Handgun with 995TS barrel?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by 0bitbucket0, Mar 8, 2017.

1. 0bitbucket0

0bitbucket0 Member

I have seen claims that the C9 shares a lot of parts with the 995TS. Does anyone know if it is possible to mount a carbine length barrel on a handgun? Has anyone tried this, do the parts fit, and does the gun function safely and reliably?

Please be kind, I have a legitimate and reasonable application (forced on me by less legitimate and less than reasonable local gun control laws where I live).

Thanks in advance for any constructive input!

2. Had that idea a few years back. The barrel mounts are SIGNIFICANTLY different and will not fit. No way, no how. Sorry man.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Little parts. Trigger, sear, crap like that.

4. 0bitbucket0

0bitbucket0 Member

Thanks!

Thanks to you both for clarifying, saved me a bunch of work!

Any ideas on putting together a frankengun 9mm or .40 semi-auto handgun with a barrel longer than 8 inches where the magazine is in the grip? I know there are a ton of options out there but they all seem to have the magazine port in front of the grip 'AR style' or in some cases behind the grip (bullpups). Local ordinance criminalizes/prohibits these as assault weapons, along with a barrel shroud allowing one to use 2 hands (so I can't just take a 995 and remove the stock...). The Kel-Tec Sub-2000 is close if you take off the polymer barrel-shroud, but the long bolt assembly in the back might be considered a stock, making it illegal.

5. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    What country do you live in? :eek:

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

6. 0bitbucket0

0bitbucket0 Member

Cook County US. The new concealed carry law is incredibly unclear as to exactly what is legal and what isn't, but as far as I can tell, the magazine has to be contained in the grip, barrel shrouds or grips protecting a left hand from burns are prohibited, silencers and compensators, folding stocks, laser sights, 'short barreled shotguns and rifles', and anything made cheaply that can melt under 800 degrees (presumably to keep poor people from being able to afford weapons).

7. Ouch, and double ouch.

8. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Sounds like you all need to vote in some different officials there!!

9. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    They have, but the 250% turnouts kill the live vote :mad:
    :zombie: voters always get their way! ;)

10. rowiebowie

rowiebowie Supporting Member

Texas
    Welcome Obit ! ! !

Try and search for some state/local groups that may have legally researched the laws in your area. However, as you've said, if the law is written unclearly then you won't know for sure. They probably wrote the law in a way they can interpret as "they" see fit (and they don't see fit for you to own what you'd like).:mad:

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Ambiguity is a lawyer's best friend, RB :(

12. backbencher

backbencher Supporting Member

Texas
    Not understanding why you're trying to put a long bbl on a HiPoint pistol. If you can buy the HiPoint pistol, just carry that. Sounds like they might prohibit HiPoints as the frames are plastic and the slides & bolts are Zamak, IIRC.

If for some reason you've GOT to have a bbl that sticks out the front of the slide, pick you up an RIA 1911 from the Phillipines for $400 or so, and throw a SARCO long bbl on there, SARCO sells 1911 bbls up to 16".

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/451911barrel16roto.aspx

[​IMG]

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'm confused. The law says:

And the Saturday night special law hasn't changed so either the pistols were always illegal or nobody ever cared.

The carbines are specifically listed as banned. I hit up a buddy on Illinoiscarry.com for info. He said the HP handguns are for sale all over the place at the local LGS.

I'm just curious as to the nature of this request.

Are you trying to make a pistol grip only rifle? (Which is specifically listed as illegal.)

If the laws are fuzzy to you, they're fuzzy to LE also. Not sure I would advise moving forward with this project of yours.