Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to buy a "press" for Heavy Duty Ops ONLY. Like swaging and resizing. Possibly case forming as well, but mainly I want one super strong press for the toughest tasks one might encounter in our shooting hobby!

I've read about the (Forstner?) Co-Ax a while back, but now I'm seeing lots of stuff about Corbin but mainly because they have paid off googiots for higher billing in the ad circus... along with the usual suspects, the big names. I'd like this to handle taller rounds.

I would not even rule out an electric over hydraulic system, since I'm not looking to do normal reloads with it.

I figured I'd ax the pros here, too big of a knowledgeable crowd to ignore

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like the Corbin stuff is legit, super heavy duty but I suspect there is a whole range of higher end regular reloading stuff which MIGHT be suitable. But I am hoping to make some super heavy custom subsonic bullets that will require lots of pressure and force to form. Think 300gr 45acp stuff, or maybe I will delve into the 50 GI range. Sonny Boi has a very expensive can which will work with some hairy subs loadings

·
Super Moderator
5,307 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is greg's territory more than mine. Sorry, mole
The Corbin stuff is quite sturdy, but expensive. Adaptable to standard die sizes, but also works up to 1" caliber in some models WOWZERS

One could swage shotty slugs, if you want to be a budding Taofladermaus

I'd like that capability. But if they made the smaller one handle 50 cal, I'd be happy. It says .458 is the caliber limit.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
Corbin quite literally wrote the book on bullet swaging, and builds the presses to match. If you get serious about swaging, you can destroy an ordinary press in short order.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Corbin quite literally wrote the book on bullet swaging, and builds the presses to match. If you get serious about swaging, you can destroy an ordinary press in short order.
That's what I thought...

My only problem is, buy the .458 size or the 1" caliber size. Buy once, cry once is usually the best bet, but if I never do anything in 50 cal or yuge shotgun slugs, I will not need the bigger press. But in addition to being able to do the yuge stuff, it should last forever on the 45cal and smaller. It takes approximately 5 times the force to swage a 1" caliber "bullet" as compared to a .45 cal.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
I think by the time you wear out a proper bullet swaging press, you will have well gotten your money out of it. You're not generally going to swage jacketed shotgun slugs, you're just going to cast a 20 or 12 ga slug, or perhaps swage a .45" bullet to put in a 12 ga sabot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts