Gunsmith recommendation!!

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by Visper, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

OK, so here is the situation I am in. I have a Bulgarian AK (shhh) It's an ISD imported by Armory USA. Yeah i know at the time I couldn't afford an Arsenal. Anyway, these were built from "factory seconds" but it has been nothing but great and one of the smoothest actions I own on that platform.

So I am looking to get it Cerakote and wanted to get a side rail installed. The finish is eh and I hate the plastic USA furniture. I picked up some US wood furniture but then I lose the rail for the red dot on the handguard/gas tube... I don't mind gunsmithing and tend not to shy away, but I really do not have the tools to add the side rail. I could also just rattle can it but since it has been so good for awhile I wanted to give it a proper paintjob.

Here is the problem, I have called or emailed every Gunsmith in my AO and none of them will touch an AK... I was like are you kidding... your a Gunsmith by trade... So I am looking for a Gunsmith that someone hopefully on here can recommend and knows. I could just find someone on the files but I don't know any of them like I know you guys!!! So if I am going to ship it I want it to be to a trustworthy individual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jeff at J&N has done some work for me in the past and has been great. Dunno if he does AKs but I'll bet he does. The downside is you'd have to ship it to him. @JandN

Visper likes this.

3. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Use Duracoat and refinish it yourself. Duracoat is available in a rattle can and does not require anything special to use. I use Duracoat to do anything of mine that needs to be refinished. It's strong and durable, and available in different colors.

moona11 likes this.
  4. I would find you some good rattle can colors and play around till you find something you like. I rattle canned my handguard and it turned out great and is holding up nice. You will pay quite a bit for a finish that will still get beat or scratches up vs doing it yourself and recoating when needed.

5. Visper

Was thinking about that - from Brownells. But I need the side rail installed also before I can even paint...

moona11 likes this.
  6. Visper

Is he on here then I assume with the @ - I don't mind the shipping as long as its all done correctly.

7. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Yep, he is a member. Send him a PM and ask him.

Visper likes this.
  8. He is a member, but I haven't seen him of late. I'll PM you with contact info.

Visper likes this.
  9. retread

retread Member

have you looked at the rails that go where the rear sight is. fairly easy to pop the sight off and pop the rail in its place and snug it down. their big enough for most red dots.

10. Visper

@retread Yeah thought about it but going for the classic look on it with wood etc. It is already tacticooled with Gas tube rail. It was like that when I bought it and always planned on restoring it to the classic look!!!

retread likes this.
  11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Honestly I don't know why you just don't do it? Its easy add the rail mount. Lots of how to's. And the finish is easy to do also.
    Its a AK not a masterpiece. Have fun with it.

FlashBang likes this.
  12. Visper

@moona11 Well I can get a side rail the basically "bolts" on like the master mount. I don't even mind drilling the holes for it if I get a standard one. I guess my issue is rivets. I have nothing to do the rivets with... It is kinda a "Franken-Bulgy" so maybe the Master mount at Primary arms will serve its purpose.

Then i could just get some of that brownells cerakote in a can stuff!!!

Eh, maybe your right, I do like to tinker...

moona11 likes this.
  13. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Don't even bother with rivets. Most people that say they can do them can't.

I can and I'm not the greatest. I have the tools for Remington guns. To do it by hand and a small electric hammer. But its not the same.

Visper likes this.
  14. Visper

Ordered a Master Mount. Gonna go check out Brownells. I know they were sold out of black last I checked.

OldOutlaw and moona11 like this.
  15. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I can rivet. I went to school for my A&P, but never finished the powerplant side.

16. OldOutlaw

Post some pics when you get stuff in. Kinda a before and after.

17. Visper

I sure will. Thanks for your input guys.

AKOperators union carries the master mount, so if Robski approves I guess its all good!!!

18. Visper

Suuure now you tell me after I order a Master mount!!! Just kidding Rach, least this way I don't have to drill the receiver.

19. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Well there was the matter of the per diem.

20. OldOutlaw

Looking forward to them.