Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a fellow at my local gun store and he told me that you can purchase and possess a handgun at age 21 and you can own and possess a handgun at age 18 (no transfer required if a gift from parents or grandparents). I also confirmed this on the California Attorney General's website. I believe a little while back someone else also told me the same on one of my threads. I'm very happy to have learned this since I can take my guns to the range now with no worry. Just wanted to share since someone else on this forum told me on one of my threads that it was illegal. :angel:

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Federal law only restricts handgun and handgun ammunition sales to persons under 21 if you are purchasing from a retail firearms dealer. Anyone 18 or older may purchase a handgun from a private person. Some states do restrict this further and lock it down to 21 for everybody, or in the case of California require all gun purchases to go through an FFL. Here in AZ, and I believe most other states, an 18 year old can legally purchase a handgun, just not from a dealer.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was also told that you cannot purchase a handgun from an FFL at the age of 18 however, I was told that you can own and possess a handgun at the age of 18.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Governor Mark Sanford has signed a bill that lowers the minimum age for South Carolina residents to own a handgun to 18.

Federal law still prohibits firearm retailers and dealers from selling handguns to people younger than 21. But the state law now allows individuals to sell handguns to anyone 18 or over.

South Carolina is one of 18 states -- and the only one in the South -- that had set 21 as the age for handgun ownership.

The new law took effect as soon as the governor signed it.

Proponents had argued that people who are 18 could serve in the military and carry handguns to protect the rights of others to own guns, but when they return home they couldn't own a handgun.

THIS was April 3 2008

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
In MI an 18yr old can own a handgun but the federal restriction on an FFL purchase does apply!

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
in the great Nation of Texas 18 you can own a handgun, Heck after 5 years of being convicted a felon can own a firearm. i talked ot a dealer here he said simple , fill out the form and they call if in if passes you get it, He has had a few and only one was turned down. But we need a open carry law like AZ, Folks ion AZ enjoy your open carry law m98

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.