Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
3121 - 3129 of 3129 Posts

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
20,905 Posts
I have a "barrel burner" myself and have a problem with trying to "tame the burn." First, that usually means backing the velocity off buy using less power. I have what I have for varmints out to 400 yards, so cutting velocity makes no sense. If I wanted a .223, I'd have bought a .223, not turned my rifle into one. Second, Mole, how many rounds do you expect to shoot through the gun?Mine will, supposedly, eat the barrel in 4 to 5000 rounds. If I hunted prairie dogs, with hundreds of shots a day, that might mean something. I hunt ground swine and whitetail. In a good summer, maybe 250 shots max, including sighters. Buy the time I've "shot out" my barrel I'll be ready to quit hunting. So... either live with the possibility of having to change barrels once or twice or buy a caliber said to be easier on barrels - lots of choices out there. But don't buy a 10mm intending to turn it into a 40. That's my 0.02. Live long and prosper
Exactly
You buy a particular caliber for a reason. It burns barrels cause its designed to scream down that barrel. Usually most shooters will never notice it even because they are not using that rifle for competition shooting. It a hunting gun or defensive weapon.

·
Premium Member
36,642 Posts
I'm kinda thinking about another AR. I don't need it, but I kinda want it.
I want an AR Pistol in 5.56 (I already have a 5.56 carbine)
I want a AR10 in .308
I want an AR15 in 6.5 Creedmore, just because I do, not because I think I could be good at long range.

I also want a .30SC chambered pistol.

I also want a .22TCM, just because.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
What length on the 5.56 pistol? I have 10” and 14.5”, the 14.5 is silly. I think shorter than 10 is also silly…but it could serve a purpose.

So…personally, I would suggest 6.5 G in an AR15. I have the 6.5 CM in my AR10, and realistically, I think that bullet would be better served by a bolt gun. Good news out here…6.5 CM bolt guns are everywhere, and they can’t sell them, as there is no ammo.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,659 Posts
I have a "barrel burner" myself and have a problem with trying to "tame the burn." First, that usually means backing the velocity off buy using less power. I have what I have for varmints out to 400 yards, so cutting velocity makes no sense. If I wanted a .223, I'd have bought a .223, not turned my rifle into one. Second, Mole, how many rounds do you expect to shoot through the gun?Mine will, supposedly, eat the barrel in 4 to 5000 rounds. If I hunted prairie dogs, with hundreds of shots a day, that might mean something. I hunt ground swine and whitetail. In a good summer, maybe 250 shots max, including sighters. Buy the time I've "shot out" my barrel I'll be ready to quit hunting. So... either live with the possibility of having to change barrels once or twice or buy a caliber said to be easier on barrels - lots of choices out there. But don't buy a 10mm intending to turn it into a 40. That's my 0.02. Live long and prosper
THIS, 👆👆👆 This is a beautiful post... 💖 I was going to add a little bit to mine but it was not going to be nearly as eloquent as THIS!

Very well said, and I "think" maybe someone such as the "regular guys" as us HPFF Faithful could maybe learn the gun (AR10)
on the 762 caliber and then get a nice BDC scope on there and shoot the 6.5CM fairly accurately without burning a barrel too fast.
As a Simple Mole, I think I'd be fine with a .308 AR10, (7.62x51) but keep that 6.5CM option as a backup. Maybe never do it, but
it's always a possibility.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,124 ·
What length on the 5.56 pistol? I have 10” and 14.5”, the 14.5 is silly. I think shorter than 10 is also silly…but it could serve a purpose.
Only reason I could see under 10" (which I have a 7.5") is for a suppressor. The 223 suppressor I have is 7" or 9" depending on tube extension. Sooo I wanted to keep it 16" ish. I also have a 10" and 12.5" upper.

·
Administrator
29,122 Posts
Exactly
You buy a particular caliber for a reason. It burns barrels cause its designed to scream down that barrel. Usually most shooters will never notice it even because they are not using that rifle for competition shooting. It a hunting gun or defensive weapon.
I wouldn't notice it because I probably wouldn't shoot it enough to get that far. I just want it because, well, no good reason, I just want it. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
29,122 Posts
Probably 9-12" as an in-home firearm. I already have a 300BLK AR for that, which I like a lot, but I keep thinking that the 5.56 might be better suited for in-home because of (lack of) barrier penetration advantages the 5.56 has.

So…personally, I would suggest 6.5 G in an AR15. I have the 6.5 CM in my AR10, and realistically, I think that bullet would be better served by a bolt gun. Good news out here…6.5 CM bolt guns are everywhere, and they can’t sell them, as there is no ammo.
I don't honestly have a "use case" for either the Grendel or the Creedmoor. I just think they're neat.

I also kinda want a 1911 rated for +P so I can do a spring change and shoot 450 SMC. Again, just because. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
36,642 Posts
THIS, 👆👆👆 This is a beautiful post... 💖 I was going to add a little bit to mine but it was not going to be nearly as eloquent as THIS!

Very well said, and I "think" maybe someone such as the "regular guys" as us HPFF Faithful could maybe learn the gun (AR10)
on the 762 caliber and then get a nice BDC scope on there and shoot the 6.5CM fairly accurately without burning a barrel too fast.
As a Simple Mole, I think I'd be fine with a .308 AR10, (7.62x51) but keep that 6.5CM option as a backup. Maybe never do it, but
it's always a possibility.
Do it!

I have the 16” DPMS Oracle in .308, which now has an A2 butt stock and Magpul forend, I’m in the process of putting a LPVO on it. The 6.5 CM upper has the BDC scope with more magnification and a bipod.
6.5 CM isn’t cheap ammo. If you were shooting enough to burn up a barrel, replacing that barrel, especially on an AR, would be a meaninglessly low cost part of the equation.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Registered
Anything
44 Posts
Alright so as this is sort of a wish list.
So I think I need the following.
Granpower p40l 10mm
Sig 320 10mm.
Psa Chinese ak spiker.
Psa 556 ak.
S&w m500.
Tarass 327 revolver 3" if they ever make any.

😁

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,129 ·
Reactions: moona11
3121 - 3129 of 3129 Posts