Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 3 members of our extended family testing positive for Swine Flu this week. My 20 year old stepson is in the hospital due to it in South Miss and there is currently no more bed space available in that facility due to the outbreak. It may be why BO didn't go to the Miss Gulf coast yesterday. None live with us which I may be allowed some relief, they are getting help that may not be available for those infected latter. While we love them dearly it means there is still time to get a very tardy vaccine for my wife and I who are high risk.

Make no mistake this bug is brutal! I am not being an alarmist you do not want your kids getting this flu. These three are experiencing a high level of gastric symptoms going on for days, 104 deg fevers, the worst I have ever heard of not associated with food poisoning. Not what I was lead to believe about it as late as a few days ago. If you are having light symptoms or haven't seen an outbreak yet consider yourself no more than lucky.

Good luck out there.

God help you all.

·
Banned
296 Posts
i was planning on avoiding the vaccine like the plague,,(i never take the regular flu vaccine either),,usually only get minor cold that beats me down enough to miss one day of work,,maybe i better re-consider?!!
doesn't sound like a good time,,i've heard that theres been several peoples having bad issues over this,,i'll keep you and you're in my thoughts & prayers,,

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everyone is recovering so far but god what a nasty time they had of it. I was going to pass also since they had it sounding like a respiratory symptom strain but if it stomach and intestinal that is a whole other can of worms. People don't realize how deadly those can be if not treated, dehydration can kill quickly especially kids and pregnant women.

Plus I really really hate stomach bugs....

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They came back confirmed positive, took three days for that test. The "Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea" is way under stated though all also have extremely sore throats, not even able to swallow pills. Perhaps it matters how the virus infects that dictates symptoms.

Anyway dont underestimate this bug.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I'm not so worried about this bug and myself or my wife, but I'm petrified my daughter will catch it. Anything that says respiratory symptoms when your kid has asthma and other lung problems is nothing to sneeze at. I'm still going to wait a little while to see how the vaccine behaves in the general population before getting her stuck though.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
They came back confirmed positive, took three days for that test. The "Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea" is way under stated though all also have extremely sore throats, not even able to swallow pills. Perhaps it matters how the virus infects that dictates symptoms.

Anyway dont underestimate this bug.
I not calling you a lier, I'm just saying it didn't sound like it unless it's mutated again which I don't know. I believe you!!! [please don't beat me!!! :D]

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hehe never even imagined you were. Just so much mis-information about this out there right now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A 10 month old neighbor girl contracted the virus. She is responding well to the shot though, which is encouraging.

I have a 9 month old boy and it freaks me out that he might get it.

One thing that the news fails to report (they need that scare factor), is that majority of the deaths by pediatrics, is by children that have a pre existing illness.

When we went to see our peditrician, he stated that he is only giving it to children that already have some sort of ailment or illness.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Highest risk goes first, not because of any real danger in the vaccine but because there isnt near enough to go around. I doubt there ever will be.

·
Registered
833 Posts
My oldes (5year old) came home with a letter from school that said some on in the building is being tested for it. Now him getting it doesn't bother me as much (he is very strong and healthy). But the idea that my 18 month old or worse 3 month old daughter who already is having sever problems with her nasal passage (she don't have sinus at this age) may catch it from him has me scared.

Hope everyone recoves completly and quickly Rhodes!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They have thanks but they had to get an IV in the boy to re-hydrate before he went into renal failure. Unfortunatly the second wave seems to be starting. Good thing is usually each wave has milder symptoms than the last.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Generally speaking that is exactly correct. But if the virus mutates enough it could render some of your immunity moot. That is the problem with vaccines as a mutation could make them useless.

Nothing is ever simple is it.

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Both of my sons came down with it yesterday. Started on TamaFlu right away. So far so good, but they feel like crap. Nice way to start their fall break. Almost all the cases of the flu they have tested in my area have all been H1N1.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems some are getting mild case and others get hammered. Sighs who the hell knows anything any more, I will say this those exposed later are having a much easier time of it, nothing to get for the heck of it but no serious cases. The boy well hell he is 20, by far the worst case, worked with a few illegals and that has me wondering also. Not like they would let us in on that is it.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
The vaccine will be available to us mid-next month and it will be mandatory that we get it.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
May as well they shove everything else in you guys...wow that sounded bad and true all at once.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts