Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
3081 - 3100 of 3129 Posts

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,081 · (Edited)
It's not quite as light as the old Cav Arms Mk 2, but not a bad place to start to build a lightweight AR. The WWSD rifles w/ pencil bbls & carbon fiber forends are just over 5 lbs before optics. I need to order a couple of featherweight bbls for my son & I.
Found them for $98 from Tacticalshit.com lol

Should prolly order one and see how I like it.

Also, for pencils I have use BCA - they have a pencil barrel I really like at a decent price, like $90.00

@cicpup PA = Primary Arms.

I found the Anderson complete lower for $149.00 free shipping and no tax (see link).

I know PSA charges me tax, didnt check if their lower was free shipping or not.

But yeah Anderson lowers are a very good receiver in my opinion. Never had an issue with them.

·
Premium Member
Everything
3,210 Posts
I'd have to crack open my FFL manual, but I know @ the last gunshop I worked at, they wouldn't take in completed 80% lowers from customers for Cerakoting work unless a SN was engraved. I don't know if that's an actual ATF rule or a condition their local inspector imposed on em. Well aware of the pre-68 guns, I have a Mexican made Mendoza .22 LR w/ no SN.
I've got a Winchester model 37 in .410 with no sn. I just saw one in 12 Guage at my lgs for a decent price and I was tempted to buy it just because, but I ended up passing. There isn't much special about the model 37 and I don't see myself spending much time shooting a single shot 12 Guage.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
I've got a Winchester model 37 in .410 with no sn. I just saw one in 12 Guage at my lgs for a decent price and I was tempted to buy it just because, but I ended up passing. There isn't much special about the model 37 and I don't see myself spending much time shooting a single shot 12 Guage.
The first long gun my brother ever owned was an H&R 12 ga 3" single shot, b/c it was cheap, so I bought it & gave it him. Not knowing much about shotguns at the time, he thought he was supposed to only use 3" shells in it. As a result, he's damn near impervious to recoil.

·
Premium Member
36,642 Posts
Full blown, stripped & made of metal.

I've got a PSA I've been happy with. How are Andersons comparatively? And which place is PA?
PA is Primary Arms.
Some PSA Uppers are made by Aero. No idea about the lowers.

I don’t know how any of them compare.
IMHO, the real difference you pay for will be finishes, certain cosmetic things, and possibly testing/quality control….which may or may not make a difference in a lower. It’s not like a bolt with MPI and HPT control.
I have A DPMS lower, two KE Arms, one Tennessee Polymer 9 mm, and all the rest are Anderson.

But I have a few different uppers.
Aero
BCA side charge
Anderson
Cerro Forge
Performance Forge
Daytona Tactical/Anderson
Aero/PSA
DPMS
Bushmaster
Noreen

·
Super Moderator
25,798 Posts
I have a Core15 lower. They usually run about $110 stripped. Made in house in Ocala, FL.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
22,015 Posts
I was looking at shotties. Maverick 88 in a greyish color with an 18.5" barrel. They showed me a Charles Daily(?) semi-auto for $228. I'm leary of anything semi-auto that cheap. Plus getting the right shells to run it.

I think I will hold out for a 20" Mossberg.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
36,642 Posts
I was looking at shotties. Maverick 88 in a greyish color with an 18.5" barrel. They showed me a Charles Daily(?) semi-auto for $228. I'm leary of anything semi-auto that cheap. Plus getting the right shells to run it.

I think I will hold out for a 20" Mossberg.
I have the 20.5” Maverick. They call it the Security 8, with the long tube it’s 7+1. I like the safety, as I put an ATI stock on the gun that makes it logical.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
Thinking about the Heritage Rough Rider with the 16" barrel.
View attachment 75551
Be interested to see what velocity you'd get out of 30 grn .22 WMR w/ that. One particular delight of mine in our 2nd Amendment is we have such a robust gun market a maker can make a profit on guns that are clearly silly and only bought for the hell of it. A European that is restricted to a certain # of guns, and has to wait weeks for a police permit to buy such a thing would never touch it.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,659 Posts
The list is long and the money is short
EXACTLY my predicament. But then again I have too many guns, and can Prove It!
Be interested to see what velocity you'd get out of 30 grn .22 WMR w/ that. One particular delight of mine in our 2nd Amendment is we have such a robust gun market a maker can make a profit on guns that are clearly silly and only bought for the hell of it. A European that is restricted to a certain # of guns, and has to wait weeks for a police permit to buy such a thing would never touch it.
But they still drool over many of these selections ;)

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,659 Posts
How can one have to many?
Well, considering the ratio of "ones I have shot" to "ones I have not shot" and "n.i.b. never shot"?
It's an arguable point I suppose ;)
I really don't think I have "too many" and the BUNNY has never actually said that, but it's still debatable I suppose :rotfl:

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,097 ·
My problem is they always come out with something else I want... I'm always done until I read my emails... I should unsubscribe...

·
Premium Member
Everything
3,210 Posts
My problem is they always come out with something else I want... I'm always done until I read my emails... I should unsubscribe...
I do that at the lgs. Go there with certain things on my ongoing mental list, leave with something completely off my radar that I never knew I always wanted. Most of those end up being my favorites!

·
Premium Member
36,642 Posts
My grandson came up today with a .243 Ruger American, 16 barrel. His other grandpa had given him the gun and some home loaded 87 grain bullets with 42.5 grains of H4350.
Sun was going down, and the fireball was impressive. And we got nothing on target at 100 yards. Not sure the scope was zeroed…

But the gun was very nice shooting. I think I’m going to see if I can steal a 6.5 CM version of that gun at one of the stores, since they can’t give them away, much less sell them in that cartridge.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
I was looking at 6mm ARC uppers today. It's based on the 6.5 grendel but with better ballistics for longer range out to 1000yds. I'm already invested in the 6.5 grendel and it is more readily available, so I probably won't be switching anytime soon. It's just nice to see so many options for the AR15 platform without having to move up to the heavier AR10.

3081 - 3100 of 3129 Posts