Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have noticed that I wasn't on HPFF on Friday, or all weekend. Friday morning we had to put our 13 year old Pomeranian, Cookie, to sleep. She had kidney failure. It hit the whole family pretty hard, especially my daughter Allison. The dog has been with our family for, literally, 1/2 of my daughter's entire life. It is, literally, losing a family member. it sux.

We're almost certainly going to get a new family dog. Right now, we're thinking either a Papillon or a Lhasa Apso. Preferably a young adult. Like our last pet, this would be an indoors pet. Only time it would go outside would be supervised bio-breaks during the day or a walk (on leash). Think of it as an Apartment Dog.

If it were just my wife, we wouldn't get another pet. It's just so hard to see her go. But SWoMBO is willing to put Allison's emotional well being over her own sorrow.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
It is hard, they are family... last night Ollie was freaking out looking for Oreo to come eat the mouse he cornered. Mouse got away, Ollie kept coming to me chattering away(unusual for him, he has to be really upset over something to do it) then staring at Oreo's favorite toy, then he would go to where Oreo liked to plop down in the way and sniff for him... went on until I went to bed and Ollie crawled in and snuggled in tight, another unusual move for him, he normally hunts for 4-5 hours then comes to bed and sleeps by my head not up against me.

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
Sorry for you loss, Kirk. Been there. You're right - it sux.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
Never did like having to put a family pet down. Sorry you had to do itKirk.

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We're trying to figure out another dog but we also want to try to give ourselves time.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think we'd like to try to find a young adult (2-3 yo) of either a Bichon Frise or a Papillon, maybe a Lhasa Apso.

You guys have any connections? I don't really want to buy from a breeder, or at least I don't want to pay breeder's prices.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sorry to hear this. We lost our purebred poodle Smokey about two years ago. He was 17. The penance we pay for the joy and love that they give us is knowing that we will probably out live them. We recently went through a local rescue/adoption agency and got a poodle/bichon mix. Huckleberry is about 3 years old and is very sweet and playful dog. I would suggest that you google dog adoption agencies in your area to see if they might have a fit for you. Some of these poor dogs have been through a lot (Huck was a 'street dog' for the first years of his life) and giving them a loving and stable home is very satisfying.

Again, sorry for your loss.

·
Super Moderator
5,068 Posts
I think we'd like to try to find a young adult (2-3 yo) of either a Bichon Frise or a Papillon, maybe a Lhasa Apso.

You guys have any connections? I don't really want to buy from a breeder, or at least I don't want to pay breeder's prices.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
How far do you want to travel? There's a "No Kill" rescue headquartered in teh house I grew up in. No idea what they might have, or even if you'd be interested in a rescue

Reactions: lklawson

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know it’s a tough time currently after this and I’ve been there many times before as I’m sure you have as well. I changed how I think about it after I read this a few years ago and I always share it when people think their friend is gone on, hope it makes sense as it’s a bit to read but it makes all the sense in the word if you’ve ever loved an animal before.

“Dogs Don’t Die”
Font Automotive tire Rectangle Circle Pattern

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Sorry man. It always hard losing a small friend, but time does heal some of that.

A cat I got as a kitten when I was in sixth grade lived to be just shy of 24. He always slept between my shins. He passed in 2005 and I still pull one leg up in my sleep to roll over. We’ve had other cats, had a ferret, a rabbit, had the usually hamsters, gerbils and even guinea pigs when the kids were younger.

Wife has a hedgehog, daughter (27) has a cat and a large goofy but insanely smart Lab/Shepard mix as a service dog. If it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t have another pet. Just not the end result I want to go through anymore.

·
Premium Member
21,623 Posts
Sorry, that's a long-long time to lose a dog. I am thinking I have a bout 24 more years in this world. I now measure in dog lives.

As for Bichons? I have a special dislike for those bastards. They love to shit and piss in the house even after being house broke. Just like the Yorkies. As a former flooring installer that's where I get my reference for dog breeds.

Reactions: Rerun and lklawson

·
Registered
16 Posts
dont wait to find another furry friend. i went thru this a couple years ago with my yorkie. as much as i missed her, i knew i wanted to find another dog, and happened upon a havanese whose owners put up for adoption. been a great little dog, even if she can be a pain in the ass at times. recently a co-worker lost her little companion, and i offered her the same advice. she found a rescue dog and has been in love with her ever since. its hard but it will get better

·
Administrator
28,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dont wait to find another furry friend. i went thru this a couple years ago with my yorkie. as much as i missed her, i knew i wanted to find another dog, and happened upon a havanese whose owners put up for adoption. been a great little dog, even if she can be a pain in the ass at times. recently a co-worker lost her little companion, and i offered her the same advice. she found a rescue dog and has been in love with her ever since. its hard but it will get better
So far, the Rescues I've found locally are insistent about a fully fenced in back yard ( which I do not have). I wonder what their policy is for Apartment Dwellers?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
Local recues have turned into kill shelters for any dog that isn't purebred. And those dogs they want outrageous fees for($500++)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Local recues have turned into kill shelters for any dog that isn't purebred. And those dogs they want outrageous fees for($500++)
Not here in Texas. Most of the dogs in rescues are, in fact, rescued. And we saw no purebreds in our search. Our poodle bichon mix was a rescue, and in talking with the rescue operators they avoid at all costs having to send them to shelters. It took about 6 months to find the right dog for us and many of the dogs we looked at and the few we applied for were WAY less than $500. Sorry if you had a bad experience but we did not find that to be the case here in DFW.

Here is Huickleberry:

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
Not here in Texas. Most of the dogs in rescues are, in fact, rescued. And we saw no purebreds in our search. Our poodle bichon mix was a rescue, and in talking with the rescue operators they avoid at all costs having to send them to shelters. It took about 6 months to find the right dog for us and many of the dogs we looked at and the few we applied for were WAY less than $500. Sorry if you had a bad experience but we did not find that to be the case here in DFW.

Here is Huickleberry:

View attachment 73503
My woman runs a rescue in Bandera. You'll be hard pressed to find a purebred animal anywhere at her place. She takes in everything though. Livestock seizures, horses, domestics, exotics, birds, you name it. She usually gets calls from the shelters to see if she has room for their overflow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts