Had an awesome day yesterday

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Nov 9, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

When out to our friends' house in NY. They were slaughtering their 2 cows.

I grew up in the city/burbs, and have never got or been with someone getting a deer or any game, so this was all new to me.

We were there for the whole process.

The cows were less than a year old, so not too big.

He dropped them with a .22mag out of a Heritage Rough Ryder.

First one when down instantly with the first shot. He had a bad angle on the first shot on the second one, and it took a follow up shot.

He had a nice set up with a hoist and had it up to his loft on his barn, that that worked well. My buddy had never done a cow before, but had done a few deer. he had his friend over who is a Mennonite and his son in law who was raised on a cow farm. Those 2 made quick work of the skinning and gutting. I helped a bit here and there. I did use a sawzall to cut the second one in half, right down the spine.

My wife and stayed in the hose during all that.

But, when it was time to butcher/process, it was all hands on deck. We took care of the chopping/deboning on the front enclosed porch and passed it through to the women inside for the grinding and packing.

The best part to me was when my 10 year old daughter appeared at my side, grabbed a knife and started helping cut the meat down into smaller chunks for grinding. :D She had NEVER done anything like that before, much less even seen that. I was quite proud.

We also brought home 10 pounds of burger which was a huge blessing.

Quite an interesting day

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Pretty cool huh?

3. tallbump

It was interesting. I really wanted to see how I would handle it.

Just got into hunting last year...if I get anything, i am goign to have to do that stuff.

The good news is it didn't phase me in the least. I mean, I was grossly excited by it or anything weird, but it didn't bother me either.

I think part of that is I have always understood the process. I have always realized where my food comes from, so I have never had any type of moral issue with it.

I was a bit worried about the actual sight and smell but I was fine.

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I haven't been for a few years now.... But just the money you can save by using deer meat instead of hamburger is tremendous.

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I don't hunt, well maybe 45 yrs ago I went duck hunting & grandma dressed the duck. But lately, I have started thinking about what "IF" I would need to hunt to eat? I've been looking around to find a deer hunter I could tag along with. I also have butcher shop as a customer, maybe I could go hang out a day with them & watch the butchering process? It is something that 100 yrs ago, everybody around here knew how to do. A lost art?

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Not everyone who witnesses a double homicide and the disposal of the bodies describes it as "having an awesome day". Kudos to you.

7. There are plenty of small pocket guides for hunters on the subject.

If you didn't grow up doing it. I suggest getting one or two.

That way when the SHTF you won't be looking for someone else to help you.

Also I'm a SHTF you probably won't be picky about your cuts.
    Get the guts out, get the skin off, start cutting meat.

8. tallbump

That's another thing I was thinking. It is a skill that I might NEED someday. Might as well learn that while I had an opportunity

Not sure if sarcasm....:confused:

That's a great idea, might have to look for one of those

9. cicpup

Vermont
    Rule of thumb with my posts. When in doubt, read it again as if it was humor. Then you'll usually be correct.

10. papataylor

papataylor Member

We never did much butchering. But lord I can take em to auction and sell em off mighty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

11. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

In the mid 80s, I worked for two years in a wholesale beef processing plant. I was primarily their meat grinder. I would usually grind around 3000 to 4000 pounds of beef every day and then also process half of that into different sized pre-formed patties.

12. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Growing up in sportsman's paradise "Louisiana" I've been doing that sort of thing since I can remember...it's a lifestyle that's been waning in lots of places with all of our cities growing so much and people moving here to from various cities to find work.

But there is a huge satisfaction in knowing exactly where your food comes from, how it happened, and I think most importantly that it was'nt packed full of chemicals to make it take on lots of water or stay bright red while the inside of the meat turns brown like I've seen with grocery store beef.

13. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Spoken like a TRUE vegetarian?

14. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Technically it would be bovinicide as no humans were killed. :rolleyes: What you don't realize that those were Islamic Jihad bovines that had been planted by ISIS by ex soviet spetnaz operators under orders from Putin. :eek:

15. cicpup

Vermont
    Ewwwww.. Gross. Quit trying to read too much into my posts. You'll be wrong every time.

16. cicpup

Vermont
    "Animals are people too, Maaaannnn!"

Rest of your post is funny as hell.

17. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Just remember I belong to PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals. :D So according to that logic I guess I am a cannibal. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  18. cicpup

Vermont
    Nothing to be ashamed of. When the apocalypse hits and the food runs out my neighbors will be invited to dinner. In their honor. So to speak.

Welcome to Terminus.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Reminds me of a song by the Arrogant Worms.

I am cow, hear me moo
    I weigh twice as much as you,
    and I look good on the barbecue....

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FNUe2Xp6IDw"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FNUe2Xp6IDw[/ame]

20. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter