handgun reciprocity

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by cicpup, Apr 7, 2015.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Handgun reciprocity. Must be nice to be able to cross state lines and not have to unload your CC piece and leave it visible or lock it away in your trunk? As a resident of Vermont where handgun permits are non-existent, I wouldn't know. As it is I can carry concealed in a whopping three other states. Oklahoma, Arizona and Alaska. Three places I not only have no desire to go but I'd probably end up in prison before I ever made it there with a handgun. So although I enjoy great freedom, sadly it ends at the state line in every direction. And as some of you are already aware I happen to live smack dab on the VT/NH border. That means several times a day I'm in my car unloading and loading my firearm. Not only an immense pain in the @$$ but also rather dangerous.

Well wish me luck because hopefully this nonsense is coming to an end. No Vermont won't be requiring licensing. It'll still be the bastion of freedom for all to enjoy. Instead, yesterday I began the process to acquire my New Hampshire non-resident pistol permit. If all goes well not only will I be able to hop across the border willie-nillie without worrying about forgetting to comply with the law, I'll also be able to carry in another 27 states. Unfortunately I'll still have to get through nanny state hell and make it to Pennsylvania safely. Perhaps I'll buy a boat and sail from New Hampshire to North Carolina giving the eastern seaboard the finger the entire trip. Safer than trying to get through New York.

2. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I've thought about getting an Ohio nonresident permit, or even a Utah or Arizona one.

I would love to be able to carry in Ohio.

Also want to make a trip to Disney in a year or two (probably just a pipe dream-that place is EXPENSIVE) and would love to be able to carry the whole way there

I would have to check recipircatory the whole way

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't think you'll need luck, though I wish it to you anyway.

What's the curriculum for NH CC? In Ohio it's pretty much straight up NRA Basic Pistol with range time (though it's been relaxed a bit). It's entirely doable for anyone who doesn't have Parkinson's.

Is that actually possible? You've piqued my curiosity. Does the State control waters out to a certain distance, applying State Law or is it straight up U.S. waters?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. There are several states where you can get your out of state permit online, Virginia is one of them.

5. Simple solution, well not so simple. It is legal to ship your gun to yourself, you just need an address to ship to. That can be a UPS store in Pennsylvania. It still means you have to travel through the nanny state unarmed though.

6. cicpup

Vermont
    Nothing that complicated. An application, a check for $100 and a letter from the VT State Police saying I'm a good boy. Currently waiting for my application and the letter to be sent back to me from the popo. The dispatcher called today and told me it's being delayed. Why you ask? Because the Captain didn't get a chance to sign it yesterday and he's off for the next two days. She promised to get it in the mail Mon or Tue.

7. budman70

budman70 Supporting Member

As of the 23rd of march ohio honors all out of state permits. Pa can now carry in ohio but ohio is still not honored in pa.

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

This crap needs to end. If you get a permit you should be able to carry in all states. Its a Royal pain

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

You, cicpup, can OC in Colorado, but without a VT CCP that's all you can do. CO doesn't recognize non-resident cc permits even if they have reciprocity with the state you have the non-res permit for.

10. You can carry in all states. If he can get a commission from one of the local PDs he could too.

11. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

12. I have my permit in PA, aswell as VA. but i got my VA while i lived there. and no longer do. so im not sure if it is valid or not?

I guess an email to the district attorney or sherif might clarify. but PA is recognized by most places i go.....except Maryland

13. 0311

0311 Member

Michigan recognizes RESIDENT permits from all states. Sadly, not all states recognize ours.

14. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

15. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Might have to take trip to Ohio over the summer, just because....

Although when I was in Columbus last summer, I saw the stupid no guns everywhere :mad:

16. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Vessels in transit are exempt from state law, but you must be in transit.

17. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

I have the Utah non-resident.

18. budman70

budman70 Supporting Member

Just checked out the Pa AG website and Ohio is now honored in Pa. :)

19. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Fixed that for ya.

20. cicpup

Vermont
    To be honest I really only care about NH.