Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After saying I was good with what I had, I decided I did want a micro compact 9mm . A thought that was spurred on by Rugers release of the Max-9. I missed the one that became available at the LGS. I thought I would go with a KAHR, either the CW9, or even the diminutive CM9, but they were not available for order. There was both a Sig 365 and a SCCY CPX2, both with a factory installed RDS. I thought I wanted this sighting system, but after handling both of these pistols I nixed the idea. The more I handled them, the less I liked the idea. The new Taurus GX4 showed promise, but I nixed that one as well. That left me with the GLOCK 43X.

I read up,on it. Actually like the way the single stack GLOCK’s fit in my hand. Much like the KAHR. Went into the shop to pick up my birthday gift to myself. Had it laying on the counter and Mark the Enabler (my favorite LGS clerk) said…."Have you looked at the Shield Plus?"

So I looked at the S&W Shield plus. At first I was Luke warm, I do like how the GLOCK 43X fit my hand. But the S&W fit it well too. It has a very sandpaper like finish though. On just the grip alone, I still would have gone to the Dark Side. But the trigger on the Shield? Just wow! And the Shield just liked like it was put together just a bit better. Then I decided to compare the internals. Again the Shield won out, just seemed to be more substantially built.

I put the GLOCK back into the box and took the S&W Shield Plus over to the holster counter where I found a Safari Land retention holster. Happy Birthday To Me!

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
May the blessing of the universe fall upon The Enabler for preserving your dignity. Don't think I could deal with you becoming a fanboi! Oh, and
Happy Birthday

·
Premium Member
35,832 Posts
Yeah, the Shield Plus trigger is amazing. If it had pointed more naturally for me, I’d have bought one. For me, the Sig just lines up on target better.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
Happy birthday, and congrats on the new pistol. That's the best kind of present.

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts
Glock fanboi that I am we talked the other night and I told him the Shield+ was a better gun VS the 43X because of the trigger, and capacity. Only thing I don't like the roughness of the Shield grip.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts
Happy Birthday Greg!!!

I get ya on all of those pistols though. I had the same issue with 3 separate ones... The Springfield Hellcat, Sig P365 and the Glock 43. Out of the 3 of them the Hellcat fit the best and just felt right. Point and shoot seemed almost 2nd nature with it. The Sig P365 also felt great, shot like a sig and light recoil considering the size. The glock 43, felt OK and the trigger was just eh. Lots of creep in the beginning but reset and follow up seemed to be ok.

I got to test all 3 of them out over a 2 day period (had to digest what I did and how I shot). Believe it or not I was most accurate with the 43 at 7 yards. Next was the Sig and coming up the rear the hellcat - and it felt the best initially and felt great firing it. But all were more than accurate enough for carry.

So what did I wind up doing? I bought all 3... my birthday is next week and with all the crap I've been through over the last 3 months I figured why the hell not - only live once. The sig came with the Romeo zero, so I am officially in the micro red dot world!!!

Going to buy a zev trigger for the Glock - it was either that or Apex. They are supposed to have a nice clean break - we will see.

I now have 7 different carry guns... Taurus PT 24/7, Beretta Cougar both in 40 and Hellcat, P365, Glock 43, Glock 19, Glock 26. All have they're niche in my rotation.

Need more 9mm, good thing prices coming down.

Which reminds me, I just bought 15 boxes of IMI Die-Cut 115 Gr JHP for $285 + tax but free shipping. $18.99 a box for bargain but very good SD ammo is pretty damn good. Yes it is 35.99 on the site but the 18.99 is special "birthday pricing". So if your birthday is in June or July go get some as that is an awesome price!!

·
Premium Member
6,851 Posts
My Glock 43X has a pretty darn good trigger pull after I broke it in good. Took about 400-500 rounds before it got real sweet for me.

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glock fanboi that I am we talked the other night and I told him the Shield+ was a better gun VS the 43X because of the trigger, and capacity. Only thing I don't like the roughness of the Shield grip.
Welcome back….now just be good!!!

Yeah, I am liking the Shield. I had one of the 1st gen Shields and liked the pistol a lot, just not the cartridge I bought it in. The 40mS&W. I did not find the recoil to be objectionable, but the torque would put my arthritis wrists in spasms for a couple of days. Thst thing would twist in your hands something fierce. I have 100 rounds of CCI Blazer through my Shield 9 Plus and another 23 rounds of my reloads. This one behaves. Liking it a lot. And you are correct about the Shield Plus trigger. It is great, The Taurus GX4 has a trigger just about as good, I will let you try them out side by side when you come back down.

As to the GLOCK? I have never liked them until the 43 and 48 came out, I like them as they just feel better in my hand somehow.

