Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I travel a lot for work. I cannot carry while at work, but I can carry during the off hours while on the road. I am interested in recommendations about what to if SHTF in a hotel. I am specifically concerned about wall penetration.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My best reccomendation on this is that, while I do believe that you can legally carry handguns into hotels (if anyone has some further information on this, please post it here!), I wouldn't want to shoot at anybody or anything unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. As for the wall penetration, yes, anything from a .22 LR to a .500 S&W can and will cut through thin wallboard, sheetrock, etc., like a knife through butter. And, if you're concerned about over-penetration, your best bet might just be to carry a lighter-weight bullet with a hollowpoint-type construction so that you get maximum expansion and less penetration. Of course, bullet like this type have problems with not getting ENOUGH penetration into a target to reach vital organs, etc., so they might actually be more of a liability than a help, depending on the caliber and the type of weapon you are shooting.

Will post more later!

Jag 8)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Brother...if you drop hammer on someone, your last worry is over penetration. All hell will be unleashed on you. you will go to jail. You will go before a judge. You will spend LOTS of money. Pray that it never happens. But if it does.... I hope you manage to over come the situation and financially survive it. The poor little crack heads aunt that he has not seen in 20 years will miss his company and break your a$$ in civil court. Ask O.J, not that he wasn't guilty.... just ask him. know what I mean?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry...I reread your post. It says SHTF...why worry about it? the has SHTF. all bets are off. sling all the lead you can.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey DB, lots of truth in your first post, you are in a world of hurt once you kill someone even if it is justified... However sometimes you got to do whacha gotta do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ooppps back to topic, as far as wall penetration goes I wouldn't be too concerned with that as said above wall penetration will occur frangable bullets will help if you can get them but just do your best to survive with as little collateral damage as possible.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A 410 shell through a judge would definately help with bullet travel if your looking for a new gun. they sell shot shells in handgun calibers but never used em so cant say much about em

·
Registered
974 Posts
And, if you're concerned about over-penetration, your best bet might just be to carry a lighter-weight bullet with a hollowpoint-type construction so that you get maximum expansion and less penetration.
That only matters if every shot hits the target, and you can't count on that. From what I've read on The Box Of Truth, hollowpoints don't significantly differ from other rounds when they hit walls. The hollow tip just gets filled with drywall.

I like the .410 pistol idea, I'd be interested to see ballistics on that. If my day gets that far, I'll look into it and post what I find.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
if you hit the torso with HP's, over penetration shouldn't be an issue.

the verdict on the judge is somewhere on box o truth. Cliff notes: good snake gun w' .410

·
Registered
638 Posts
If it is posted anywhere at the hotel 'no weapons on these premises' then legally you can not take weapons inside the hotel, but that also depends on the state you are staying in and their laws, as state laws do not transfer from state to state.

·
Registered
117 Posts
the verdict on the judge is somewhere on box o truth. Cliff notes: good snake gun w' .410
[/quote]

I think the judge is good for close up defense, I dont think your gonna be too far away in a hotel room.

·
Banned
1,412 Posts
+1 on the Judge. I want one of those so bad. The are bulky like a Hi-Point but with a .410 over penetration of walls would not be an issue but would sure ruin the bad guys day.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
When I travel "on my own" I usually pack along a revolver set up with snake shot in the first cylinder up. I dunno maybe it'll dissuade someone. After that it's gonna be hollowpoints at center mass. "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6." and "Better you than me."

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
What I carry is what I carry. I don't know that I'd think about whether I was in a hotel or not, or think about overpenetration. I wouldn't shoot at some one if the shot would go through a wall and hit someone else anyway, at home, or in a hotel. That's one of the first rules of shooting any firearm. Be aware of where the shot you fire will go. I'd try to position myself so that the shot, if missed, wouldn't go through a wall. But that's easy for me to say with time to think about it sitting at the keyboard.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I carry a S&W Sigma 9mm. I don't really concern myself with a round going through a wall. If I genuinely need to defend myself in a hotel room, I'm going to take care of me and mine and I'll let the chips fall where they may. Not that I'm going to go blasting the place up like a Schwarzenegger movie, but you can't worry about blowing a hole in the TV in the next room over when your "neighbor" is watching Debbie Does Dallas. ^-^

·
Registered
447 Posts
What exactly do you consider SHTF in a hotel room?

Riots outside?
A rock band trashing the next room?

Unless they are in your room they are not your problem.

There are several good security devises to make unwanted entry very difficult. Get a couple or those devices and don't shoot at anything until it is in the room with you.

You can then say you did everything possible to avoid controntation.

If it is a hotel you may have overpenetration. If it is a motel, many of them have concrete cells that the rooms are set into. There is 6-8" of concrete between you and the next room.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In South Carolina...if you are a resident without a CWP....you may bring your handgun to and from your home/car concealed....then car/hotel room concealed. Also, if you're camping, you tent is considered you "home" and you CAN defended it legally!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ah, excuse me, but if you have to defend yourself in a hotel room with a firearm, are you REALLY going to worry about the walls??!!!!! Secondly, If you can't hit a full sized man target at ten feet, maybe you should spend some more time at the range. Also, on that note, the next time you're at the range, see how many rounds you can squeeze off while saying "one-Mississippi" and that's the number of rounds you'll be hit with if you hesitate for ONE SECOND!! When Dr Death comes busting down your hotel door, your cool head and swift actions mean YOU survive which is what you intended or else you wouldn't have brought the gun in the first place. Right??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts