. I think I will assemble my 43X and work it.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Went with my shooting buddy to one of the LGS yesterday to check out their inventory of guns and ammo. This was where I bought my Taurus 856 Defender last week, he had never been.

I didn't get anything buy he bought some ammo.

After we ate lunch we got in the car I realized there was an old building around the corner that I always considered a museum of sorts, place called Southern Gun Works. Hadn't been in there in 20 years I bet. We went in and there was all kinds of guns for sale, plus stuff from the civil war up to the present. They don't have a website but they are on Facebook, here's some of their photos:

The prices were pretty decent. They had a number of Mausers, Arisakas, Carcanos, Garands, etc, plus newer guns. The counter guy said what's in the shop was only a small portion of what they have. Also sell ammo but I forgot to ask about 6.5 Jap :rolleyes: so I'll have to go back I guess :love:

·
Premium Member
6,866 Posts
Went with my shooting buddy to one of the LGS yesterday to check out their inventory of guns and ammo. This was where I bought my Taurus 856 Defender last week, he had never been.

I didn't get anything buy he bought some ammo.

After we ate lunch we got in the car I realized there was an old building around the corner that I always considered a museum of sorts, place called Southern Gun Works. Hadn't been in there in 20 years I bet. We went in and there was all kinds of guns for sale, plus stuff from the civil was up to the present. They don't have a website but they are on Facebook, here's some of their photos:

The prices were pretty decent. They had a number of Mausers, Arisakas, Carcanos, Garands, etc, plus newer guns. The counter guy said what's in the shop was only a small portion of what they have. Also sell ammo but I forgot to ask about 6.5 Jap :rolleyes: so I'll have to go back I guess :love:
Now that looks like a neat place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last month I bought a Canik TP9SFx from a local FFL who just buys and sells a few firearms per month. While waiting on the background check to come back, we discussed that I am a web developer and that he might be looking to have some work done soon. He contacted me yesterday wanting a site built. The kind of work he wants done I typically charge around $1,000 to do, but he's offering me an even trade of a new Extar EP9 with case....nowhere nearly as much value, but a gun I'd love to own just the same.

Yea or nay?

·
Premium Member
35,977 Posts
Last month I bought a Canik TP9SFx from a local FFL who just buys and sells a few firearms per month. While waiting on the background check to come back, we discussed that I am a web developer and that he might be looking to have some work done soon. He contacted me yesterday wanting a site built. The kind of work he wants done I typically charge around $1,000 to do, but he's offering me an even trade of a new Extar EP9 with case....nowhere nearly as much value, but a gun I'd love to own just the same.

Yea or nay?
A few spare mags and a few boxes of ammo, and maybe it’s a deal.

·
Premium Member
2,675 Posts
I've been thinking about the EAA Tanfoglio Witness P 10mm. The witness fits my hand like a glove. I've had several in 9mm including the SAR B6p's which are identical, just made in Turkeye. The best CZ clones on the market imho. I dig the Hunter, but have no practical need for one.
10mm has become my caliber of choice. Never cared for .40, but 10mm... I dig it.

·
Administrator
24,775 Posts
Something in a .410 since i found a few boxes of it while cleaning out the property next door. Also has some .38sp and .357mag so I suppose I'll need something for those too.

Supposedly, there's a full RCBS casting and reloading setup in the attic...

Guess where I'm working tomorrow...

2921 - 2940 of 2946 Posts