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happy Birthday Greg!!!

I get ya on all of those pistols though. I had the same issue with 3 separate ones... The Springfield Hellcat, Sig P365 and the Glock 43. Out of the 3 of them the Hellcat fit the best and just felt right. Point and shoot seemed almost 2nd nature with it. The Sig P365 also felt great, shot like a sig and light recoil considering the size. The glock 43, felt OK and the trigger was just eh. Lots of creep in the beginning but reset and follow up seemed to be ok.

I got to test all 3 of them out over a 2 day period (had to digest what I did and how I shot). Believe it or not I was most accurate with the 43 at 7 yards. Next was the Sig and coming up the rear the hellcat - and it felt the best initially and felt great firing it. But all were more than accurate enough for carry.

So what did I wind up doing? I bought all 3... my birthday is next week and with all the crap I've been through over the last 3 months I figured why the hell not - only live once. The sig came with the Romeo zero, so I am officially in the micro red dot world!!!

Going to buy a zev trigger for the Glock - it was either that or Apex. They are supposed to have a nice clean break - we will see.

I now have 7 different carry guns... Taurus PT 24/7, Beretta Cougar both in 40 and Hellcat, P365, Glock 43, Glock 19, Glock 26. All have they're niche in my rotation.

Need more 9mm, good thing prices coming down.

Which reminds me, I just bought 15 boxes of IMI Die-Cut 115 Gr JHP for $285 + tax but free shipping. $18.99 a box for bargain but very good SD ammo is pretty damn good. Yes it is 35.99 on the site but the 18.99 is special "birthday pricing". So if your birthday is in June or July go get some as that is an awesome price!!
The Hellcat is one I have never tried. I need to I guess.

I have shot the Sig 365 a few times. I do like it but the handle only agrees with me about 80%. It just does not fit mr very well I guess. The GLOCK triggers I just have never liked. They seem spongy to me, however their newer triggers are a vast improvement over the old ones. Still a bit mushy feeling to me though. I agonized a lot between the G43 and the Shield Plus. The S&W ultimately got the nod mostly because of its trigger.

Still, I am not a real fan of the GLOCK, but have always recommended the GLOCK those who ask me what handgun to buy, especially if they are only going to have only one handgun. I really ought to get me one.

As far as the Taurus GX4? I did go back and buy it. Not shot it yet, but the little gun just impressed me a lot. Looking forward to reviewing it. Expecting good things from it.

As far as carry 9’s. I have a Ruger P95 , Ruger American Compact, the Ruger Security 9 - both the duty size and compact, The Taurus 692 revolver (that I usually leave the 9mm cylinder in) , the Bond Arms Roughneck, and now the Shield Plus and GX4. They all have their own little niches as well….sorta…the Shield Plus and GX4 obviously will share the same role. which is incidentally pretty much the role that the Security 9 Compact has been holding down.

I do sometimes get sentimental though and turn to my other calibers, but made a decision some time ago that my primary focus cartridges would be the 9mm, 223, and 308, plus the 12 gauge shot shell and .22 Long Rifle.

Reactions: Visper

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Glock 43X has a pretty darn good trigger pull after I broke it in good. Took about 400-500 rounds before it got real sweet for me.
The G43 and G48, and all of the Gen 5 double stack GLOCKS have vastly superior triggers compared to the earlier generation GLOCKS. Still a little mushy though. @TNTRAILERTRASH has a GLOCK with one of the best triggers I have ever felt. Can’t remember the moder number or generation, but it is a 40 S&W IIRC. I do not think it’s a factory trigger though, Aftermarket I think.

·
Premium Member
35,832 Posts
I got to handle a Taurus G4 Thursday. Felt good, the trigger is great, and I can actually reach the mag release. At $400, it would be a contender.
Also got to handle a Ruger Max. Decent trigger, and if one is looking to do a red dot, a very good place to start.

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts
You know Greg I have called you a fickle bitch in the past. I now know you come by it honestly. You're a Gemini! Split personality!

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know Greg I have called you a fickle bitch in the past. I now know you come by it honestly. You're a Gemini! Split personality!
Yeah….it’s the dark side of me trying to buy a GLOCK!

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to the range I belong to today. They had a KAHR CT9.

You already know the rest of the story.

·
Premium Member
21,295 Posts
Went to the range I belong to today. They had a KAHR CT9.

You already know the rest of the story.
Pro Shots? Got your tent set up in the back yard, air mattress and the extension cord ran for the TV?

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pro Shots? Got your tent set up in the back yard, air mattress and the extension cord ran for the TV?
Got a whole ‘nother house in Leaksville. I’m good. ;)

Reactions: TNTRAILERTRASH
1 - 18 of 18 Posts