Happy birthday to me!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Uraijit, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Well yesterday (25th) was my birthday. The two XDs we ordered on the 19th showed up. Still no CWPs though...

Crazy guy that I am, I had to play with it, so I was having my brother time me stripping it, and reassembling it. Somehow I managed to get the recoil spring jammed up. The slide wouldn't move forward or back. I took all the drift pins out in an effort to free stuff up. Didn't work. Finally, I just started gently tapping the end of the barrel with a hammer, and it slowly moved the spring back into place.

Once I had the slide back off, I now had the new task of putting the grip safety back in place. After many many attempts and failures, I finally figured out how it was supposed to go. I would have totally disassembled it anyway, because I always like to take them apart so I know the gun inside and out. But Normally I would have done it under more controlled circumstances. :roll:

Of course all my friends had to make fun of me for being like a little kid, who breaks his toys as soon as he gets them.

Fastest strip time: 6.33 seconds.
    Fastest reassembly time: 8.42 seconds
    Slowest strip time: 15.7 seconds.
    Slowest reassembly: 2.5+ hours ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My brother got me a new 250 GB harddrive for the computer in my Tahoe, and my wife got me an Apple Bluetooth keyboard. It fits perfectly on top of my center console.

[​IMG]

I also ordered 5 more of these:

[​IMG]

All told, it was a pretty good day.

2. neothespian

neothespian Member

Happy 25!!! Impressive take you got there......

3. Nice man, you will love the Xd.

4. unclerob

unclerob Member

Happy belated!
    Very cool toys you got.
    You call that a pretty good day? I call it outstanding.

5. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Thanks guys, it's actually 24 for me now. I'm still a young 'un.

Unclerob, I suppose you're right, it was outstanding! Except for that little bump in the road with the recoil spring... I'm gonna get a "Don's Guide Rod" setup for it. For $25 it will smooth things up a little, and it looks totally bad-ass!

Gonna polish the barrel and part of the slide. Pics will be forthcoming.

Here's what the front of the gun will look like after barrel polishing, and guide rod upgrade.
    [​IMG]

Here's how I want to do the slide. I don't think I'll polish the other smaller parts though like this guy did. I will polish the grip safety though.

I'll probably start on it this weekend.
    [​IMG]

6. Mike_AZ

Mike_AZ U.S.S. Member

Darn, I have to wait till I get home to see the pics. Photobucket blocked at work. :( Happy Birthday

7. Happy Birthday Uraijit :) And those are some really nice looking XD's :D I also liked the keyboard! :p

8. Happy birthday!

It's now been ~30 days since I submitted my paperwork for my CWP and it is still not here yet. If you get yours before I get mine, I'm gonna be a little ticked off....

9. Happy Birthday!

I almost remember that age :lol:

10. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Happy birthday!
    Sounds like you made out quite well!

11. YAY! APPLE PRODUCTS! When you goin to the range to use them as target practice? ;-)

12. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    +1 to Taurus :)

Happy belated birthday, seems like you had a good one!

13. unclerob

unclerob Member

In case you don't know what happened, to get things stuck, check out this guy's story. It sounds exactly like your story;

"I must say that I have quite a bit of experience with various pistols and revolvers and am a retired Sheriff's deputy and police firearm instructor and armorer. I enjoy your blogs and postings and appreciate your input and thoughts.
    Having said that,

If you really want to have a problem, try reassembling an XD with the disassembly lever in the assembled position. The gun will start to go together without much effort and then it will REALLY be stuck!!!
    It took a visit to my local gun shop, a call to the factory, and a lot of work with a plastic hammer to make things right. "

There is more to this story where I got this from. Bottom of the page @: http://tinyurl.com/33mgut

Also, just an FYI. I had considered replacing the guide rod in one of my Glocks and was cautioned against it by a gunsmith and a Glock armorer.
    They said the stock guide rod was built to flex, to a certain degree, with the ploymer frame of the gun and to restrict that flex would transfer undue strain to other parts that were not specifically designed to handle the stress.
    I have no idea how this may or may not relate to the design of the XD, but just thought I would share the info so you could check it out for your gun.

14. Uraijit, Happy Birthday my friend! Congrats on the XD's, you're gonna love 'em.

15. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

That is very interesting, and it does sound very much like what happened. I didn't even think to look to see if the lever was down or not. That may very well have been the case. I'll have to pay close attention in the future.

I don't know about the guide rod design either. That is interesting, but it looks like folks have been using these things for a few years now without any ill effects. I guess if there are problems, the lifetime warranty will come into play. ;)

Still haven't had time to go shoot them yet. A buddy did give me about 500 rounds of tumbled brass yesterday, so I'll probably load some up in the morning to send downrange.

16. 47_MasoN_47

47_MasoN_47 You know who I am Member

That's what I'm talkin about, Taurus knows how it is.

17. Happy birthday and congrats on the XD's

18. Happy B day! Got some really nice goodies too :)

19. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Yeah, I am NOT a fan of Apple, and have vowed that I will not buy an Apple computer. I do own an Ipod Shuffle (it was given to me as a gift) and this keyboard (also a gift). I have never purchased an Apple product, and never will, after being forced to use them in the newspaper business for a number of years, and learning first-hand what utter pieces of garbage they are...

The keyboard's nice though. ;)