Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been thinking about getting a .17 HMR for some time now, and I found an H&R Sportster for $150, so I couldn't resist. I love the NEF / H&R single shot guns, and this one has the 22" bull barrel on it, and the synthetic stock. I installed a bipod on the forend, and a Simmons 3-9x40mm scope on it, and managed to get to the range Monday to try and get the scope centered. Here are the last couple of groups I shot at 50 yards, using Federal 17 grain HPs, no wind to speak of:

All are three shot groups, and in the last two, I managed to get two bullets to cut the same hole. I bought a sand bag yesterday to put under the buttstock, so I hope that my next time out, I can do a little better... I always seem to flinch on one of the shots (usually the third shot), and get a flier on each group. Still, all of these groups are less than 1" at 50 yards, which is good for me, but I know the gun can do better. I really like the round... I know why they call it the "hummer" now, these little rounds really zip!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on the Sportster... I replaced the Simmons 3x-9x40mm scope with a 4x-16x40mm Centerpoint mil-dot scope. Got out to the 100yd range to sight the new scope in, and got some really great groups. Today, the best group was with CCI TNT hollowpoints:

I am very pleased with this little rifle... its excellent accuracy only demonstrates my own lack of skill. Now I just need to work on my own shortcomings as a marksman in order to get the most out of this rifle.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How's the price of ammo? From what I've heard it's a very good accurate varmint round, but .22LR is just so dang cheap...
Roughly $14 a box of 50 rounds. Expensive for plinking, but man this round stretches out there. I do not know how far the effective PBR is, but I am hitting within an inch and a half of POA anywhere from 25yrds out to 100yrds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the NEF version, got it a few years back, and have had nothing but trouble with it. Won't fire half the time, light strikes on the rim, tried three different brands/lots of ammo, but no go, and now when it does fire, the cases split at the shoulder. I'm stuck with it, cost too much to get it repaired, and the warranty has run out. However, I might try again with another in the future, I do like their rirfles and shotguns.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
I have the NEF version, got it a few years back, and have had nothing but trouble with it. Won't fire half the time, light strikes on the rim, tried three different brands/lots of ammo, but no go, and now when it does fire, the cases split at the shoulder. I'm stuck with it, cost too much to get it repaired, and the warranty has run out. However, I might try again with another in the future, I do like their rirfles and shotguns.
if you had all that trouble with it why didnt you send it in for repair? NEF/H&R warranty service is excellent.

SW

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the NEF version, got it a few years back, and have had nothing but trouble with it. Won't fire half the time, light strikes on the rim, tried three different brands/lots of ammo, but no go, and now when it does fire, the cases split at the shoulder.
Split cases are starting to be a problem with a lot of different .17HMR guns. The boards on rimfirecentral.com have members with Savages, Mossbergs, Sportsters, etc. who are having split cases with their rifles. The current hypothesis is that the brass being used by CCI (who manufactures all of the .17HMR ammo on the market right now) is sub-par, or that the neck-down process they use puts too much stress on the brass. Some members are having the same problems with their .17 Mach2 cartridges.

·
Registered
36 Posts
if you had all that trouble with it why didnt you send it in for repair? NEF/H&R warranty service is excellent.

SW
[/quote]

First, I thought it was bad ammo, had orginally gotten a box of CCI, so I purchased a box of Hornandy, but due to time constaints, a range trip was delayed for a few months. Got very busy at work, and two projects at home that needed to be completed ASAP took priority. After I realized it was the rifle, the warranty had run out, and well,I keep the rifle as reminder, if it don't work, the ammo isn't always the problem, send it back right away. Also, what I paid for it, NiB was $25 over wholesale, deal I had with my FFL at the time, so I wasn't out alot of money.

However, I got to tinkering with the rifle after reading this thread, turns out, the hammer was out of spec, the pin strikes were not only lite, but were uneven. The top part of the hammer that contacts the frame was not flat, the top ortion had a slight ridge, and not allowing the lower part of the hammer to make full contact with the trasnfer bar. Polished the top of the hammer, little at a time, used spent cases to check to make guage depth of the pin strike. Pin is now striking the rim evenly, and the depth of the indentation is equal to spent .22 mag cases from my revolver. I'll get it to the range soon, and hopefully it'll work.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apparently, some of the handi-rifles were having problems with bad transfer bars there for a while, the bars were brittle, and were breaking left and right, but NEF/H&R got that particular problem taken care of. Some of the guys on greybeard outdoors have had some problems here and there with the odd rifle, but, as SW said, it seems that for the most part, quality control on these guns is really good. And the only time I ever had to call customer service with my old Pardner shotgun, everyone I spoke with was just as friendly and helpful as could be. I will not hesitate to buy another gun from NEF / H&R, especially as good as this Sportster has been thus far.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Seeing the groups fired from this rifle is the reason i ordered one....I have some serious gropher problems here in So. Idaho, in fact the next county over has a $1.00 bounty on them. I thought for the money that this would be just the ticket for plinking and helping rid this area of the critters, or at least the ones on my acerage. I don't know how many i shot this spring with the old stand by 10-22, but anything over 25 yards was a bit of a stretch with the stock iron sights.
How was the trigger??? Over 5lbs?? If its like my Buffalo Classic i think i'll have it reworked down to 3lbs or so. I have a 6.5-20X50 scope sitting here that i thought would work perfect on it as well. What good is it to have a scope with nothing to sit on??!!
If the Sportster i get shoots as well as yours, or i am capable of making shots as well as you, its going to be a fun gun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.